All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:21 pm

Post subject: [Youtube] - Battle Report - Rohan vs Woodelves
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Great British Hobbit League Youtube channel has uploaded it's first Battle Report.

If you enjoy the video be sure to leave a like and subscribe for future content.

http://youtu.be/5aR5F-X_4NI
 Post subject: Re: [Youtube] - Battle Report - Rohan vs Woodelves
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow!

It’s about time quality LOTR Batreps hit the YouTube scene!

The video banner throughout the video was a nice touch and I loved the live action dice rolls.

My only criticism is that the second camera should’ve been used throughout the game :P

Subscribed and can't wait for more :yay:

Last edited by Armandhammer on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Glad you enjoyed pal!

We didn't realise that the phone camera would be better than the main camera! Then unfortunately, the former ran out of storage!

We're looking to invest in a HD camera and tripod so expect improvements over the next few battle reports :)

Spread the word!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice job, some 20 minutes feels like a good length for a bat-rep, the combination of the images, text and spoken parts made for a clear game to (I suspect) beginner and experienced gamer alike and the game itself was interesting too.
Looking forward to next instalments!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You beat Jamie. With his beloved Wood Elves. With all mounted Rohan. At The High Ground.

*jaw drops*

Massive cudos Thermo, that's a hell of a win! :yay:

Can't quite believe that, like you say the key was engaging quickly to prevent the horrible archery taking its toll. I must say I winced when you blew all Erkenbrand's Might on that resist roll but I guess it worked out well for you in the end!

That should stand you in good stead for the Preston tourney, it wouldn't surprise me to see two at least 2 clones of that Wood Elf army turn up.

Great job on the battle report guys, I'm not usually a fan of watching games on Youtube but you made it really engaging. I think 20 mins is a really good length to hold your attention, wouldn't want to go much longer than that. The info banners at the bottom were a really good idea and prevent the game getting bogged down in exposition.

Really enjoyed it chaps - bravo!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks guys, all this feedback is really encouraging.

It's something both Jamie and I really want to work on and make even better so more subscribers and audience is key. We want to invest in better filming equipment and make the process slicker so everyone's help in getting other wargamers, not just SBG players, to subscribe and support would be appreciated.

We also liked the length of the video and think a 10-15 minute limit per 250 points is a good way to go. We do want to cover more of the turn through a wide angled shot, potentially with a voiceover describing what's happening whilst coming back to the banter style for key rolls and moments like we did in this report.

@Dr Grant - Thanks for the kudos pal! As you can tell at the start AND the finish of the game, it was not the expected result, which in turn made for a good watch I suppose!

As I was explaining to Jamie when dropping him off at the station, I'm not in this to be super competitive but what I do enjoy is trying to make a force that others say doesn't work or is difficult to make work, work.

I love the theme so I'm glad I've put the time into it and I've learned something from every game. If I hadn't had the draw with Louis last Saturday, I wouldn't have been so aggressive in this game and thus had a different result so it's all learning!

As you could see from the footage, both of us were wincing at the Erkenbrand blowing all his might moment, but it forced the stormcaller into the centre to do the job, which I guess gave me the chance to stay on horseback on the left flank. Seemed like a key thing to do at such an early point in the game.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone and get posting the batrep link to other wargamers as we need everyone's support!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thermo wrote:
...so everyone's help in getting other wargamers, not just SBG players, to subscribe and support would be appreciated.

Yes!

I hope the uploader attached some generic tags along with the video: wargames, Tabletop, Games workshop, Rohan, Elves, miniatures…

Plus, with the Hobbit movies on everyone’s minds, I’d also recommend filming some BatReps with Hobbit miniatures.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Great quality battle report, thanks for taking the time to upload this I really enjoyed watching it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Glad you enjoyed! We want to make them even better so spread the link to other hobbyists and war gamers, especially those you want to get into SBG!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thoroughly enjoyed that, well done! Good to see more video batreps for sbg! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very enjoyable break from studying keep up the good work guys!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks everyone! The next video battle report, after a few uploading issues, should be going up on the channel within the next 30 minutes, fingers crossed!

If you're subscribed, you'll receive an email telling you when we've uploaded new content :)