All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 11:28 pm

Post subject: Shieldbearer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey I noticed on the U.S. GW site the Shieldbearer isn't there. Is he worth investing in on Ebay, or maybe even a few?

-Clone Cadets Echo and Droidbait
 Post subject: Re: Shieldbearer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

On the UK site he is grouped with the 'Dwarf Commanders' box, but if you don't want all of them then yeh look on Ebay.

Sorry I don't play Dwarves so no help rule-wise, sorry. :)

OERP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:27 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Personally I love the Shield Bearer model but stat wise I'm not a fan, I'd rather take a captain for equal points, more M/W/F

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The shieldbearer is not meant for M/W/F. His bonuses more than make up for that. When positioned correctly, he generates a free Heroic Fight a turn which can easily cut through opponents, and his 12" Re-rolling courage for all Dwarves is too perfect to pass up, especially when your broken. I always recommend playing at least one Shieldbearer since they are a great mix of offense and support which is rare
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You are correct that those are not his strengths but I value those more than his specials, Dwarves have very good courage values and a captain can make them stand fast. Plus the heroic combat only works if you kill all your enemies which at 2 attacks w only 1might doesn't happen very often

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

JamesR wrote:
Dwarves have very good courage values and a captain can make them stand fast.

Yes it is true that Dwarves rarely run anyway on Broken tests, but the combination of Ringwraiths and a terror heavy army will still cause problems even for Dwarves. I feel like just the simple addition of one Shieldbearer fixes this potential issue to make an all around list.

JamesR wrote:
Plus the heroic combat only works if you kill all your enemies which at 2 attacks w only 1might doesn't happen very often

This is true, but that is why I say placement is key. You want the shield bearer going against one wound average warriors 1v1 (even if the enemy has spear support) so that he can cut through them and cause the enemy to break lines. I certainly would never send him against a hero. Also if you use Men of Dale or Erebor Dwarves as support + a banner so that you can use Piercing Strike with less risk, you can increase the odds of killing.

I agree that Might/Will/Fate is precious though and I will agree that if your list is already short on that, then adding a Shieldbearer is probably not a good idea
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

legion wrote:
JamesR wrote:
Dwarves have very good courage values and a captain can make them stand fast.

Yes it is true that Dwarves rarely run anyway on Broken tests, but the combination of Ringwraiths and a terror heavy army will still cause problems even for Dwarves. I feel like just the simple addition of one Shieldbearer fixes this potential issue to make an all around list.

JamesR wrote:
Plus the heroic combat only works if you kill all your enemies which at 2 attacks w only 1might doesn't happen very often

This is true, but that is why I say placement is key. You want the shield bearer going against one wound average warriors 1v1 (even if the enemy has spear support) so that he can cut through them and cause the enemy to break lines. I certainly would never send him against a hero. Also if you use Men of Dale or Erebor Dwarves as support + a banner so that you can use Piercing Strike with less risk, you can increase the odds of killing.

I agree that Might/Will/Fate is precious though and I will agree that if your list is already short on that, then adding a Shieldbearer is probably not a good idea

So I might take one. And a Erebor force will back them up.

-Clone Cadets Echo and Droidbait