All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:28 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Would you play the Fall of Gondolin supplement if it was finished
Yeah! Sounds cool! 60%  60%  [ 62 ]
If it had models with it, yeah! 21%  21%  [ 22 ]
Dunno? 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Nah, I'm sticking with LOTR!!! 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Whats the 'Fall of Gondolin'??? 12%  12%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 103
 Post subject: The Fall of Gondolin Supplement (under construction)
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Greetings All,

1stly I am quite new to the site so bare with me :?

2ndly I apologise for the seemingly randomness of the Fall of Gondolin, cause it seems abit out of place with the newly relased SoG and BoPF supplements and everything.

I'm Andy, son of Richard, and for some time now I have been playing the LOTR battle game. But to be different, :( , I decided to make a supplement from the First Age as the GW may never get the rights to do so. It was whilst reading the 'Book of Lost Tales : part 2' that i came across the Fall of Gondolin story! It was amazing and i thought what a great idea to make it into a supplement (certainly different!)

However, making a supplement isn't a real easy task as i discovered! I've been working on it on and off for about an year or so now (but with the new siege rules I have picked it up again with great enthusiasm!) As it stands I have created the following for the supplement:

 Background
 History of the City of Gondolin
 ‘Advanced Rules’ (for city fighting – which could be used as house rules in the SoG?)
 Status for the various houses of the Gondolindrim
 Status for good heroes (including Tuor, Turgon, Idril, Rog and many more)
 Status for the Hoards of Morgoth (including new rules for balrogs and introducing dragons!)
 Status for evil heroes (such as Maeglin, Othrod, and Gothmog (the lord of the balrogs that is))
 And various scenarios (some still under construction or in need of play testing) making up a 12 battle campaign with 3 acts (rather like the SoG)

Now comes a problem. How am I to finish it? I’m hoping it to be of quality of the Age of Kings supplement (which is really cool keep up the good work!), with artwork, models, terrain guides and much more.

What needs doing you ask, well the following:

 Polish off and play test scenarios
 Terrain guide – How to build elven walls and buildings/ruins
 Play test for the rules (to see if they work etc.)
 Painting Guides
 The whole thing needs proof reading! (cause I’m not the best at English!)
 And possible artwork – drawings etc. maps for scenarios (I hate Word AutoShapes!!!)
 And (pushing it abit) possible ideas for conversions, even new models that may be made for the project! I’ve seen people talking about casting models on the forum, and I’ve seen some really cool sculpts of trolls and other minis by various people (no good with names :?)

I know its abit of a shot in the dark but would anyone like to help me in order to finish it? If it was finished how many would consider playing it?

In terms of seeing the actual supplement I’m not too sure. At the moment it’s stored in a huge word document and a not-so-huge PDF file. I don’t know how I could host it as webdesign ain’t really my cup of tea so anyone with an interest raise a hand and I’ll send it to them via email.

But as a taster I'll provide you with the status for Tuor:

Tuor (man)
Points Value: 150

Might : 4
Will : 3
Fate : 3

F S D A W C
7/- 4 8 3 3 7

Tuor came to Gondolin with the message of Ulmo the valar, lord of the seas, to prepare for a great siege. Turgon turned his head this proposal, as at the time war seemed unlikely, if not impossible, yet he welcomed Tuor into the city. Forever since, Tuor has dwelled within it's fair walls and has grown in strength. Having wedded Turgons daughter Idril, they bring up their child Earendil together, who's life is will have a very important role in the future yet to come.

Wargear
Tuor is given armour and a great two handed axe, Dramborleg (used as an elven blade).

Special Rules

Dramborleg; Forged within the very walls of Gondolin, the Dramborleg is a very potent blade of which all orcs fear. When charging all orcs must take a courage test when Tuor is armed with Dramborleg. It is so powerful that it negates any enemy hero or captain using might to adjust roles when in the same combat with Tuor.

Battle Cry; With the use of the 1pt of might Tuor may give out a mighty Battle Cry with forces all friendly models within 12" charge to their nearest enemy and attack in combat in the fight phase, passing all courage tests if required. This is used in the same way as heroic movement but may only be used once per battle.

Thanks in advance! All comments, criticism and help welcomed greatly.

Andy, son of Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Okay, guess not :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

PLease...don't give up after 3 days without a reply...that's happened to me many a time.....

I'll help. I'm good with rules, and playtesting, and painting. And scenarios, and i'll be happy to proof-read. Sorry if this looks like bragging, but I;ve written several supplements myself, so I know what i'm on about.

For terrain and artwork, you could always see if Dagorlad would help. If you submit it as an article, hwe would be more likely to help...and I heard him say he has picked up his sketch book again....

Conversions, etc.....best off asking Scibor or Ebob for tips.

