All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:30 pm

Post subject: Haradrim upgrades
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So I've been a long time haradrim player and have started to branch out with my unit types lately. What I'm wondering is if anyone has much experience playing with or against haradrim with the warriors of karna upgrade?

I love the sound of using the 50% bow limit with archers at a 3+ hit but not sure if the +2 points value (taking them to 9 points) is viable given their low defense.

Any tips or recommendations would be great!

P.s. Watchers of karna are out as I don't particularity like the models and they are mighty expensive to get in large numbers
 Post subject: Re: Haradrim upgrades
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If you can't afford or don't like Watchers of Karna then I find that Warriors of Karna make a still efficient and affordable alternative. The three plus shoot value with 50% bows and poison is very reliable especially combined with the Betrayer (likely on fellbeast for magic and combat support) where the re-roll 2's will get more use with higher numbers. I know that it's an army that my Wood Elves hate playing against as hitting on 3's then wounding on 5's while re-rolling 1's and 2's can kill an awful lot of Wood Elves in one turn. That sort of build is one of the main reasons I try to fit a Cast Blinding Light character into my tournament lists.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Always go for the actual Watchers of Karna rather than the upgrade. The models are quite expensive but honestly I just use normal Haradrim archers and gave them the Watchers' paint scheme, it works quite well. For 1 point more than a normal Haradrim with the Karna upgrade, you get a base of 2 attacks, a better Fight value, and that nifty courage bonus. For 1 point more. Yes it stacks up but you either get 10 'meh' archers or 9 archers that happen to be quite fantastic at hand-to-hand as well as good shots.

I have yet to test my list out but consider making the other half of your forces normal Haradrim spearmen. I'm going to be fighting my brother's Easterling mob and my other's Rohirrim warband at some point this week with 10 Watchers of Karna and 10 spearmen all going in pairs. The idea here obviously being Watchers of Karna with a supporting bloke right behind him to boost their already high attack.

Haradrim - 300
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Maloric wrote:
The models are quite expensive but honestly I just use normal Haradrim archers and gave them the Watchers' paint scheme, it works quite well.

That works fine for home play, but a tournament probably wouldn't allow it.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Maloric, that's a good idea however this will be a GW tournament so it's a no go.

I've got 17 in a 600 point list so will give it a play test and see how they go!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Aaahhh I gotcha! The upgraded guys should be able to pull their weight with shooting, just take care to keep their vulnerable butts supported! :P

Haradrim - 300