All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 5:16 pm

Post subject: 1600 ptn Dwarfs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have a battle in my local gw, its going to be 1600 points, I play with dwarves against a combination of goblins (3 goblin captains, scribe, king and Grinnah and 72 goblins), and the rest will be Azog, hunter orcs (ft and mt) and the 3 trolls.

This is the list I made:
Herald (special event rule, cost 0 points can lead)
12 Khazad Guards

Durin
12 Khazad Guards

Dain
12 Khazad Guards

Floi (mainly for Azog, he can use his LM ability against Azog's special rule to protect my heroes or use it on his burly so he has a hugh disantvantage with is 2h wep)
12 Khazad Guards

Murin and Drar
11 Khazad Guards

Kings champion
10 Khazad Guards

Ally:
Treebeard
And had 20 points to spent so I got Merry and Pippin aswell for fun.

Anyone got some advice to make my list better?

Thanks
 Post subject: Re: 1600 ptn Dwarfs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Anyone got some advice to make my list better?

Yes, hows about a bit of variety. Using 69 Khazad Guard with no other troop types is frankly going to be a really dull army to play with or against! The dwarves have some really great troop types which can be assembled into a well balanced or even themed army. This list has no tactical flexibility and a solid core of 10 or so vault wardens, archers and Iron Guard would not go amis. Also Khazad Guard will lose a lot of fights against goblins who count as having spears or hunter orcs with two attack, and you will desperately need banners to allow them to reroll who wins the fight.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I hope that herald listed at the top isn't one of the KC's two, unless you are going to make sure that he deploys with the KC because to seperate any of those three is never a good idea.

Honestly I think this is one of the few times you should include Mardin as you will be fighting 3 trolls and he gets +1 to wound against trolls.

Im also with Bilbo on diversifying your troops (although I am impressed that you have so many Khazad Guard models), you are fighting a low defense army that a little Dwarf bow fire could quite easily devistate if you're willing to spend a few point on it.

Also I think taking Thorin and a group of Erebor Warriors would be very advantageous if you give Thorin Orcrist as he gets additional wounds against every enemy on the field save for the trolls. And if you equip the Erebor warriors with spears you could back up you khazad guard in combat, greatly increasing your chances of winning more of them against all the multiple attack enemies (either supported goblins or hunter orcs by themselves).

And finally, some vault Wardens (8-10 minimum) flanked by khazad guard so your enemies cannot get past them would be highly advantageous.

I'll PM you a strategy that has never failed me for the dwarves (as I'm undfeated with them) to see if it can help you.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Pm it to me too please ;-)

I used to be a BIG dwarf player, checkout my blog below...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

PM's sent. Obviously not sharing about the listed info will help you as you opponents will have less ability to search for weaknesses to it

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

How about Thrain? Since you are sure that he will be fielding Azog, Thrain gets to re-roll ALL his to-Wound rolls that match! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Khazad Guard are not the best , they are a good variety yes , but to have that many is blind stupidity. The reason being for is the -1 with the two handed axes , any dice rolls of a six of your enemy and he wins all the time in duel fights regardless if you have a banner nearby. I have had this happen to me a bit , with just using one warband. A good piece of advice i shall give is to play around with the new erebor dwarfs ( especially the spears ) , ( grimhammers if you are feeling suicidal :) ) this is an advantage from choosing the old standard infantry Durin folk who do not have the option for spears.
I have yet to try out iron guard and vault wardens for their effectiveness.
Finally never expect to win , this whole game has been designed so "its easy to get into but near impossible to win all the time"
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Good advise Robshaw but Khazad also have hand weapons and can choose to fight with a single or double handed weapon.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Robshaw wrote:
Khazad Guard are not the best , they are a good variety yes , but to have that many is blind stupidity. The reason being for is the -1 with the two handed axes , any dice rolls of a six of your enemy and he wins all the time in duel fights regardless if you have a banner nearby. I have had this happen to me a bit , with just using one warband. A good piece of advice i shall give is to play around with the new erebor dwarfs ( especially the spears ) , ( grimhammers if you are feeling suicidal :) ) this is an advantage from choosing the old standard infantry Durin folk who do not have the option for spears.
I have yet to try out iron guard and vault wardens for their effectiveness.
Finally never expect to win , this whole game has been designed so "its easy to get into but damn near impossible to win all the time"

Sorry dude, khazad Don't have to go two handed, they are very good against lots of forces, they have good good fight, defence and strength... I rarely use them two handed and have never lost with them.
But I agree, they are still not the best :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

JamesR - well done mate, that looks very good :-D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ah well looks like i learned something there its funny because as i was under coating my khazad guard the other day , i noticed small hand weapon axes on their belts.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sorry JamesR, but could you please send it to me too?
Thanks,
LordElrond
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Robshaw wrote:
Ah well looks like i learned something there its funny because as i was under coating my khazad guard the other day , i noticed small hand weapon axes on their belts.

Regardless the weapons a model itself is wearing it ALWAYS has a normal handweapon.

For 11 points, I find very few (Good) models as good as Khazad-Guard. To what are you guys refering?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Leonardis wrote:
JamesR - well done mate, that looks very good :-D

Thank you, I wish I was in the UK so I could use it against my fellow one ringers lol but I suppose I can vicariously by giving it to a few Dwarf players

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have never struggled to deal with a dwarf, so I'm a bit curious to know what is your trick :D