All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:33 am

Post subject: Opinions on Galadhrim elves
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey all

Collecting my first set of models after Xmas... i shall be purchasing some uruk hai (or maybe some warriors from the angmar force im finding it hard to be decisive lol) models along with its respective source book and the efgt and the rule book aswell..... id also like to purchase some warriors from the "good" side of middle earth too... i love the look of the galadhrim elves... i just want peoples thoughts and opinions on them ????
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on Galadhrim elves
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

They are very good but you'll probably want to buy a few more boxes then you'll need to fill up your warbands as you only get 4 shields in a box, making the warriors without shields venerable especially to uruk hai. For heroes get haldir and rumil ,who are both amazing. Thrnaduil is great too. You may also want to get some un-armoured wood elves as their throwing daggers are handy.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I went to a tournament with them, and as you can see in my signature, I didn't do that bad :) I was the best Good player.

My army was: Thranduil, Legolas and Rumil with 36 Galadhrim: 12 w/shield, 11 w/spear, 6 w/bow, 6 w/bow&spear and 1 w/banner. I took 4 deployment drops in the form of Merrin, Eowyn, Fatty and Lobelia.

I'd say Thranduil and Rumil are auto include for a good Galadhrim army. Legolas is an option, he has to be lucky to get that awesome shot.

The main problem I faced with this army was that you can't kill anything. This due to the lack of uber-heroes, S4 and/or multiple attack models.

There was a time, before Monsters rules and Warbands that they were one of the strongest armies in the game *sigh* good old days.

I have to disagree with black1blade on the throwing daggers. Now that they are 4+ instead of 3+, no longer worth these 2 points. But you could field some with spare points.

You might want to think about adding Tauriel with Palace Guards (all w/spear is optimal) to get some F6 and a real combat beast.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Galadhrim are great! My favourite army, shame I don't have many of the models (yet, come Christmas... Quickly).

From my experience with the Wood Elves side, they're pretty good. Haldir is a great hero to have, whether he's your army commander or a supporting hero to someone such as Celeborn. Galadriel is a good hero too. With her range of supporting magic makes the elves that bit deadlier.

Downsides to them though is they're small in number, and unarmoured elves have low defence.

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You can get away with using throwing daggers in 1000pts but yes you can't really use them at the expense of loosing models.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The only Galadhrim I use are warriors with spear and shield (which makes most of the box useless to me), and the Guards. The rest are wood elves, with enough bows to fill the 33% limit, and most of the rest are spears.

Denizen wrote:
I have to disagree with black1blade on the throwing daggers. Now that they are 4+ instead of 3+, no longer worth these 2 points. But you could field some with spare points.

Have to disagree with your disagreement :) It's true I don't always kill something with them, even over a whole game, but the threat alone is very effective, and once in a while brings great rewards. The wood elf who charged Saruman in my last game caused enough chaos that he pretty much paid for everyone else's TDs. I give them to every wood elf with a blade or spear, and field mostly spears. I think on balance they more than pay for themselves.

Bofur The Dwarf wrote:
Downsides to them though is they're small in number, and unarmoured elves have low defence.

This is where the wood elf spear is your best friend. You can't be wounded if you win the fight, even if you have to shield while you wait for reinforcements.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I also love the Galadhrim, although Id rather say I love Lothlorien, and Mirkwood.

I have Thranduil(old model with staff), Legolas, Haldir, Galadrial, Cirdan, a galadhrim banner bearer, 27 wood elves, 17 spearman, 7 with swords, 7 with bows, and 18 of Haldirs helms deep elves.

Close to done with what I want. I need some stormcallers, Rumil, and some more footsoldiers though!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I also love the elves, check out my recent wood elf army, and at the end my galadhrim army which is currently on my painting table, along with 18 knights :-)

Check it out:
http://eastgrinsteadwargamers.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/hobbit-sbg-wood-elves-army.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Leonardis wrote:

Wow, very nice. My wood elves are some of the first figures I painted, I dare not show them :)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
Leonardis wrote:

Wow, very nice. My wood elves are some of the first figures I painted, I dare not show them :)

Very nice indeed! My wood elves are still grey plastic! :sad:
Need to get them started I think!