WB 2
Shagrat, Captain of Cirith Ungol
3 Morannon Orcs - Shield
3 Morannon Orcs - Spear
4 Orc Trackers

WB 3
Mordor Orc Shaman
Mordor Troll

I tried to keep things simple. The Dark Marshall seems like a good "all-around" Ringwraith. He'll stay behind the lads, casting and giving off his banner effect. Shagrat seems like a solid hero, and his 3 Might will be a big bonus over the 2 of a generic hero. Fury looks like an absolute beast of a power for a Mordor force, so I had to include a Shaman. The Morannons form my core. I wanted to have a big fella, but didn't want a monster mash. Will he be too much of a target? The Trackers were just to fill out my last 20 points, and the bow seemed better than the armor on the basic orc.

What do you guys think?
 Post subject: Re: 500 Mordor, first attempt
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd go for a more magic-based Wraith if you're just gonna hide him behind the troops. Maybe the Shadow Lord or the Undying instead?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

And lose the horse for the Wraith, if he's the only mounted guy, he's basically a target for archers. If he's not backed up by other cavalry (as is the case with this army), you probably shouldn't bother with it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I couldn't disagree with Goldman more. On a horse the DM will have a better line of sight to cast spells with and can get where he needs to be much easier than if he were on foot. Also I think DM is a good choice for a wraith to act as a support, just remember his banner, I always end up forgetting it whenever I use him :(

That said, I'd drop the troll for more orcs, or at the very least put the shaman in the warband with the orcs so he can be of use if your army deploys all over the place :)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Not gonna lie, completely forgot about the DM's banner rule.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I couldn't disagree with Goldman more. On a horse the DM will have a better line of sight to cast spells with and can get where he needs to be much easier than if he were on foot. Also I think DM is a good choice for a wraith to act as a support, just remember his banner, I always end up forgetting it whenever I use him :(

That said, I'd drop the troll for more orcs, or at the very least put the shaman in the warband with the orcs so he can be of use if your army deploys all over the place :)

Maybe I'm missing it in my read-through of the rules, but why does it matter what warband a hero goes in the army list?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

GWvsJohn wrote:
Maybe I'm missing it in my read-through of the rules, but why does it matter what warband a hero goes in the army list?

It matters if you want to deploy them together. You normally deploy each warband separately, so depending on the scenario deployment rules, you could end up with your Shaman and Troll in a different part of the board than your orcs.

I can't recall which scenario (away from book), but I once had Faramir roll a 1 to arrive 3 turns in a row. I didn't want to spend the Might to force the arrival (though I should have). Needless to say, if you find yourself in the same position, your Shaman becomes a big waste of points.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
It matters if you want to deploy them together. You normally deploy each warband separately, so depending on the scenario deployment rules, you could end up with your Shaman and Troll in a different part of the board than your orcs.

I can't recall which scenario (away from book), but I once had Faramir roll a 1 to arrive 3 turns in a row. I didn't want to spend the Might to force the arrival (though I should have). Needless to say, if you find yourself in the same position, your Shaman becomes a big waste of points.

I see my error now. I hadn't read the scenario deployment rules closely enough.

What do people think of Morgul Stalkers?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:11 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You really need to drop the troll for more troops. You don't really need a heavy hitter at this level if you already have that many Morannons.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:22 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

GWvsJohn wrote:
What do people think of Morgul Stalkers?

Just MHO, but meh. Compare to a berzerker, I don't think you're getting anything that useful. I suppose the cloak has its purpose, but it's not like they can skirt the edges and shoot back (like, say, a Sentinel). They have to come into contact to do anything, and once they're in a fight their stats won't keep them alive very long.

I think Stalkers are more a scenario profile than an army profile.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:32 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They entirely depend on the amount of terrain on the board.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Since Hunter Orcs have exactly the same profile, they pay 7 points for a imo useless Elven Cloak (seeing how archery is pretty much non-existant).

About your army:

Drop Shagrat for Grishnakh or Gorbag. I'd be taking him just for his 3 might and the others provide that just as well. Also Shagrat is an Uruk-hai, while the others are Orcs, benefitting from your Shaman.

A Troll is very nice but indeed a bit expensive. I'd either go for a Mordor Troll Chieftain with a budget Wraith (80-90 points). Or drop him for more Orcs.
Not a fan of Trackers (or archery at all), but that's a matter of taste :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Two expensive models (Troll and Dark Marshal) in 500pts is probably a bit much, especially when in combination with another above average hero (Shagrat) as well as 'elite' infantry (i.e. Mordor has cheaper stuff on offer).

First of all, give Shagrat a shield. I've never come to regret spending those few points to increase the armour of any hero, and shielding has more than once saved many a hero's life.

Furthermore, I'd go for either an unnamed Nazgûl (with some extra Might and Will, depending on points spare, as well as a horse) and more orcs or the Dark Marshal on (armoured) horse and no Troll, with again more troops. I'd generally prefer to bring some 30-35 troops at 500pts with Mordor, if possible 3 full warbands.
While Shagrat (and Morannon orcs) can already do plenty of damage, you could perhaps take some cavalry along as well. Morgul Knights are great with the Dark Marshal, profitting not just from his banner, but also the -1 courage for opponents charging them [terror]). Expensive though, and not strictly necessary here.
Finally, archery is generally all-or-nothing: so about as much as fit in the bow limit, or none at all. If you definitely won't outshoot the opponent, either those archers stay back and contribute little, or move along and not shoot. A couple of trackers will generally just die quickly, and in your first list, that means only 9 more guys need to be dispatched and your force is already broken (and your Troll may well flee the field before doing anything)...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
orgul Knights are great with the Dark Marshal, profitting not just from his banner, but also the -1 courage for opponents charging them [terror]). Expensive though, and not strictly necessary here.

You'd rather have 5 Morgul Knights than a Mordor Troll? Imo one Hurl can do more damage than those Morgul Knights will do in the entire game :)