E-mail me for more details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'd be happy to help as well - the rules for tuor look great! I culd write some rules for you as well if you wanted. I'd also be happy to playtest any rules. If you want any help, e-mail me at chriswilliams1000@msn.com .

Come and visit the White City here!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Firstly, welcome to the One-ring. As a new member, you have set a new benchmark for quality first time posts!

This looks very interesting Andy_Son_of_Richard and well conceived. If I was to do a 1st Age supplement I would have done exactly as you have, and limited it to a small, but important episode such as this one.

Your ideas sound interesting and well thought out, and ordinarily I would have jumped at the chance to be involved in this, but my workload is too great at the moment (helping to run this site, doing my bits of the AOTK supp., designing a 40K website, writing a terrain book, oh, and having a full time job and family life too - anything else? probably!)

But having said that, please send me a copy of the supplement as it stands. I'd love to have a look if that's alright, and I can proofread it for you as well.

If it can wait until the AOTK thing is finished I will seriously consider helping out a bit more, but until then my time is heavily booked up, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi all,

Cheers for the positive comments. I've emailed it to all three of you but i'm not sure the program i used to convert into a PDF file is very good :roll: trust me!

Mail me back if you haven't received it etc. Feedback any comments, good and bad. Then we can get to work!

Any others who would wish to show an interest feel free the more the merrier! :D

I would post an image on what the supplement looks like but i'm still trying to figure that out...

Anyway, to get your interest here are some new rules for the Balrogs which I have adapted, the reason being described in the description, enjoy…

Balrog of Morgoth

Points Value: 250

Might : 0
Will : As Wounds per Roll
Fate : 0
F S D A W C
10/4+ 8 9 4 5 7

The Balrogs of Morgoth are the most feared daemons with their great power and might. They stay behind the hoards of orcs with their whips of flame, driving them on into battle torturing those who do not obey their lords commands.

Note: You may have noticed that the Balrogs status have changed from the original rule book. This is because they will be pitted against great elven heroes who need a chance of killing the in battle. However, this is just unique with 'The Fall of Gondolin' supplement. The Balrog Gandalf fights uses the same rules in all other rule books, as we presume that the balrog the dwarves awaken in the dark has grown in age, and in strength. Note: that the balrogs are not classed as special characters, so they may be an normal troop cost, at 250pts per balrog mind!

Special Rules

Darts of Fire. The balrog may summon a huge flaming, spear like object to hurl at the enemy. This uses the same rules as a throwing weapon but with the strength of 10. This means it may be directed towards an enemy warrior or hero, or at a building to try and breach a hole in the wall. As this is more of a magical spell, will may be used to resist to power of the flaming dart, if inflicted upon a hero.

Lash. (see rule book)

Terror. Even the most courageous of elven lords fear the terrific beast. See rules on attempting to charge a terrifying creature.

Will. (see rule book)

Mastery. The orcs fear the balrogs more than any other creature they'll fight in Gondolin. This means that all evil warriors will pass courage tests, so long there is a balrog to lead the on.

Thats it for now, thanks again for the comments!

Regards, Andy son of Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Been a fair while since I've been around here and I've finally manage dto improve my photography skills and painting work.
So if you would still need some help with the Painting Guides and suggested Colour Schemes for various models then I would definetely be interested. I could also proof-read for mistakes etc. in your work, as my main strength in terms of education is definetely English.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

WOW is all I can say. You have written anough rules for an entirely new rulebook! With Pictures in, of course. (I have just recieved you PDF, thanks) It's going to take me a while to get through these!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Cool glad you like the look of it! But as i say there's loads of work still 2 do! Happy reading... :D

Andy, Son of Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

that looks great :) one of the best fan supplements from what ive seen so far i really like the way that you didnt make the heros to good.
 Post subject: I am still on this too!
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hola Andy,

I have not seen your updated file, but since we last spoke I have found many minis thru other manufacturer's that could be used for the 12 houses on Gondolin with very minimal to no conversions being required. I look forward to recieving your file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:01 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This could be a '2 in a million'

It looks like you have thought about this well and have taken time to plan it too.

I feel this will be in the same league as AOTK when it's finished.

Kane
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Having read the rules through, they are great - nicely thought out! I too like the way the elven heroes are not all powerful, and there are easily the match of them on the evil side. One thing I would say, however, is that the points costs need thinknig through more, unless you are making a game where the overall points costs of models should be lower.

For example, the balrog has been knocked down to half wounds and 1 off his defence - and he gets an amazing missile attack. and he gets all this for 250 pts less than the original one! If you knock down a few more of his stats, and perhaps keep the missile attack for only Gothmog, it would be better. (That's the only statline I feel needs changing! Well done!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey’all,

WitchKingofMordor cheers for the feedback. The Idea about the balrogs having darts of fire was due to the fact that in the story it was a balrog who killed Duilin on the walls. Maybe I should make it strength 9 instead of 10 and/or make it so the balrog must use it as a crossbow instead of a throwing weapon?

