All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:38 pm

Post subject: Hobbit Scenario Ideas
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Just for fun, share any ideas you guys have had which you think would make fun scenarios! Feel free to be as detailed or brief as you like.

Just to get the ball rolling:

Rivendell Hunt
Elrond leads his knights against the hunter orcs led by Yazneg. The orcs must find Thorin and company before they are routed by the elves.

Basically there will be a number of rocky outcrops scattered around the board which are potential hiding places for Thorin's company. The orcs need to search for Thorin whilst being harassed by Elrond and his knights.

Hopefully I can get around to developing this into an actual scenario but im just brainstorming at the moment :)

Post subject: Re: Hobbit Scenario Ideas
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:09 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm guessing that Thorin and company are just an objective in this, and not able to actually fight? If they were, they could probably take the orcs themselves.

I'm sure there are many suggestions for a scenario revolving around the flashback battle (Ananzulzibar?), so I may as well make one. Thorin, Thrain, Thror, Dwalin and Balin leading warbands of Grimhammers/Erebor Dwarves vs Azog, Bolg and Captains leading Hunter Orcs/LOTR Orcs/Moria Goblins. Objective is to slay the enemy leader (Thror and Azog).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah they would just be an objective in this scenario.

Sounds good. I would be quite interested to see a book version of the battle of Azanulbizar as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:43 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This is something we're very keen to do. Whilst the scenarios in the Hobbit book are fun, they're clearly based on an early draft of the script and don't completely accurately replicate the events of the movie (goblins grabbing the dwarves in the cave, no Rivendell Knights etc.). Our group is planning on coming up with a set of scenarios that more accurately reflect the movies and have have started work on it as I've finally got around to painting the Hobbit stuff.

The first one we've been working on is the chase to Rivendell, basically a 4x4 board, Thorin's Company (minus Gandalf - as it's just after he's 'deserted' them) have to cross the board and get 50% of the company off the opposite board edge (into the secret passage) including Bilbo and Thorin. Against them are mounted Fimbul and Yazneg, 12 Hunter orcs on wargs and 6 fell wargs The orc player gets D6 models every turn that can enter from any board edge, any killed wargs or hunter orcs are placed back in the orc players reserves and can respawn as normal. Essentially limitless orcs (Fimbul and Yazneg don't regenerate obviously). The Dwarf player has to escape in a set number of turns, we're still working on what makes the most competitive sense but it's somewhere between 15 and 20. Neither side breaks.

We've played it a couple of times, it was a lot of fun, the orcs clearly can't take the dwarves but they can hold them up long enough to deny them victory.

After that I plan on having Elrond and 6 Rivendell Knights against the same number of orcs (not regenerating) representing the ambush just after the dwarves jump into the secret passage.

Tis all good fun! :-)

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would really like to have a go at the battle of Azunilbizar. I am working on a modest army of Thror but they have not released any giannt Gundabad orcs to back up Azog and Bolg, yet? For progress on painted miniatures please see: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26335&start=20
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It would be nice if we get some new orcs for the DoS to use for Azunilbizar rather than just using hunter orcs. Apparently in the upcoming film we get some more flashbacks so hopefully it will show what happened to Thrain during the battle as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Scib wrote:
It would be nice if we get some new orcs for the DoS to use for Azunilbizar rather than just using hunter orcs. Apparently in the upcoming film we get some more flashbacks so hopefully it will show what happened to Thrain during the battle as well.

I am always up for new types of grotty old orcs to use, and a decent explanation of what happened to Thrain would be great!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm going to be trying out an alternate version of scenario 2 "The Chase" to make use of the models I have at the moment.

It will be Thorin's Company (Plus/Minus Gandalf, not decided) all starting with no M/F/W to represent them being exhausted after the Troll encounter and to help make things more balanced.

The evil side will consist of 12 hunter orcs on wargs which will respawn as in the scenario rules.

The board will be narrower, 2' x 4' and I'm not going to be using Radagast for now.

Will let you guys know how it turns out and may do a battle report once I get my hunter orcs painted up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi everyone-

Here's a small scenario my brother and I played a few months back when the new azog model was released. It's our take on the film version of Battle of Azanulbizar. Enjoy!

The Battle of Azanulbizar Part 1: The Fall of Thror

During the year 2799 of the Third Age the Dwarven King Thror summoned a mighty host of his followers to retake the ancient kingdom of Moria. However, before the very gates of their ancestral home they are met by an equally mighty host of orcs lead by the seven foot monstrosity azog; the pale orc. Having little love for orcs, Thror vowed to rid the halls of these vile creatures, but unbeknownst to him Azog has sworn his own vow; to end the line of Durin once and for all…

Participants

Good

Thror
350pts from the army of Erebor /Durins Folk army list

(no other named dwarven heroes nor dwarven ballista may be chosen. In addition, no bow armed models may be chosen)

Evil

Azog (cannot take the White Warg)
300pts of Orcs (we recommend Morannon Orcs)

(no mounted models, bow armed models, monsters or named heroes may be may be chosen)

Layout

The battle takes places on a 24” x 24” board littered with a few rock piles. The gate of Moria is placed in the centre of the northern board edge.

Set up

The evil side sets up 6” from the northern board edge followed by the good side that sets up 6” from the southern board edge.

Objectives
Both players are attempting to achieve different goals. The good player must try to break the evil side making them scatter before the gates so the rest of army can move in to take Moria. Whereas, the evil player must try to end the line of Durin by slaying Thror.

The good player achieves victory by reducing the evil side by 25% of their starting numbers. In addition if Azog is slain the good side will automatically win; we assume without their mighty leader the orcs they will lose tail and flee.

The evil side will win if they slay Thror.

If both objectives are achieved in the same turn the game is a draw.

Special Rules

Full Scale Battle- the scenario focuses on a small section of the battlefield. To give a sense of scale of the armies fighting each other, at the end a players movement phase either player may move on previously slain warriors on the roll of a 4 or more. The evil player can only move on from the gate on the northern board edge. The good player may move reinforcements on from the any board edge apart from the northern side. Any warriors who fail this roll are put aside and may not renter play in subsequent turns.

The pale orc- Azog is considered to be armed with a mace that he may elect to use as a single handed weapon or a two-handed weapon (he hasn’t lost his arm just yet). In addition he may elect to bash opponents as per the special weapon rules.

One purpose- Azog is determined to end the line of Durin,to the point where he will not let anything stand in his way. To represent this, Azog may elect to use the ‘barge’ monster strike. We imagine him bowling over many dwarves to get close to his prize!

Any comments welcome :)

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:37 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sounds a good Scenario Andy, who won when you played it?

Perhaps we could open the new campaign with it next week?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Looks like a really good scenario, thanks for sharing this. I like the idea of using Morannons as well they are great models.

I tried out my "cut down" version of The Chase and it wasn't very good to be honest haha I will have to go back to the drawing board on that one!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi Paul- yeah only played through once and the victory went to the evil side. Azogs 3+ to wound is quite effective against the dwarves especially given their high defense. I used dwarf warriors and khazad guard (didnt have any grimhammers but would be interested to see how they compare).

I also had the idea for two other scenarios including - The Battle of Azanulbizar Part 2: the Wrath of Thrain and also a scenario based on Radagast being chased by bats and spiders through mirkwood on his sleigh! both are work in progress

I agree with you scrib about the chase scenario- it does need fixing, especially since it lists Azog as one of the participants- maybe an early concept for the film but I dont think we see him later in the film...be interested to see what you come up with

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah it lists Azog who wasn't there and Narzug who isn't even in the first film at all!