All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:26 pm

Post subject: (SPOILERS!) BOFA scenario
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi,

This is a scenario I came up with it will be probably be a weekend lasting fun battle to play (I think).For this battle I believe you will need to proxy a lot of minis especially the Gundabad orcs. Annyway here it is anny idea's to improve this is appreciated.

Scenario The Battle of the five armies

PLEASE NOTE: it is not allowed to use anny other named heroes than listed here

The good force includes:

Thorins armoured company

Thranduil, king of Mirkwood with horse/elk, Legolas Greenleaf, prince of Mirkwood with horse (Legolas cannot lead an warband!) and up to 900 points of armoured mirkwood infantry and cavalry.

Bard the bowman, Girions heir with armour, and up to 300 points of the surviviors of Lake-Town.

Alfrid the councilor and 180 points worth of the army of Lake-Town.

Tauriel, Mirkwood exile, Gwaihir, Radagast the Brown, on Great eagle Beorn and 2 Great Eagles.

Gandalf the Grey

Daìn Ironfoot on Boar, and 600 points worth of the Iron Hills Dwarves.

The Evil force includes:

Azog, Lieutenant of Sauron with The White Warg, Bolg, Castellan of Mount Gundabad with Fell Warg and 2,500 points worth from Azog's Hunters army list

500 points worth of Fell Wargs and Giant Bats (use the stats from the Moria and Angmar sourcebook) also this army does n't need a warband leader.

500points worth of Goblin-Town armoured merceneries (goblins+ 1 point cost and +1 defence, and +5 points for the captian for the +1 defence)

500 points worth of battle trolls and half trolls counts as a single model for in the Azog's hunters warband list

Special Rules:

Dragon Sickness: Thorin has lost his mind and loves the wealth of the mountain more than the lives of his kin who are fighting outside.

At the beginning of the 3rd movement phase role a D6 on 4+ Thorin got cured of his dragon sickness and the next turn Thorin's Company run out of the gates of Erebor (southern board edge)and can move 7'' that turn

Bolg's arrival: Bolg has arrived on the battle field!

In the movement phase of turn 5 Bolg arrives with 1000 points taken from Azog's hunter list,and the500pts armoured goblin merceneries and the 500 points of bats and wargs.

The arrival of Legolas and Tauriel:

In the beginning of the movement phase of turn 4 legolas and Tauriel arrive on the northern board edge. Tauriel is mounted on the horse of legolas aswell as an companion.

The Eagles are here!:

On the beginning of the movement phase of turn 9 the 2 Eagles, Gwaihir, Radagast on Eagle and Beorn arrive on the north-eastern board edge.

Alfrid the coward: Alfrid is so afraid to go into combat that he would rather wear a dress than fight.

If you wish to attack an enemy model with Alfrid you must take a courage test, if the model is terror causing you recieve a -1 penalty to your courage test role this is cumultive with the harbringer of evil rule. Also Alfrid cannot take part in anny heroic action from Bard the Bowman, Girion's heir.

Everyone who wants to give their last follow me!: the Lake-Town militia and Lake-Town guard won't have to take anny courage tests if the force is broken. For chargin terror causing creatures they still need to take courage test.

For the king!: as soon as Thorin oakenshield, king under the mountain enters the field anny dwarf within 6'' recieves a +1 to their fight value.

Layout:

This battle is played on a 6' by 6' gaming board.

In the centre and to the west of the northeren board edge lies the ruined city of Dale.

On the middle of the Southern board edge lies the great gate of Erebor on the left and the right of the southern board edge is filled with mountain rocks.

On the North-East board edge lies Ravenhill.

In between those places is a plainfield.

Deployment:

In the centre between Erebor and Dale Lies the elven force, with Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf the Grey and Bard the bowman with one warband of Lake-Town militia. On the west side of the elven army lies the army of the Iron Hills. In Dale waits the remainder of the Lake-Town militia and the army of Lake-Town is there aswell. Azog and 1 warband from the Azog's hunter army list is located at the Ravenhill the rest of the army is deployed on the North-East board side (next to Dale).

Objectives:

The good side wins if the evil army is reduced to 25%(including the reinforced army of Bolg) and Azog and Bolg must be slain. Bilbo Gandalf, Legolas, Daìn, Bard, Radagast the Brown, and atleast 10 people of Thorins Company (Bilbo does n't count for the 10 surviving members) must survive.

The Evil side wins if they manage to kill seven of the above named heroes.

Anny other result is a draw.

I hope you enjoyed reading this scenario. And agian if you got anny ideas to improve this please share!
 Post subject: Re: (SPOILERS!) BOFA scenario
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

looks loads of fun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well at first glance it looks like it would be fun. Some reality you need to consider is;
1 - Might, will and Fate resources are going to be taxed heavy due to the length of the battle. This could be a good thing if you want the battle to end, but the winning conditions rely on a lot of names not dying, the enemy can force a draw just by ganging up on one of the named heroes (even if they do have an army with them).
2 - It would be hard to proxy this much and keep track, not impossible, but I would at least expect to have at least some bouts of confusion in with this much going on.

