All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:39 pm

Post subject: Re: Best in-game moment!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Trollololol Gandalf blasting the Bridge of Khazad Dum and sending the Balrog... and Gimli... and Boromir... and Aragorn all to their deaths!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

10 mirkwood rangers and 8 wood elves all shooting at the shadow lord (legolas was transfixed). 4 6s to hit, 2 5+s to hit the rider, 2 6s, 25s.
Shadow lord rolls for fate. Passes one, rolls 1 on the second dice. Shadow lord dies and fell beast flees. 170 points of wasted.
So much for his anti-bow rule.

Chances of wounding the shadow lord this way are 1/276. And I did it twice in the same turn!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was playing against some mirkwood rangers with Thranduil and a stormcaller with my shadow lord on horse and some orcs, so the storm caller natures wraths me on 3 dice (can't remember dice rolls) and I de-spell it. Then Thranduil does the same thing and I fail to de-spell it so I'm knocked to the ground, so on my shadow lord I have to take thrown rider... I roll a 1... Uses fate point... 3 so the shadow lord dies by falling off his horse...

2014 Oathtaker (1 Point)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My moment would have to have been when the Two Towers set came out many years ago. I was playing Rohan and my friend was playing Isengard and led by a Ringwraith. After charging forward (I had no concept of tactics and/or patience) I opened fire with one of my Riders against the Wraith, just a potshot, because he was out of charge range. I rolled to hit, managed to hit, the proceeded to roll two 6's using the same dice. :) He failed his fate roll, and the Wraith disappeared with a scream of agony and rage.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't play many games, however I've had a few I could call a great moment.

First off though is the renowned "Bofur-Fili"combination. Any of my opponents who have played against my Thorin's Company will know of and fear this. But it all started when in Goblin Town. Poor old Bilbo was at the risk of being charged by the Goblin King. A huge Goblin Town was set up, with all the platforms (we tried replicating the board in White Dwarf). So the Goblin King had already slain Thorin, Dwalin, Oin and injured Balin. Bilbo was now at risk, the King right on his tail. I had moved Bilbo, but feared to realise he was not out of range of the Blubbery mass. I could not lose more than two models in this game, as to face a defeat.
I feared this creature. He had suffered no wounds, and won almost every combat.

On a platform a giants step from the two stood Bofur and Fili. I was tempted to charge them into the pursuing goblin horde, but I could not suffer the thought that Bilbo would be tossed into the depths below. It was a win/lose situation. Have the Dwarves jump in an attempt to save the hobbit... or die.

Heroically, the Dwarves readied themselves. The dice clattered on the table. First, Bofur was over with a six. He charged straight on, frontally into the bulking beast. Fili's turn - and he also made it over with a six. Striking the beast in the side, he stumbles towards the edge. Two Dwarves are no match for the Goblin King... are they?

The Goblin King was tied down. No allies were able to assist him, my Dwarves had tied up any possible threats. The dice crashed down, and the Dwarves had won. The Goblin King who found himself unbalanced stumbled off the edge of the platform. The Dwarves sighed in relief. Thus the Bofur-Fili combination was born. A feat that is repeated in following games, where they have struck down so many fear filling foes, that they themselves have come to be feared.

Whatever the cause of this extraordinary and unstoppable pair is, it Is truly a magnificence. I tell you now, you should never openly face these two together. Never. My opponents who have faced them will tell you so. If you are one of those, tell us all (wondering if any of my friends are here, don't know if you're on this site, give me a shout out) and tell it true.

In future for tournaments and other games when I get out and have the time, I will pair the two on the battlefield. Show all the awesomeness of the unstoppable two.

Not really just one in game moment, but a series of them. Anyway, I think that's it now. I went on a little while with that. Thanks for reading though :-D

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Just remembered another fave moment.

Cirdan v.s. Goblins

Two goblins see an undefended cirdan and attempt to kill him. However, they remained baffled by terror for two turns as the defenceless octamilleniumal shipbuilder stared them down. Then one passed and charged Cirdan, who promptly beat him to death with his bare hands.

Unarmed not a problem when you know noldorin mixed martial arts I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:54 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

A couple of small "moments" in the last game on Thursday. (It was my Orc of Dol Guldor - Morannons & Hunters - vs Dwarves and Isengard)

Once was when my opponents thought that the Grinmhammers would easily slaughter my Morannon Orcs whilst the Uruk-hai wouldn't do as well (they were newbies, and assumed that pts values were all correct), the Morannons were beating the Grimhammers (mostly) whilst the Uruks were doing much better, as I suspected.

