All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:21 am

Post subject: gondor 500 pt
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:50 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

wondering if this list is suitable for a game that has a good chance of winning.
faramir: with lance shield heavy armor and armored horse
with 12 Osgiliath Veteran (6 spear 12 shield)

Damrod :
with 12 rangers of gondor with the rangers of ithilien upgrade

beregond:
with 12 warriors of minas tirith 6 spear and 12 shield with the ithilien guard up grade

and peregin took on a pony (citadel guard). that 499 points.

there's 36 warriors and 4 hero's.
 Post subject: Re: gondor 500 pt
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Looks pretty decent and fun. I'd give the rangers some spears though even if you have to drop some from WOMT...getting F4 support is better than F3. And you can always take spears to fill out those extra points, ie 499 > 500
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hmm if i reduce any numbers to the worriors and add spears to rangers i would b8 the 1/3 bow limit
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

As opposed to the removal of troops why don't you instead remove the spears from the Warriors and give them to the Rangers? It's a net change of 0 points

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm not sure you need the upgrades on your rangers and warriors of minas tirith. If you dropped those upgrades (which will only really be useful if you plan on drawing your enemy in to some wooded terrain and he falls for it) and Faramir's armoured horse you could upgrade Damrod to Madril, or Beregond to Cirion. That'd give you two more might and an extra attack on one of your heroes.

That said, 3 full warbands in 500 points is very good. It's a very similar list to what I run, which tends to be very successful, so I can see it doing very well.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

JamesR wrote:
As opposed to the removal of troops why don't you instead remove the spears from the Warriors and give them to the Rangers? It's a net change of 0 points

This would be my advice, too.

Keep the front line with sword and shield to benefit from the heavy armour, and keep the rangers (with their lighter armour and no shields) as support and bowfire, as required.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Gwaryan wrote:
I'm not sure you need the upgrades on your rangers and warriors of minas tirith.

Agree about that. It's thematically interesting, but maybe it only needs to be the rangers.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fun as he may be, upgrading Damrod to Madril is probably more useful than taking Pippin, as his 3 Might and special rule will add quite a bit more - gives you another semi-survivable hero too. Unless you play on heavily forested tables, only taking woodland creature Rangers should be enough, especially since they at least will have a hero to lead them in the woods. Giving at least half the Rangers spears would be worth it, and potentially all, so that they can support the much more solid front line.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

the reason why i took the forest upgrades is because 4/6 tables have a bit of forests in them. abd the miridel does seem like a better choice if i drop pippen and replace beregond. and i don't want my rangers near my foe so i rather have them be in a forest / ruin's to be able to shoot my foes with them and keep the spears on my warriors. and how good are knights of the white tower? considering getting at least 2 for furute army's. thx for feed back.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

IMHO, the KoWT is only useful when with another hero teaming up on a big opponent. You use the other hero to win the fight, then the Knight's special rule is useful.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I wouldn't be too worried about your rangers being near the enemy. With their higher fight value than your normal Warriors of Minas Tirith they're quite likely to hold their own in combat, especially as you have quite a lot of them.

I'd still reccomend dropping the Ithilien upgrade from them though. If you deploy them in a wood or move them in to a wood, it's a possibility that you'll end up with trees partially blocking the line of sight of your archers, meaning that you'll have to take an in the way roll just to make sure you hit (and strength 2 bows aren't the best causers of damage even without this). You could say that with the upgrade you can move 3inches in order to counteract this, but if you have to move to avoid the trees you're making it harder to shoot in the first place, and if you move first then your opponent can try and move his troops so the trees or other terrain end up as a barricade again. Furthermore, if you're intent on keeping them in the woods, then your opponent can just stay away from that area of the board (although this would limit him to effectively half the table, a fairly useful tactic).

You also say you'd upgrade Beregond to Madril, I'd suggest replacing Damrod instead. You want Beregond's bodyguard rule to help his standfasts later on in the game if you go under 50% of your troops.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hmm ok i messed the points up a bit towards some things. i forgot to add points with the womt with the ithiien gaurd but i was going to remove it. how about this i do remove those upgrades i remove feramirs lance and 2 osgiliath vet and replaced them with 2 normal womt with a shield. and use cirion, madril and faramir as hero's. i get a better hero in general although sacrificing a range hero.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So this?

Warband I - 207pts
Faramir
Heavy Armour
Shield
Armoured Horse
4 Osgiliath Veterans
Shield
6 Osgiliath Veteans
Shield and Spear
2 Warriors of Minas Tirith
Shield

Warband 2 - 151pts
Madril
12 Rangers of Gondor

Warband 3 - 157pts
Cirion
6 WOMT
Shields
6 WOMT
Shields and Spears

This comes to 515 points, which means you'll need to find 15pts to drop. You could remove Cirion for Beregond to free up 30 points. Then you could swap those 2 WOMT back to Veterans, maybe upgrade a warrior to have a banner. The possibilities are endless. Sort of.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gwaryan wrote:
So this?

Warband I - 207pts
Faramir
Heavy Armour
Shield
Armoured Horse
4 Osgiliath Veterans
Shield
6 Osgiliath Veteans
Shield and Spear
2 Warriors of Minas Tirith
Shield

Warband 2 - 151pts
Madril
12 Rangers of Gondor

Warband 3 - 157pts
Cirion
6 WOMT
Shields
6 WOMT
Shields and Spears

This comes to 515 points, which means you'll need to find 15pts to drop. You could remove Cirion for Beregond to free up 30 points. Then you could swap those 2 WOMT back to Veterans, maybe upgrade a warrior to have a banner. The possibilities are endless. Sort of.

im using excel so i must of messed up how it added up i fixed it now. i could just drop of the 2 extra WOMT and that give em 1 point for for a spear on a ranger. that would bring it to 500. beregond would be cooler to have in more of a themed army (which i rather enjoy playing more :D ). but this is list is for a campaign and i am aiming to win this one.

Edit: oops found the proplem in dropping the 2 off aghh bow limit Y_Y. hmm let me fiddle with it a bit.

Edit II: found a solution. drop the armor horse. might make faramir weaker but it allows me to make him stay with his troops more (habit of letting my cav go ahead and charge my foes ). so all foot troops really but i should be find vsing cav if i can shoot them down
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, getting rid of Faramir's horse is a nice idea. The extra attack and potential for double strikes is always useful, but at the end of the day it'd work best with more than one mounted troops for maximum effect.

Do you know which armies you're likely to face at the tournament?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:09 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

i can make a few. Rohan, Isenguard, fiefdom, eastern kingdoms, rivendale, and minas tirith. there the army's i know of currently.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:02 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ok so the helpfulness that u all gave me i have been getting but a positive thing about this army ill be testing it out this wens to see if it will do well as a test battle :) thx u all
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Let us know how you get on… And pictures are always good :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:29 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

how the battle when't: the battle was won by Gondor. but it was a close match. no photos of it though cam wasn't working Y_Y. it was to capture the objective and i was fighting isenguard with a troll. the rangers did a good job took out a berserker and a banner and a few of his troops. the veterans were not as good but they were out numbed. and the WOMT hold there own very well even when the troll was fighting them. i won by 1 point so it was very close. faramir was only 1 wound till dying though and he had to retreat to denied him 3 points O_O sooooo close.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Good job! I think Isengard is one of Gondor's toughest foes especially the legion troops.