All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 5:22 am

Post subject: Mumakil
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So...I loved the battle of Pelennor Fields in Return of the King, and the primary reason I started a Haradrim force was so that I could eventually have the opportunity to field one of my own. After a month or two of lurking on these forums though, I don't think that I've seen a single list which has included one, and that makes me both nervous and a bit sad :(

What are the community's general thoughts on the Mumak's efficacy in the game? I'm gonna pick one up no matter what, but I'm curious as to what all of you think.
 Post subject: Re: Mumakil
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think it's a matter of size of the army that's the issue. A lot of people play 500 points. I've had a lot of fun with the Mumak the few times I've used it (or had it used against me), but IMHO you need to field at least 1000 point army to give it enough space and give yourself enough other tactical options. Otherwise, just the Mumak, a few upgrades, and filling the howdah can bring you to ~500 points or more. If you roll a scenario like Domination, it gets kind of difficult to achieve the objective.

Also, be cautious of dwarf heroes who like to stand under a Mumak and somehow don't get squished :)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It is a double edged sword, Personally I have had great success and failure with mumakil.
On one hand they can squash up to 30+ enemies in a single turn if played correctly, or they could stampede through your own lines massacring your entire force.
They are great against shield walls, weak heroes, dwarves.
They can be killed by siege weapons easily, monster and heroes are just as effective at killing it too as well as 2A warriors.

Upgrades, definitely take a mahud beastmaster, and tusk weapons, the others can be FUN but not really necessary, and those points could go to more warriors.

They are seriously fun to play especially when played correctly but always remember they are glass canons, and that if you want to win games as a priority they aren't really worth the points or money.
On the other hand if you want to have a laugh and have a dominating beasty on the field as centre piece don't hesitate.
To give you an idea I own 3 mumakil...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Creating an army of the darkest creatures under the mountains of mist...
one of my friends has two, they are really great in larger battles with flat ground. The only problem with them is when they charge...heh :twisted: then that's when the revenge hits. But in all honesty they are great troops if you are careful with them. the mumuk is probably gonna die really fast if the army of the dead is present... don't let them charge it!

My WIP
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=27391=50&t=27391
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My shop plays 1000pts regularly and we use mumakil quite often. They are quite awesome when used correctly, but do not think they are invulnerable. They can be killed quickly if your opponent is experienced. If you are only playing one Mumak, then you should play a shadowlord with it, and always buy the Beastmaster and Tusk Weapons upgrades. Also, the Barge Monstrous Brutal Attack will be your best friend since it allows you to move again in every Fight Phase you win.

If you have 2+ Mumaks, then most players will fall apart quickly since they don't know how to deal with multiples. One time in a 1500 point game, I went up against 4 mumakil.....I died really fast and only killed one! lol
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Mumaks cannot use brutal power attacks and nor may they heroic combat/ strike.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:

It says that in their rules? or is it an update in the Hobbit Rulebook?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

FAQ

Edit: can't find it, pretty sure there was a discussion last year about this topic. I'll have a look.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the replies so far. I am curious though (still quite new to the game), what's a shadowlord?

EDIT: Oh! One of the Nazgul. I don't have a mordor book in front of me, what about him meshes well with the Mumak?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
FAQ

Edit: can't find it, pretty sure there was a discussion last year about this topic. I'll have a look.

Ok please do because I have found nothing that prevents it so far.

jossem wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far. I am curious though (still quite new to the game), what's a shadowlord?

A Shadowlord is a special Ringwraith found in the Mordor book. It has a special ability that forces an opponent to need 6's to hit whenever they shoot at a model within 6" of the shadow lord. This prevents archer from killing models on the Howdah and prevents siege weapons from destroying the Mumak quickly since they don't Scatter when targeting a Mumak. Also the Beastmaster is exposed and only the Shadowlord's ability makes him safe. However, this is more for 800+point games. This combo will cost you about 600+ points minimum for good effect.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:59 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I believe the Mumak can brutal power attack but he cannot be hurled beyond simply taking the strike, he doesn't move or fall over.

I too own a mumak (need to finish painting him up, may start that now), I like taking the toughened hide (or whatever its called) as it makes him even harder to hurt in addition to the aforementioned upgrades.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

legion wrote:
SouthernDunedain wrote:

It says that in their rules? or is it an update in the Hobbit Rulebook?

All the FAQ states is that mumakil are not monstrous cavalry and so do not benefit from the knockdown rule. They are still monsters and all monsters can use brutal power attacks unless specifically stated.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

KhaosRising wrote:
All the FAQ states is that mumakil are not monstrous cavalry and so do not benefit from the knockdown rule. They are still monsters and all monsters can use brutal power attacks unless specifically stated.

And hence why Barge is the Mumak's best friend. Now you can move and charge twice a turn.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Creating an army of the darkest creatures under the mountains of mist...
legion wrote:
And hence why Barge is the Mumak's best friend. Now you can move and charge twice a turn.

oh nooo, their worse than before? Darn there going to be so hard to bring down...(grabs balrog and puts in on the table when no one's looking...)

My WIP
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=27391=50&t=27391
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It does indeed appear that mumaks can use BPA. I'm not convinced you could trample as you move again though. I have sent a email to the FAQ asking them for clarification 8) might be a while before a response is received though.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The only thing that restricts you from trampling is when you cant charge. That is why you cant use a Heroic March and trample extra that way. As long as your charging, you can trample
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

legion wrote:
The only thing that restricts you from trampling is when you cant charge. That is why you cant use a Heroic March and trample extra that way. As long as your charging, you can trample

I just can't see Barge being intended to be used that way, seems way OP. I too hope that is cleared up in a FAQ or i may take nothing but my Harad force rather than cycling through my main three

MiniWargaming