All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

Post subject: The Battle of Dunafon Pass: Rohan vs Isengard
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:59 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

War has come to the Horselords. A power grows to their west, and even the whisperings of a poisonous traitor cannot abate the prideful anger of their leaders.

Uruk marauders have burned and pillaged, their aggression unchecked by the leadership of an ailing king. His son, Theodred, led a brave counter-offensive, and ordered his captains to establish positions along the western border of Rohan.

The Gap of Rohan is well defended, but the villages of the Westfold still burn. How are the Uruk's slipping in to their country unseen, to wreak havoc amongst their smallfolk?

The two greatest Captains of Rohan, (save for the memory of the King as he was, and Theodred himself), are sent south to investigate. Erkenbrand and Eomer ride south.

In the quiet vale of Dunafon, lies a westbound pass through the northern reaches of the White Mountains. He who controls this pass controls a secret way through the mountains in to the heartland of Rohan. Thought to be long forgotten by any enemy, it is lightly guarded.

Erkenbrand and Eomer find the village of Dunafon burned. Now they are certain this pass is the route the Uruks have found, bypassing the gap of Rohan. They will need a great company of footmen to assault the pass, but in the meantime they need only shore it up, taking the hill which overlooks the pass- high ground strong enough to repel an attacker many times the size of their small raiding forces.

Quote:
Scenario: High Ground
Forces: 500 points each, Rohan vs Isengard.

Snapped a few photos of this battle as we played, not really thinking to make a battle report. However, I thought I'd give it a first and tentative try. Hope you like it! It'll be more of a story than a proper technical report, as we didn't do much note taking. However, it turned out to be an interesting battle nonetheless.

As the Eored advanced west to take the defensive high point they could already see foul Uruk Hai pouring out of the pass.

"We have been spotted my lord" Erkenbrand called to the King's nephew, who's armoured horse was already baying in anticipation.

Eomer nodded grimly, narrowing his eyes.

"And they have an armoured troll with them" he replied. "This will be a day worthy of song".

Immediately both men began to evaluate the battlefield. To the south side of the hill was a company of armoured Uruk accompanied by a gigantic troll clad in iron. To the north of the hill two companies of uruks, a small group of crossbowmen and a larger group formed up in to a shield wall, and backed with a row of razor sharp pikes.

With a cry of "Forth Eorlingas!" Eomer dug in his spurs and his battle company lurched forward, firing off a volley of arrows. One Uruk fell, his companions dispassionately tramping over his fallen corpse. The Uruks returned fire, but their crossbow bolts found no flesh to bite.

Meanwhile Erkenbrand too had advanced, both companies converging at the east end of the hill to confound their enemy, and enable them to concentrate their forces one way or the next.

"My Lord" said Faerot, an elite Son of Eorl, famed for his courage. "We should take position on the hill. From there we will be unassailable". Eomer shook his head. Our swift hooves are our greatest asset here, and they are of more use on soft ground than rocky hillock".
Indeed, the ascent was impossible in most places, and the few paths suitable for horses looked narrow and treacherous.

In response to the Rohan advance the shield wall of Uruks broke in to a jog, ignoring the hail of arrows loosed at them. They had spotted a natural bottleneck- a perfect place to hold off a cavalry charge, and prevent a flanking manoeuvre. The Rohirrim immediately counter-charged, killing two Uruks. But the iron skinned orcs held with grim determination.

Meanwhile though, one brave or perhaps foolhardy Redshield of Westfold had found his way through the Uruk battle line, and was charging down the small band of crossbowmen! His charge though, was premature, and without support he was cut down by a deadly volley of crossbow bolts, managing only to take one of the foul Uruks with him.

On the southern side of the battlefield the smell of blood had proved too much for the troll. While the Uruk's had wisely decided to ascend the hill and face off any cavalry charge with the high ground in their favour, the Troll had seen Erkenbrand and his friends, and roared in defiance, charging towards them.

The Uruk were confused- half of them followed their original orders and ascended the hill, attempting to set up a defensive position there. The other half followed the enraged troll, thinking it best to stay with the deadly creature.

Meanwhile Eomer now rode in to the Uruk line, evoking the battle cries of his ancestors. He felled an Uruk with ease before levelling his gaze on their Captain, who, before Eomer had the chance to respond, was on him in a savage storm of aggression. The Pike wall was faltering, and now two riders broke through, jumping over two fallen Uruk's to charge the crossbowmen who had brought up the rear. Their fierce Captain roared in defiance, counter-charging the horsemen, one Westfold Redshield and Faerot, the Emerald Clad Son of Eorl who had spoken previously. The Uruk Captain slashed upwards savagely sidestepping the charge and cutting through horse and rider in one deadly motion. Faerot rode down his own foe, taking two crossbow bolts to his sturdy shield.

To the south the Uruk's could not keep up with the bounding Troll, who's bloodlust was now out of all control. Erkenbrand gritted his teeth and roared fiercely at the creature before leading devastating charge against it. The troll swung both spear and shield at the charging horsemen, while the rest of Erkenbrand's men flanked the troll and attempted to charge the Uruk chasing after it.

By now Eomer had slain the Uruk Captain who had defied him, and despite inflicting several casualties of their own, the shield wall collapsed with the loss of their leader. Behind enemy lines, hopelessly cut off, Faerot cleaved another foe with his mighty axe before falling himself, gloriously, in a hail of crossbow bolts.

The troll, now overextended, was hopelessly surrounded, and despite it's terrifying strength fell to the devastating Rohirrim charge.

The loss of the troll was too much for the Uruks, who fled at the sight of it, back up in to the mountain pass from whence they came.

A blast from the Horn of the Hammerhand sounded the Rohan victory. But their danger was not over. Now the pass of Dunafon must be secured… and all else lay to hope that the Westfold defences would hold...

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting

Last edited by mertaal on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: The Battle of Dunafon Pass: Rohan vs Isengard
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Excellent stuff! That was a really well written report. The winter board looks great too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Really good battle report, lovely read.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice report, And nice scenario story . Well done!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Brilliant report and well painted miniatures.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Are your sons of Eorl conversion matey?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks guys! Next time my pal Tom is around I will be sure to take more pictures and notes, and do a bit more of a detailed report!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Very enjoyable battle report; I especially liked that one of the Sons was given a prominent role in the narrative.

I am sure that when you'll have completed the terrain it will look fantastic. Where did you buy the trees from? I'd be interested in purchasing some.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

ste271276 wrote:
Are your sons of Eorl conversion matey?

Apologies for missing this post. Yes, they're conversions, and can currently be seen in the Nov-Dec conversion and sculpting competition!

However, the more I've been painting them the more I've been unhappy with the job. They'll do for now, but in the long term I may re-visit the project and try my hand at a few more.

Trees: They're just woodland scenic's tree armatures, without the foliage. I think I picked them up off eBay, or maybe Antenocitis workshop.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like your board pal :) Good report too! Keep it up fellow Horse Master and make sure you make it up to Manchester someday soon for a battle report!

Also, get you and the gang you play with to mark our April 12th/13th next year, want you involved for the channel (will release details after Chrimbo)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice winter board
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for your reply; I am looking forward for more battle reports!