All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:40 am

Post subject: Rescuing a mounted Imrahil
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I recently bought a metal Imrahil from ebay which came missing both the shield and half the winged helmet of the horse. Seller very kindly gave me a full refund and let me keep the model.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do with it? I was wondering about giving him a Numenorean shield with details shaved off and appropriate heraldry painted on but I'm a bit iffy about sculpting the winged helmet. Considered using him for a conversion but that doesn't really solve the problem.

What would you do if he was your model?
 Post subject: Re: Rescuing a mounted Imrahil
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would definitely try to find him a suitable shield, either Numenorean or a spare from the plastic knights. However, depending on the scale of the Numenorean shield to Imrahil, I might make one from scratch.

In the case of a scratch build, I'd use a piece of sheet plastic (I like evergreen styrene sheets), cut it to shape and size, and then try to curve it with heat. I'm not sure how well this method would work...
I would also cut out the heraldry and the bands for the top and bottom of the shield and glue them on.

I'm struggling a little to get a clear idea of the extent of the damage to the helmet because of the flash, but maybe you could make a push mold of the other side's winged part to get the right shape, and then score detail into the reverse of the copy after the putty has partially cured so that it doesn't warp out of shape.

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!
 Post subject: Re: Rescuing a mounted Imrahil
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh yeah, I'd thought of trying an impression but discarded it because it would be back to front. It never occurred to me to score the reverse. It's not perfect but it's probably alright enough :)

I don't even understand why it's a separate piece of the model. Presumably to detail the reverse side of the wing I assume.