To be fair i haven't play tested each and every hero or troop type and i was wandering if you (or anyone else) could help me out on the costing for them. For example; the balrog way too cheap, as you pointed out... may be 350pts or 400pts? Give me some ideas :D etc.

Also what about the prospect of elven mages. At first i thought what a crazy idea! The book didn't state of any elven mages; then again they Tolkien didn't write about them either and the GW incorporated them into the game (Shaman that is). Yet many people disagree with the fact of Shaman and other magic users. Personally I accept the idea cause it gives the prospect of more tactics and introduces more magic! Maybe they weren't magical at all and that it was all physiological? I don't know. However, i'm not too sure on Elven mages, what does everyone else think about this. It would introduce magic for the good side, and elves are a strange race so maybe they could wield some form of magic, but on the other hand...elven mages?!?

Anyway enough waffle. Back to business. My good friend Pico here has been a partner in this project when I first introduced it to TLA. Yet many didn't like it! :cry:

Pico how are you doing, could you send us a link to see these pictures of the models we can use for the supplement...? Oh and do you have an another email address so that i can send the PDF, cause the file is 2.5mb which is about the same size as hotmail allows you to have :?

What we really need are some scenarios, the following is a list of all the suggested ones that i have out forward? Any one want to help make them? The ones with * next to them indicate that i have finished or made a start them, and those with ? next to them are ones that I’m still considering. I shall be posting you all with them in a PDF as usual shortly! (remember I want to try and make it so people CAN play them with their collections. I hate it when people put like 50 elves in the participants cause I’m sure not many will have that many!!!) Anyway, the ideas:

ACT 1:

1. ? The Spies of Morgoth ?- Mini Game introduces player to rules
- Goblins
- Pillar

2. Before the Golden Gate- Tuor and Vorowne attempt to out run the orcs of the hill, the Royal Guard aid their escape
- Goblins, Cave Troll, Warg Riders?
- Tuor, Vorowne, Folk of the King

3. Capture of Maeglin

- the capturing of Maeglin
- Orcs, captain
- Maeglin, Folk of the Mole (on goodside)

ACT 2:

4. *The Breached Wall*
- the breaching of the wall near Caragdur
- Orcs, Trolls/Balrog, captains, Goblins, Great Orcs, catapults x2
- Tree, Shallow, Hammers, Galdor, Rog, Dulin, catapult, siege bow x2

5. North Gate - Attack on the main gate
- Orcs, Trolls/Balrog/Dragon, captains, warg riders ,Goblins, Great Orcs, catapult, siege bow x2, Othrod,
- Pillar, Shallow, Golden Flower, King, Penlod, Eagamoth, Glorfindel, catapult, siege bow x2

6. ?Save the Villagers?- Protect villagers
- Orcs, goblins, great orcs, Troll, captain
- Pillar, Shallow, King, Penlod

7. *Ambush in the Streets* - Mole keep Wing at bay
- Mole, Orcs, Maeglin
- Tuor, Wing

8. ?Taking Cover!?- Capture Buildings/objectives
- Fountain, Tree, Galdor, Egamoth,
- Orcs, Goblins, Great Orcs, captains, warg riders

9. *Maeglins Treachery *- Maeglin tries to kill Idril and Earendil
- Maeglin, Mole
- Tuor, wing, Voronwe, Idril and Earendil

10. *The Great Market Burns*
- Attack on Market
- Orcs, goblins, great orcs, trolls/balrog/dragon, captain
- Golden Flower, Harp (delayed), Glorfindel,

11. Protect the Child!
- Ambush on Wing and Idril
- Orcs, captains, troll
- King, Voronwe, Earendil, Idril

12. *The Mighty Hammers Fall*- Fall of Rog and his men
- Orcs, Captain, Trolls/Balrog
- Rog, Hammers

13. *The Square of the King*- big battle before the palace

14. Turgon Comes Forth
- Turgon and men come forth to attack remaining enemy to allow heroes to escape
- Orcs, great orcs, captains, Trolls/dragons

15. The Last Stand- When Turgon give his life for the freedom of his people
- Orcs, great orcs, captain, dragon/balrog

16. ?Fleeing of the Noldor?- Dragons hunt after surviving few
- Dragons, orcs great orcs
- Glorfindel, golden, wing, fountain, Tuor

17. Earendils Fate
- Earendil captured by wargs
- Warg riders, captain
- Tuor, wing

ACT 3:

18. Ambush on Cirith Thoronath- Orcs attack in mountain side
- Orcs, wargs, great orcs, captains
- Galdor, Legolas, Tree, Golden

19. Golfindels Last Struggle - Famous battle with Glofindel and balrog

20. The Wrath of Throndor
- Throndor comes to aid the Noldor
- Orcs, great orcs, wargs, cave trolls, captains
- Survivors from last battle + Throndor and eagles.