Another moment was how 5 Uruks and 3 Dwarves fell to shooting in the first time, causing my opponants to greatly fear them, only for them to fail to kill any other models for the rest of the game (in the case of the Trackers that it, the Hunter Orc archers killed in combat).

ANd then my opponents expected the Warriors of Erebor to slaughter my Hunter Orc Archers, especially since they had spear support, only for them to lose more than half of the time, as my models had 2 attacks base, and several were able to clip around the end. Narzûg even singlehandedly beat the Captain who was spear supported and Fight 11 (Heroic Strike).

Needless to say, they learned many a lesson, and will be, I think, much better next time. If either of you are reading this, my hats off to you. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:53 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Fight 11? The fight value caps at 10 even when heroic striking.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Radagast in combat with a Mumak that has been knocked down to 1 wound combat: Radagast rolled a 5 Sebastian rolled a 4 the Mumak rolled a 5,4,2 and a 1 (tusk weapons) Radagast rolled a 1 and Good old Seb Got a 6 the whole area went silent and people swarmed the table to watch and the pressure was immense he needed a 5 and he rolled a 6 :D SEB THE MUMAK SLAYER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I can't think of my best moment but I certainly have a few memorable ones. My most recent I refer to as the 'go long' moment...

I was using ents and eagles against isengard, I was dominating fights but a line of crossbows were being very irritable on a flank, suddenly, treebeard had an idea..

I had priority so I chose treebeards fight first against an orc captain and two uruks, I won the fight and nominated to hurl the orc captain (as he was most likely to survive the hurl), I rolled a 6 so managed to throw the orc 10inches which got me very excited...

Next, I went to the fight next to treebeard which involved an eagle and some uruks, luckily I won the fight again and this time decided to barge the uruks so I could move on to the prone orc captain who treebeard had thrown. The plan was going well so far..

So at this point I was effectively playing american football, treebeard played quarterback and my eagle was playing receiver, now I just needed to make the catch (beat the orc captain in combat) and then celebrate by knocking all the uruk crossbows down with an allmighty hurl like a bowling ball..

Imagine how excited I was, this felt like a 'mega-play', I felt so clever, it was going to be so good!... the prone orc captain then decided to win the fight against my eagle and stand up tall with a big fat smile.

:sad: aaaaaaaaaaaaah!

This moment sticks with me :roll: the following turn I was successful with the eagle though, killing the orc captain via hurl and taking 6 out of 8 crossbows with him :-D :D karma!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:03 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That is a cool moment Moria. But you wouldn't have been able to hurl with the eagle in the same turn you barged. So it actually worked out perfectly lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

JamesR wrote:
That is a cool moment Moria. But you wouldn't have been able to hurl with the eagle in the same turn you barged. So it actually worked out perfectly lol

I thought it seemed too good to be possible in one move as it did cover a very big distance! Thanks for pointing that out as I'd have definitely tried it again :)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:16 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

VandalCabbage wrote:
Fight 11? The fight value caps at 10 even when heroic striking.

I was teaching them how to play and it was their first Heroic Strike, easier to show how it works, but of course it shan't happen again Mr Cabbage. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oh, ok. Not that it would have made any difference in that instance. However sometimes I think the cap is a silly rule that penalises high fight value heroes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

VandalCabbage wrote:
Oh, ok. Not that it would have made any difference in that instance. However sometimes I think the cap is a silly rule that penalises high fight value heroes.

Stop reading my mind! Lol I started a topic on that a little while back here
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27393

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:20 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Not sure about 'the best' but a moment that sticks in my mind is the ignominy of having a wraith killed by falling off his horse, when it was shot by a bow... s2 hit kills horse, wraith fails thrown rider test and takes s3 hit that kills him, having failed two fate point rolls... we worked the odds out afterwards... something like 5000:1 - hey that's my kind of luck!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Llewelyn wrote:
Radagast in combat with a Mumak that has been knocked down to 1 wound combat: Radagast rolled a 5 Sebastian rolled a 4 the Mumak rolled a 5,4,2 and a 1 (tusk weapons) Radagast rolled a 1 and Good old Seb Got a 6 the whole area went silent and people swarmed the table to watch and the pressure was immense he needed a 5 and he rolled a 6 :D SEB THE MUMAK SLAYER

the tusk weapons upgrade only adds the 4th attack when you trample models(walk over them), not in combat

As for the hedgehog, he must have hit a pressure point lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Having a Ranger of Gondor, on the move, hit a Goblin by an objective 23” away through a small wood with a roll of 6 (to hit) 6 (in the way) 6 (wound)