All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 2:36 am

Post subject: Grim Hammers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So me being new to this i've been looking at my 1st models to get and looking at the grim hammers they look ace visually so whats the deal with them ??? i've seen a few post on here no favoring them how come ????
 Post subject: Re: Grim Hammers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:10 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

People are generally unhappy with their stats. They don't feel it reflects how Dwarvish Elite should be represented, especially with the likes of Khazad Guard.

If you love the models, which I do as well, there is nothing stopping you from using them as proxy models for Warriors of Erebor (Which with shields have better defence) or Khazad Guard (Which have better stats and Bodyguard). You'll just need to do some conversions to match the models to their new profiles.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:02 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Captain Andruil wrote:
People are generally unhappy with their stats. They don't feel it reflects how Dwarvish Elite should be represented, especially with the likes of Khazad Guard.

If you love the models, which I do as well, there is nothing stopping you from using them as proxy models for Warriors of Erebor (Which with shields have better defence) or Khazad Guard (Which have better stats and Bodyguard). You'll just need to do some conversions to match the models to their new profiles.

Totally agree with this, to be honest I'm responsible for a lot of "hate" for the profiles because I speak it often. Here's the summary of why I dislike them (I'm primarily a Dwarf player and I have every pre-Hobbit Dwarf so I understand the subtleties of the faction)

Reasons GH are Garbage
- They are the only Dwarf "Elite" without S4
- They cost as many points as a Khazad Guard but have lower Strength, Defense, and Courage (due to body-guard)
- They have throwing weapons but with the move/shoot penalty theyre very inaccurate and not worth much, and if you want throwing weapons take Iron Guard, for 4 more points you get an extra attack as well.

In summary they do NOTHING better than any other Dwarf Elite, (and each of the other 3 excell at their specific roles). Their only real benefit is they can bring a 2h weapon to a pure Erebor list; however they are not even cost effective in this role as you must pay the 3 points for a throwing weapon (as its built into their profile), so in conclusion: Dont field them as Grim Hammers, convert them to Warriors of Erebor or Proxy them as Khazads (as mentioned above).

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

JamesR wrote:
Totally agree with this, to be honest I'm responsible for a lot of "hate" for the profiles because I speak it often. Here's the summary of why I dislike them (I'm primarily a Dwarf player and I have every pre-Hobbit Dwarf so I understand the subtleties of the faction)

Reasons GH are Garbage
- They are the only Dwarf "Elite" without S4
- They cost as many points as a Khazad Guard but have lower Strength, Defense, and Courage (due to body-guard)
- They have throwing weapons but with the move/shoot penalty theyre very inaccurate and not worth much, and if you want throwing weapons take Iron Guard, for 4 more points you get an extra attack as well.

In summary they do NOTHING better than any other Dwarf Elite, (and each of the other 3 excell at their specific roles). Their only real benefit is they can bring a 2h weapon to a pure Erebor list; however they are not even cost effective in this role as you must pay the 3 points for a throwing weapon (as its built into their profile), so in conclusion: Dont field them as Grim Hammers, convert them to Warriors of Erebor or Proxy them as Khazads (as mentioned above).

You do as I've seen 100 times on this forum and compare them to khazad and iron guard, which are indeed much better choices.

However, khazad/iron guard can't play in an army of thror list. My question would be, if you can completely ignore the comparison to other dwarven elites please, are grimhammers take-able in an army of thror or are they simply not worth the points compared to erebor dwarves?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Personally, I'd say no (or only in very small numbers) only because they have the throwing weapons built into their profile at full cost. If you could field a Grimhammer for 8 points without throwing weapons I'd be scooping them up lol.

Really the special rules for their pick-hammer was supposed to me a huge plus but hammers have a very limited special strike (and by that I mean it's very situational).

So really it boils down to, if you want some 2-hand weapons for a pure Army of Thror list and you don't mind paying a few too many points for each then go for it.

MiniWargaming