Finally i did ask Dagorlad if he could help out with terrain and provide sketches for the supplement. Alas, he is much too busy to aid us! A valuable aid lost :( ! However this means that you lot could help out even more if you wanted to :D! We need to jazz up the booklet somehow with sketches similar to the other booklets S&F and SoG. We also need painting and terrain making guides for people to make ruined elven cities, and possibly ideas for elven buildings that are still intact.

Keep up the good work guys! Cheers for the feedback, keep it coming; its all good.

Regards Andy, son of Richard :D (sorry for the length of this post :? )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I will try to make some of the terrain for you - If you tell me what needs making! (Nothing huge, mind!) :D

Having had a first playtest with the rules tonight, I have found them to be reasonably balanced. As most of the points costs are lower, the game was a lot more even than it could have been. :D

I am currently making a dragon, that I was going to use for Smaug in my hobbit supplement - however, I can change it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey WitchKingofMordor (I gotta think of something shorter to address you by! WKoM? hmm I'll think about it)

Anyways, read the above post (which is huge i know, sorry. Oh forget it i'll quote it for you, much easier :D )

Quote:
We also need painting and terrain making guides for people to make ruined elven cities, and possibly ideas for elven buildings that are still intact.

Try and come up with something original or if you have seen a guide that has already been written that you think will be of use let me know!

As for the dragon, great!!! How are you making it? Don't feel you have 2 change it just for this supplement if its already made :?.

Finally, cheers for the comments about the game play, I'm glad they're balanced. I'll send you and the rest of the people on the project PDF versions of the scenarios shortly, then you can play test for real!

Laters for now

Regards Andy, son of Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:27 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I managed to rustle up an elven building last night in about 1 1/2 hours - Tell me if it needs more detail, I just thought the simpler it was, the easier it would be to make lots of them! If it is good enough, I could put up an article, so lots of people could make them for the supplement.. It's up to you. (sorry about the lack of decently painted elves, the high elves were painted 1 and a 1/2 years ago, and the wood elves aren't even painted yet!)

Feedback?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey,

:shock: Thats great WKoM! Well done! A guide would be fantastic, templates even better. Possibly so that you can vary them so you can make loads of different buildings out of different formations of components (if possible)

What does everyone else think?

Don't worry about the painted figures, least yours are painted!

In terms of detail i'm not too sure. Perhaps some form of elvish design that runs along the line between the 2 windows? Maybe something for the window arches and the door frame? What sort I'm not sure, see what you can do :wink:

Keep up the good work! Its all great! We really need some elven buildings that are also intact if possible. I'm going to try and make one but if anyone wants to give some ideas and stuff about elven buildings or another element of the game see the original post for ideas on how you can help! Together we'll get this done in no time :D Lets race the AOTK people, see if we can beat 'em! (doubt it but hey!)

Cheers People,

Andy, son of Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I may have said it before, but if you don't need help fair enough, and if you sent anything to my e-mail, then that account is out of use sorry. My e-mail is now

Just as a reminder, my main strengths are in my English Language skills, and I am now much more gifted in Terrain Making, Miniature Painting and Photography.

So if you would like anything done then don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by Orodruin on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hiya ,

Oops! :oops: Orodruin I did send stuff to you, but to your old email address, sorry! How stupid of me! Your skills will be greatly welcomed in the making of this supplement, terrain and stuff great! As stated before:

Quote:
We also need painting and terrain making guides for people to make ruined elven cities, and possibly ideas for elven buildings that are still intact .

Templates and guides would be most useful! I know WitchKingofMordor is currently working on his bit for the terrain, perhaps you should put your ideas together. :D

One original thought i had was to create some form of ruins template that can be used to create components which may be changed by the modeler inoder to create a different building rather than have a bog standard one. Any existing guides that you feel are worth putting in find them out and we can ask permission from whoever created them

Painting guides are also required, but i'm sure i could find a good guide already written by a member...

Anyways sorry about the email address mix up! We would love you to be on the team, the more input we have the better product we can produce. Remember, it aint just my project, i want it to be a community project were everyone has an input, and has fun with at the end when playing it.

Finally, Orodruin do you have an email address other than hotmail? I would like to send the PDF file of the rules but its 2.5mb which is bigger than hotmail allows you to have (or there abouts) so it won't send!

Keep up the good work! :D:D:D

Cheers, Andy son of Richard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next