All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:24 am

Post subject: Warg Rider army Help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey all ! I've been a long time lurker of the site and recently just got back into the hobby :) In the past I've mainly collected infantry based good armies, and after converting and painting up some regular warg riders, and liked how they looked, I decided to build a army around them. I personally don't like the sculpts of the Hunter orcs on wargs (I find the chests seem out of proportion to me) which is why I want to stay away from them.

I was thinking of doing a combined Warg Rider and Hunter Orcs, and I just wanted your thoughts on the idea before making a list and buying more minis. what are your experiences with the hunter orcs? Would it be a fun list to play? Is it even possible to combine the two? What kind of strategies would be good? I was thinking of using it as a versatile hit and run force, just to change it up from my shield wall marching good forces. Ill try and make a quick list if it'll help answer my questions more.

thanks for the help. :)
B.
 Post subject: Re: Warg Rider army Help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:51 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well both have similar roles but at same time difer in their aproax.
If you want more survivability the warg rider is better due to the fact having shield option.
Hunter orcs if you wanna take em, go on foot since they rather get more benefits to their A profile rather than on warg back.
Keep in mind of all, hunter orc characters are the most powerfull of their kind when mounted. But if you want no footslog type jsut get the main hunter orc characters and fill the core with fell wargs which are equaly savage as their Isengard´s or Mordor´s bretheren.

If you field Isengard mixing hunter orcs you can get very cheap Isengard captains on warg or sharku, these guys are pretty decent for orc captains for their cost and easily fill up the squad leader´s requirement giving you alot points to spare in alot of wargs/warg riders.

If you want to go with mordor as ally with hunter orcs, gothmog despite expensive is well worth it, being the only orc that is mounted with really high defence and very good stats...

Although through all this you also have the orc shamans option, a well place channeling fury to make them ignore wounds at 5+ could potencially save a good number of models a turn.

The downside of this army is that your paying orcs to the price of Rohirrim that despite being superior in speed and strength their 1st real weakness is the lack of defence combined with low courage. So instead of having alot models like an horde of 30/40 you end up with like 18 that will make you suffer when your army breaks.

You have to be a quick turning and attacking quickly if you wanna suceed or add alot fell wargs in the hope´s of in number you wont break that soon and have bodies to fill it in.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the quick response and the run down on the hunter orcs!

I tried thinking of a quick 500 list and came up with something rough like this:

[edited by moderator: please don't put specific point costs in for heroes]

WB1 - 146 Pts
Narzug
12 Hunter Orcs

WB2 - 141 Pts
Hunter Orc Captain
12 Hunter Orcs

WB3 - 133 Pts
Sharku
6 Warg Riders w/shield

420 Points total

Which leaves me with 80 points to spare and 33 models. I think I counted the points correctly, I used the PDF on the GW site to figure out the hunter orc section and the MoM book for the rest. I know there isn't a model yet for the Hunter Orc captain, but the profile included the special rule for +1A, which was attractive.

Like I said, I would like to use it as a very mobile and versatile force, but do the warg riders bring any positives to the table? Would it be smart to use the extra points to give the riders bow, or even throwing spears and use them like a mobile ranged platform to harass the enemy? And what about hunter orcs with bows? Or would the extra points be better served to get more troops?

Any comments are welcome :) I'm new to the gaming part of the hobby, so I'm not looking for the best, just something fun to play, and to play against !
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Probably just adding more warg riders to fill the last warband.

Last edited by black1blade on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

with 80pts left you could:

Add 6 warg riders with shields to warband 3 (total 12)

Or

Get another warband removing a few orc hunters on foot
then add fimbul and like 3 or 4 orc hunters on warg or instead of fimbul yazneg