All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:36 pm

Post subject: GBHL Batrep suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Another bat rep likely to be released tonight/early hours tomorrow. This time Isengard take on my all all mounted Eored… oh dear!

What kind of bat reps would you like to see on the channel? Points costs, scenarios, armies, troops, heroes in actions… let me know and I'll work on it!

Post subject: Re: GBHL Batrep suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Some higher point games (750 maybe) because it would be cool to see some more powerful heroes and monsters. Also a battle report that don't include rohan. Good vs evil is always good as that is the way the game was designed. Stuff like grey co vs rohan makes me cringe a bit because yes they would of squabbled but at the time of the war of the ring, I'm sure they could do without killing each other and hunting orcs instead.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I like your BatReps, I always watch them! :-D Some miniatures I'd like to see are the Dunedain or Rangers of the North. Some other things I'd love to see is scenarios from the movies. Maybe sme devised by yourself, or from the available sourcebooks. In particular, I'd love to see attack on Weathertop or Balin's Tomb, or even a campaign from Scouring of the Shire.

Just a few of my favourite scenario ideas really, ones I love to play or really want to play :-D

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey Black1Blade, thanks for the suggestions :)

We will certainly be doing some higher points games in the future. However, between 350 points and 500 points is the sweet spot for regular bat reps 1) For the time of the game. If we want to get 2 or 3 bat reps per week filmed in our spare time, the higher the points games, the harder this will be to fulfil on a regular basis 2) The time it takes to edit, render and upload becomes horrendous! I enjoy doing it but footage of a 2-3 hour game tends to be about 45-50 minutes of footage to cut down to about 25-35 minutes of video, which takes a couple of hours to edit then a couple to render and between 4-6 hours to upload to youtube.

But it's something we'll definitely do maybe monthly in the future!

With regards to the amount of Rohan you see, that's because I'm getting out the majority of the battle reports… and I'm a Rohan player! And bar the Grey Company, it's the only 500 point force I have fully painted up. This will change, as I have 500 points Rivendell Elven army variations which need to be finished and Army of Thror to paint up.

When it comes to evil, I suppose I'm just a good player at heart! But I am in the process of putting together a Corsair army for the battle reports, which should mean I can personally control how much evil is represented in my own battle reports, as currently, it will rely on whatever my opponents bring or whether Jamie films a bat rep and uses his Goblins.

I think so far on the channel we've had
Mirkwood vs Rohan 500pts (Good vs Good)
Rohan vs Harad 500pts (Good vs Evil)
Rohan vs Moria Goblins 500pts (Good vs Evil)
Mirkwood vs Gondor 350pts (Good vs Good)
Rohan vs Arnor 500pts (Good vs Good)
Rohan vs Khazad Dum 500pts (Good vs Good)
Rohan vs Arnor 350pts (Good vs Good)
Grey Company vs Mordor 500pts (Good vs Evil)

Tonight/tomorrow morning it's an Isengard vs Rohan being released (Evil vs Good) and I think Jamie has one in the bank too.

It just very much depends on what our opponents bring, so the more challengers travelling up, the better for the channel :)

I personally don't mind good vs good or evil vs evil as although the game allows us to dip into middle-earth, which I love, I don't see the battles as reenactments but as a war-game but I agree, I would love more variety going forwards. I'm working on it! My treebeard will be painted by the end of the day, I'm finishing my Grey Company and stripping some of the corsairs… after this bat rep is edited!

:) Thanks for your support, it's appreciated!

Hi Bofur, just seen your post!

I'm so glad you're loving the bat reps! I'm sure we've had plenty with Rangers of the North (no dunedain though :( lovely models for theme but for a point more for the extra defence, Rangers of the North all day long) See the Rohan vs Dwarves, Rohan vs Arnor (350pts) and Grey Company vs Mordor for Rangers of the North!

Special Scenarios is DEFINITELY something in the pipeline. We want to make sure we have the painted miniatures for each scenario, so it looks really cool on camera but we'll definitely get around to it :D It's on our list!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hiya Thermo,

I think the one Jamies got waiting is mine and his, tell him to get it up!

I think its difficult to keep the interest with the same armies, so getting other people is really important if just for a change of style.

I think more big stuff (trolls, ents, dragons etc) would be good and keep it fresh, Gwaihir definitely put a different slant on battles for instance.

I know Jamie was talking about scenarios aswell. After playing alot of them with friends who are casual players, Id avoid then smaller ones and just go for the larger ones.

Also, something that I think could be really nice is doing a battle companies maybe once a month or so. Seeing a warband being built up from scratch and maybe even going into a larger scenario at the end (i.e a rohan warband into the battle for helms deep) would be great to film and watch.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hi there Gildor!