Other than those which are just 'keep under advisements' about the scenario, I think you could have fun at least test running it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think I should indeed change the objectives to achieve a victory, keeping so many heroes a life is indeed quite difficult.

How about this:

Objectives:

The game ends once a force has lost 2/3 of it's total army (including the reinforcements)

You achieve 3 victory points for breaking down the opposite force to 1/3 of its starting value.

The good side achieves 2 victory points each for killing Azog,lieutenant of Sauron, and Bolg, castellan of Mount Gundabad.

The evil side achieves 2 victory points each for killing, Gandalf the Grey and Bilbo Baggins, Master burglar

You score 2 victory points for having more models placed in the ruins of Dale than the other side.

How about this? It allows you to use all the strong heroes in your force and the objectives are not too difficult.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dain and iron hills dwarves don't exist yet
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

the timer of the arrival seems 2 short though....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Galanur wrote:
the timer of the arrival seems 2 short though....

How would you change it then? By making every arrival come 2 turns longer?

As for the Iron Hills dwarves, I know they are n't released yet but they will come anny time soon.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I hope you are right :)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:59 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I's recommend more than 500pts of Trolls given how few Trolls that'll give you and how many were in the army, and that's without factoring in the ape-like "Half Trolls" too.

Of course, very impressive work here nonetheless.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

DwarfWarrior wrote:
Dain and iron hills dwarves don't exist yet

Use the Warrior of Erebor Profile. All of the iron hills dwarves in the movie had spears + shields.

Profile for Dain:
Dain: 5" 6/4+ 4 8 3 3 7 3/3/3 130 pts
Wargear: two-handed hammer
Special rules: Inspiring Presence; Burly
Upgrade:
10 pts for a Boar
Boar: 8" 3/- 4 4 1 1 4
Special rules: Impale (S4 hit on charge)

Sithious wrote:
Well at first glance it looks like it would be fun. Some reality you need to consider is;
1 - Might, will and Fate resources are going to be taxed heavy due to the length of the battle. This could be a good thing if you want the battle to end, but the winning conditions rely on a lot of names not dying, the enemy can force a draw just by ganging up on one of the named heroes (even if they do have an army with them).
2 - It would be hard to proxy this much and keep track, not impossible, but I would at least expect to have at least some bouts of confusion in with this much going on.

1: Bolg is probably going to be the strongest character because of this; he is pretty much guaranteed to reach 10 kills in this large of a battle.

2: Cutting the points values down by 25-50% would go a long way to fixing that Currently, the OPs amounts total to ~4460 for evil and ~4700 for good.

Total forces along the lines of:
Good:
Thorin
Gandalf
Fili
Kili
Dwalin
Dain
Thranduil
Legolas
Tauriel
Beorn
Gwaihir
Radagast on eagle
Bard
Alfrid
650 pts Elves
350 pts Dwarves
300 pts Laketown

Evil:
Bolg
Azog
1550 Azog's Hunters/Orcs/Goblins
650 Trolls/half trolls
350 Bats/Wargs

Totals at ~3000 pts.

For the book version, at low-er points, Drop Radagast on the Eagle, Dwalin, Alfrid, Legolas, and Tauriel for good.

Ignore warband rules. The army is lead by the named heroes.
Reduce unit points limits for good to ~500/300/200 (1000 total)
Up to 1/4 of the allotted points in heroes (no restrictions other than they must have feasibly been at the battle) and/or eagles. Try to split Radagast's alliance and Thorin's company heroes/warriors as evenly as possible between the list limits (in ratio).

For Evil, Drop Azog (He's dead in the book. Dain killed him at the Battle of Moria.) and reduce points values to 1150/500/300(1900 total).
max 1/3 of allotted points in heroes from the corresponding factions. (Troll chieftans, goblin captains, Hunter/Gundabad Orc captains, Orc captains)

This would get the game down to ~2150, which should be reasonable given the high hero count on the good side, and the split of evil forces into goblins/trolls/orcs/bats/wargs.

Deployment would change to have the Dwarves, Elves, and Men deploy on ravenhill, with evil forces arrayed on the fields. Beorn and Gwaihir, along with any additional eagles, would be the only reinforcements on either side.

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
I's recommend more than 500pts of Trolls given how few Trolls that'll give you and how many were in the army, and that's without factoring in the ape-like "Half Trolls" too.

Of course, very impressive work here nonetheless.

Could Shift 500 of the 2500 for Azog's Hunters into the Trolls/Half Trolls.

Last edited by Asamu on Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The ignore warband rules is a good idea that would lower the points amount for the army. What I had in my mind but probably not written down is that azog hunters army list also contain trolls and half trolls and that the 500 pts trolls is basicly made to make sure you have some trolls and not just an huge army of gundabad orcs. I also like the book version you have written down that one certanly makes the good force a less all heroic army.