All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:31 am

Post subject: Evil Army musings for 500pt GBHL bat reps
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So one of the biggest bits of feedback we've been receiving about the bat reps on the channel is the need in the future for greater diversity and whilst we are focused on finding new opponents who bring a variety of armies to the table (literally) it's also important that we (particularly me) diversify in the armies we bring! Whilst I have other armies lined up in the painting queue, all of them are good armies!

So I have begun collecting an evil "Corsair" based list and am playing around with some list ideas. Let me know your thoughts!

List 1

W1 - Suladan (horse)
10 Corsair Reavers

W2 - Corsair Bo'Sun (spear)
10 Watchers of Karna

W3 - Shade
9 Orcs (spears)

List 2

W1 - Mahud King (shield)
12 Corsair Reavers

W2 - Corsair Bo'Sun (spear)
11 Watchers of Karna

W3 - Shade
9 Orcs (spear)

List 3

W1 - Suladan (horse)
9 Corsair Reavers

W2 - Mahud King (shield)
9 Corsair Reavers

W3 - Shade
8 Orcs (spear)

Anyhow, just some musings! I have a shade, seems to make sense to bring in some cheap spear support if he's there to support the 2 attack, fight 5 Reavers. Mahud King is quite cheap and strength 5 is nice, as we've seen with Dwalin and KotP on charge. Whilst Suladan can bring much needed might. Contemplating Bo'Sun with the banner effect. Could be handy in combo with shade and 2A f5 Reavers? Poison arrows from f4 2A Watchers ain't too bad either. Thought about maybe trying to get betrayer in there with his master of poisons, or even trying to support Reavers with Serpent Guard for same reason.

No experience with any of the above so advice appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: Evil Army musings for 500pt GBHL bat reps
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:16 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I like your first list because it's the least 1-dimensional. My only critique is using Suldan without much in the way of Harad in the lists doesn't work for me personally. I'd vote Dalmyar or at least a Hasharii assassin in his place, their Bane of a kings is well worth it

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:33 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
I like your first list because it's the least 1-dimensional. My only critique is using Suldan without much in the way of Harad in the lists doesn't work for me personally. I'd vote Dalmyar or at least a Hasharii assassin in his place, their Bane of a kings is well worth it

I agree, this evil list is certainly a far step from the usual themed armies I bring (such as my all mounted Rohan!) However, to bring a Hasharin or even Dalamyr is to make the list almost mightless which is a big problem.

I could do something like this…?

W1 - Mahud King (shield)

W2 - Corsair Captain
9 Corsair Reavers

W3 - Corsair Bo'Sun (spear)
9 Corsair Reavers

W4 - Shade
8 Orcs (spear)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

10 Corsair Reavers , that WILL cost you alot :D
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Got tons of corsair ready for stripping and converting! :)

Obviously could swap out the 10 Reavers for Watchers...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I dont have any Watcher's atm , my harad army has stayed where it was years ago , a mumak 2x harad blister commanders and 72 harad warriors , odd harad chieftain etc , suladan on foot old version , Harasharri model old version. I should really start expanding it to be honest :D
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh hang , i hear that the Corsair Reaver's was never an actual release , interesting... how are you going to do your conversion James , i was thinking perhaps hunter orcs with corsair human heads. You only ruin a £12.00 box of corsairs of umbar so no biggie.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just making sure they've got a weapon each hand, likely taking the axes off of my Warriors of Erebor, since I'm giving them swords :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Really wouldn't slap the shade in there if I were you. Shades kinda defeat the whole point of a 'strategy battle game', maybe swap the shade for burdhur if you want to ally in angmar and then you have enough might to safely field a hasharin/dalamyr.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:00 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

But I have a shade, surely it makes sense to use him? Seems like it compliments a list with reavers too :)

Don't worry, I've not gone all power gamer on everyone but I'm interested to see how it works :)

All mounted Rohan is still my baby

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:59 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

A couple of things worth mentioning...

Shades are most effective with low pointed and fight models (goblins are the classic). With Watchers (f4) and reavers (f5) its almost overkill for the points you pay for it.

Also, and this is something Im sure youre aware of, if theres any kind of bowfire on the other side you'll be shredded as all your troops are D4!

Id say list 3 would be cool. Always like seeing mahud and a bo'sun would be a bit of a waste alongside the shade (at least in my mind).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gildor_Inglorion wrote:
Also, and this is something Im sure youre aware of, if theres any kind of bowfire on the other side you'll be shredded as all your troops are D4!

Id say list 3 would be cool. Always like seeing mahud and a bo'sun would be a bit of a waste alongside the shade (at least in my mind).

These last 2 points are very important, (I don't have any experience with shades).
You'll probably want some kinda protection from bowfire (slow movement, low defence), or else you will be absolutely shredded before you reach combat (believe me I've had this happen many times with Corsairs), and to make it worse because you're going for more expensive Reavers your model count has suffered aswell.

I would suggest either a screening unit of either throwaway Orcs/Haradrim, or something with a higher defence, e.g. Mahud or Orcs with shields. Or you could use something like the Shadowlord.

The second point is also true. The Bo'Sun is a bit useless unless you have mostly Corsairs, as in this case he'll only help the Reavers, not the Watchers.
The Mahud King is useful, but without Suladan you're gonna be running quicker than I don't know what once you're broken, which my be quite quick with the low defence of the Reaver and Watchers. Don't expect the Bo'Sun to hang around either, you might be better swapping him for a Captain.

Not meaning to be too critical, but I think the points Gildor made were worth elaborating. :)

OERP