That's right, yours is in the queue! Jamie and I both have our strengths, but one of mine is getting the bat reps done and edited down to the same standard reasonably quickly! When he is back from Amsterdam, yours should go up!
(No spoilers ;) )

I completely agree about opponents and armies so it's great that we've already got players travelling to challenge us to video battle reports. Yourself being one! SouthernDunedain, KnightyKnight, Leonardis, Cereal_Theif, Ukfreddybear have all pledged to make the journey to be hosted so we've not only got local players like Ste, Hashut's Blessing, Louis, MoriaMadness and Charles (local-ish) but also players from the UK tournament scene AND from the forums, which is fantastic. This kind of support, buzz and interest can only be good for the hobby! There are even players from abroad who want to make the trip. Amazing!

Big fun stuff is definitely eye catching and dramatic. Expect to see more of the Eagle and Treebeard from me personally when he's painted up, just for the fun factor!

Battle companies is another thing on our list, as is a world campaign amongst other things so looking forward to getting our teeth stuck into it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Can I just say that I'm gonna be happy if content is put out, never mind whats in it! :D

However I will echo Gildor and say, perhaps not Battle Companies, (although if you consider it here is an excellent site made by one of our former Ringwraiths http://battlecompanies.wordpress.com/), but at least some kind of link between battles (narrative perhaps?, perhaps with heroes only partaking in the next battle if they survived the first, or with wounds/fate reduced, etc.
I also think it'd be cool if you guys had some custom heroes, as they always add a bit of character to a game, and seeing as they are casual I'm sure you wouldn't be too bothered.

I think the presentation format you have at the moment is brilliant anyway, probably just the right length (though I wouldn't complain if it was longer).
However, I think perhaps you could do an individual piece to the camera each just after deployment to say what your strategy is going to be throughout the game, and why you have chosen x forces. A longer analysis afterwards would be good aswell, but perhaps I'm asking too much.

Just keep going with them guys, you're doing a great job regardless. :puppy:

OERP
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A bit more Good VS Evil would certainly be nice, as has been talked about already.

Also some scenarios might be interesting, to make the battles a bit more thematic - "The Rohan are chasing down a pack of Uruk-hai which are attempting to make their way to Isengard, hence the terrain layout of XYZ" is perhaps a bit more interesting than just two armies rocking up to battle it out.

Not to criticise how the battle reports have been so far though, I've watched them all, and I'm loving it :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ill be bringing a varied bunch of forces Jimbo me ol china, but bear that in mind when Im gettin whooped that its lack of practice with the said forces, lol
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I've really enjoyed all of your bat-reps, as I've said before on my youtube handle (MavsFanatic) I wish there was a way for myself to be able to play with/against you all and just support the channel more

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Weekend Siege , you know you want to James :D , as always loving the bat reps keep them coming.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Really enjoy the battle reports guys, here's one for you:

Heroes. Heroes vs heroes or heroes vs horde or whatever. I'd be interested to see how you guys fare with all hero armies. The fellowship, the nazgul, white council, Thorin's company, etc...

Or maybe a report of one of the narrative scenarios from the sourcebooks? A narrative scenario is always going to make things more interesting and dramatic - might even make for more exciting videos if there's a narrative stake.

Essentially: more drama! Awesome moments like when halbarad saw off everything that was thrown against him in your recent video. Scenarios and heroes make those sorts of things crop up much more regularly, and it makes for great fun watching it happen.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi thermo.
The bat reps have been great but I totally agree with the above. Would be awesome to see more of the higher point heroes in on the action.
I know you like to keep the point limit to about 500 but a higher points match that features some expensive heroes will keep the model count low and keep the game time reasonable.
The last game me and doc death played was my Rohan army vs an all hero army of his. Was an 800 point game, took under two hours and was epic fun decpite me getting my ass kicked!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Definitely some story scenarios would be great. Having said that, I think you're doing a great job. However, one of the great things about the hobby in my opinion is the narrative nature of the game, and you really get a sense of that when playing some of the story scenarios.

No reason why you can't pen a few of your own, or do other fan created ones, rather than having to stick to published ones. Whatever you prefer.

Please don't bow to the pressure to produce videos with different armies, and start filming unpainted ones. One of the great things about the channel is that the scenery and models look cool!

It's always nice to see bat reps on different tables, with different scenery, but of course I realise you're limited to working with what you've got.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

mertaal wrote:
Please don't bow to the pressure to produce videos with different armies, and start filming unpainted ones. One of the great things about the channel is that the scenery and models look cool!

Yeah, this is a great point to listen to! Keep it to all-painted forces and its much better on the eye for watching and keeping interest in whats going on IMO :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Please paint up your high elves, James. They are the most underused faction in the game, and will provide loads of these epic moments that everyone else is talking about. Aside from being a high elf player myself!

Keep it up, you're all doing an amazing job so far.

LordElrond
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

How about a bit more powergaming?
Fellbeast(s), Goblin King + Moria Shaman, Azog, all Reaver + Shade armies, all Khazad Guard, Fountain Guard + Wood Elves ... that kind of stuff :-D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And please get Knighty to bring his hobbits!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Try army of thror
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

But hobbits are cool! :frodo: :sam: :merry: :pippin: 8) :gollum:
:boo: