All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:11 pm

Post subject: An Unexpected Alliance - An Army of Erebor & Mirkwood
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hello good people of One Ring. I come to you today seeking advice and comments on two armies.

I'm playing a bit fast and loose with the theme; after the destruction of Erebor, Thorin rallies the survivors together for retribution and revenge. Aiding him is King Thranduil of the Woodland Realms.

Both armies come to 500 points on the dot.

Thorin with the Oakenshield
4 Warriors of Erebor with shield
5 Warriors of Erebor with spear

Balin
5 Warriors of Erebor with shield
4 Warriors of Erebor with spear

Thranduil with armour and bow
7 Mirkwood Rangers

500 points on the dot.
Total of 28 models, with 8 elven bows.
6 might to play with.

Or

Thorin with the Oakenshield
3 Warriors of Erebor with shield

Dwalin
3 Warriors of Erebor with shield

Thranduil with armour and bow
6 Mirkwood Rangers

500 points. 23 models, 7 bows, break at 12 and 7 might.

The first list seems the 'safer' option, with a significant boost in numbers. However, I'm unsure of how effective Balin will be.. not the best of combatants, I'm worried he'll kind of just mull around whilst the killing falls on Thorin's shoulders...

Which is why in the second list I've opted for the powerhouse that is Dwalin. But to get him in I have to sacrifice even more of my already rather low numbers, and though he's an excellent killer, to be honest he seems a little fragile... in three out of the four games I've played against him he's always gone down rather easily....

So, what're your opinions?

Last edited by KnightyKnight on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: An Unlikely Alliance
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I like the second list purely because of Dwalin. He wrecks everything pretty easily at S5 with the +1 to wound, that being said you're analysis is correct that his D isn't that great (for a Dwarf) but if you're careful he should be ok.
Also you have to think about how expensive the Mirkwood Rangers are, their archery is nice but they're quite an investment at this point level

MiniWargaming
 Post subject: Re: An Unexpected Alliance - An Army of Erebor & Mirkwood
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The problem here is that the new line of the hobbit you cant mix with old lotr stuff to make an army can you being that Dwalin and Thorin cant lead dwarf warriors right? Or can they lead them and the Iron guard and stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:47 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
The problem here is that the new line of the hobbit you cant mix with old lotr stuff to make an army can you being that Dwalin and Thorin cant lead dwarf warriors right? Or can they lead them and the Iron guard and stuff?

Dwalin and Thorin can lead Erebor Warriors and Grimmhammers but they cannot lead dwarf Warriors, Iron Guards, Khazad Guard etc.
There are a few cases where you can mix and match Hobbit & LotR stuff, The Wizards, Wanderers in the Wild, Dark Denezins of Mirkwood but mostly not.

I would not recommend using those Elves as allies for dwarves. The other way round yes though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Can you actually list all the forces for me of the main troops? Like Mirkwood archers, can they be led by Haldir?

How about the fact that Dwalin cant lead regular dwarf wariors? Whose to prove that 'dwarf warriors' arent generic to the Iron Hills, Erebor, Blue Mountains, and a bunch of Dwarven areas? Is there a definitive guide anywhere to all lists of who can fight with who?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:33 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Can you actually list all the forces for me of the main troops? Like Mirkwood archers, can they be led by Haldir?

How about the fact that Dwalin cant lead regular dwarf wariors? Whose to prove that 'dwarf warriors' arent generic to the Iron Hills, Erebor, Blue Mountains, and a bunch of Dwarven areas? Is there a definitive guide anywhere to all lists of who can fight with who?

Hey buddy, yup, the sourcebooks (the main army building tool you need for the games)

For elves and dwarves, pick up "The Free Peoples" worth it all day long :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thermo wrote:

Hey buddy, yup, the sourcebooks (the main army building tool you need for the games)

For elves and dwarves, pick up "The Free Peoples" worth it all day long :)

Theyre in there? Good....Ive been waiting for a package with them for like a week and a half now. I cant wait! I bought em all but moria. Ill end up getting it anyway....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:15 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Just to clear it up, Thorin, Dwalin etc are not in the free peoples book. And therefor cannot lead anything from it.

To use them and find out who they can lead you either need the big hobbit book, the DoS book or the PDF GW released before christmas.

To bring it back on topic, I like both lists and have the models to be able to do so. I might do some playtesting at the weekend and see if you're onto a winner ;)

Mid Sussex Wargamers