All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:30 am

Post subject: An unexpected alliance
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Deep in the forest, Tom, Bill and Bert, travel at night down from the dark mountain to find more scavenge worthy lands as they leave dead villagers and horses in their path.

Meanwhile, near the misty mounts, orcs start to travel into the previously safe lands of villagers as the Necromancers hand grows stronger. Warbands of orcs, one foot after the other, traverse these lands plundering as they sac town after town. They whorde materials previously sought by the Goblin king and his hold.

After some time, goblins grow tired and weary of having to travel further for less loot, and begin to attack bands of orcs stealing their land back.

With continuing issues caused by the Goblins, the necromancer has called all the way to Cirith Ungol for the leadership needed to squash this threat.

Shagrat, a steadfast general of Mordor with a Black Rider has taken a force to destroy the goblin threat.

But for the warriors or Mordor, little was know about the fact that the Trolls, Tom Bill, and Bert have formed an alliance with the Goblin King to protect the realm surrounding Goblin Town....

-----------------------------------------------------------
Participants:
Mordor-
General: Shagrat, general of Cirith Ungol.
Captains: Black Rider(w maxed out will might and fate), Taskmaster, and Orc Captain.
Troops:
24 orcs with shield
24 orcs with spear

Goblin/Troll alliance:
Tom, Bill, and Bert
Captains: 3 goblin captains
Troops:
36 goblin warriors
======================================================

The layout: On the edge of one of the ransacked villages the forces of evil meet, well....the other forces of evil.....not knowing the trolls have appeared!

A few turns earlier, the battle lines get close, and the orc whorde howls with anger!

A wraith comes near the lines, and transfixes a troll repeatedly, cordoning off the goblins right flank:

The lines meet, and swords and spears start to pierce armor!

On Mordors right flank, they stop in a position to hold the line, and stop the charge of one of the trolls. They hold the line, and prepare for the worst.

The Battle lines:

One of the trolls picks up a menial orc, and throws him through the crowd slaying several orcs (the trolls throws resulted in nearly 15 casualties!!!)

As the battle continues, Shagrat marches his way to one of the trolls to end the slaughter:

Another shot of the combat:

After a few rounds of repeated transfixes, a swarm of normal orcs take down the troll!! Here are the blood thirty guys:

Another shot of the line:

After several rounds of combat, mordors right flank doesnt look too good! They have begun to retreat as another troll smashes through.

On the flank where the troll was transfixed to his death, there is one, Goblin, named....the Unpainted! He is holding back and fighting multiple orcs every round!

Mordors battle lines start to crumble, as the goblins in the center are swarmed. Its up to anyone at this point! As you can see by the back of the lines, the wraith transfixed and Shagrat killed the second of the two trolls last round! Shagrat has now claimed a troll and several goblins.

The unpainted continues to fight!

The final troll swings around the right flank. Soon, he chased down the taskmaster and ripped him in half in one combat!

As the battle continued, the Wraith had 1 will left! On his last transfix, Shagrat and some orcs surrounded and impaled the final troll. They put his head on stake, and send the last goblin captain and several of the living goblins to the Goblin Kings lands to remind him who rules outside of the mountain!

The trolls tried and killed many orcs, but eventually, succumb to the magic of the wraith and were slaughtered while semi concious.

As for what happened to the Unpainted.....

He fell. Although, this courageous Goblin captain killed 5-8 orcs through 5 rounds of combat and held about 25 attacks worth of orcs at bay through that time! The trolls did damage, but he is without a doubt the unheralded hero of the Goblins!

Summary/Synopsis: Almost everything went right for mordor. I think Shagrat used about 3-4 points of might that were recovered with the Taskmaster including a few heroic moves. When both sides called heroic moves, mordor won again and again on the roll off.

Shagrat did his job to stay alive, helping to finish two trolls with his swarms of troops. The wraith transfixes the life(almost literally) out of two trolls and really was worth his points. The taskmaster, killed several goblins and saved many might points. Worth it as well. Pretty much different rolling could have changed the pace. The trolls threw so many people through each other and killed a ton! The best move of the match was probably the orcs on the right flank pulling back and throwing 3-4 orcs to block the trolls path before the troll and goblins could meet up with the main line and pincer mordor.

Most worth the points: Wraith
Most suprising: 'the unpainted' having proved to his owner, he deserves at least a base coat :rofl:

All in all, I had a bad camera, and have shaky hands, but I hope this was a fun little thing to enjoy some of your time. The trolls are fun to use, but now Ive tried them in two armies, and they sincerely need high level defense armies with them. Maybe Gundabads with shields to shield while trolls cause havoc. Goblins though rarely hold the lines, and even with number, their low fight and defense let them crack when they need to stand tall.

Happy gaming everyone, and uh....support your Hobbit Hobby!

Post subject: Re: An unexpected alliance
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice battle report, and your introduction to this unlikely clash made the situation very believable!

Did the trolls' special rules prove helpful? I think you used the wraith very smartly; he essentially killed two trolls.

Wow 15 orcs killed from a Hurl!! I usually use Hurl for its disruptive and entertainment value, rather for its killing potential; but then again I play against Dwarves who are defense beasts.

Will you really pain this magnificent and noteworthy Goblin named Unpainted? Maybe give him a different paint job so you can recognize him. For me he is the hero of the match :-D .
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thank you. Its my first one and I made it in a rush.

The trolls special rules did NOT come into play unfortunately. Reason being is they are better against strong unit or hero types and whenever they finally got into contact with those guys, they were already transfixed! HA hahaa. Poor trolls with all their power they were left wanting more!

As for the orcs.... think every orc died that was hurled, and each hurl hit 3-5 orcs going through the lines. Pretty crazy. Great rolling in this match for special things on both sides!

Finally, the 'Unpainted' will be painted in time! And yes, something will have to be different about him to show his heroics. Maybe paint, or a new weapon. Something. Thanks for your comments!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Very nice battle report, looking forward to more from you! Also, Goblins and Trolls FTW!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah Im going to try to do some fun stuff. Unfortunately, Ill be out of the country away from my figures *one tear* for about a month so nothing till then. But then Ill do something cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nice report, a joy to read 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:52 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Good report, very enjoyable read.

I am not normally a fan of 'blue on blue' or in this case 'red on red' games, but your intro made it very plausible... I am guessing Shagrat hitched a ride on the back of the fellbeast to get there in time!? ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

haha indeed he did thank you for the feedback! Ill be putting more up in March and later!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This game seems to be a clash of new models and old. First time I have seen the trio of trolls in action, they seemed great! Shame they had so much trouble dealing with the wraith, but I have similar issues against stupid Gandalf :roll:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah Ill maybe do another with them in a larger battle against good it will be different.