All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:36 am

Post subject: Bilbo & Gandalf the Grey - The Hobbit
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have recently purchased the dual pack containing finecast Gandalf the Grey & Bilbo Baggins. Which are fabulous by the way, however when I originally bought them I thought the poses were initially of Bilbo running to catch up to the rest of the company , mainly because he is hoping over a tree stump, however I have noticed that Bilbo's sword is drawn.

This poses not so much a problem but more of a dilemna over how to base them and surrounding scenery. Initially I thought they were in the Shire and was going to base with Lustrian undergrowth but if his sword is drawn that is doubtful. As a newcomer to the hobby I am unsure if these models were released from Movie 1 or Movie 2. Any help would be appreciated in figuring out what context these models/poses should be placed in.
 Post subject: Re: Bilbo & Gandalf the Grey - The Hobbit
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:08 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

They were released in 2013 as part of the Unexpected Journey releases but are clearly meant to be from Desolation of Smaug. Gandalf has had his hat knocked off (if you wish) and is drawing his sword as he explores Dol Guldur whilst Bilbo is jumping a log in Mirkwood (note spiders on his base and the bottles and bag he receives at Beorn's house).

The Mirkwood section was originally meant to be in film 1 when there were only 2 films which obviously caused problems for GW's release schedule - I suppose they just deiced to release that twin-pack during the first wave for some reason.

They are both gorgeous models, Bilbo jumping is one of my favourite Hobbit SBG models.

Hope that helps

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Gandalf still has his hat on, but otherwise Dr. Grant is spot on. Bilbo is in Mirkwood, and Gandalf is in Dol Guldur.

I also thought it was meant to be bilbo hopping the fence in the shire as he is off on an adventure, until i noticed Sting.

Great sculpts though, a pair i realy hope to own.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The hat's an optional extra, you can glue it on if you like but if not the top of his head is completely sculpted - it's a very cool kit!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dr Grant wrote:
The hat's an optional extra, you can glue it on if you like but if not the top of his head is completely sculpted - it's a very cool kit!

That is very cool! Geedubs don't show a hatless pic of the mini, so i thought you may have been getting mixed up, but i stand corrected.

I want this set even more now!