All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:39 pm

Post subject: The Battle of Azanulbizar: complex scenario
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello everyone,
Here is my rendition of this battle. I really wanted to make a scenario that goes beyond the typical, "Hold Ground" games; something that would make for innovative strategies and an overall new experience. It is primarily based on the film and is designed for one player! So, here goes.

*Disclaimer: I have not yet tested this scenario due to time constraints. I'm open to feedback and suggestions on making it a better game.

Good Participants:
-Thorin
-Dwalin
-Balin
-40 Grimhammers

Evil Participants:
-Azog
-Bolg
-40 Gundabad Orcs

Layout:
This battle is played out on a 12x12 map that should include a slightly raised central hill. Place the oakenshield at the base of the plateau on the side closest to the evil setup.

Setup:
Deploy the dwarves within 6" of your board edge. Do likewise with the orcs, keeping Bolg in the center of the group and Azog near the rear.

Objectives:
Victory: The dwarves win if they manage to "slay" Azog, in which case he is considered injured and squirms away.

Defeat: The dwarves lose if at any point
a) Thorin is slain
b) There are less than 8 dwarves left on the battlefield

Special Rules:

Battle Favour:
The battle will shift as the forces strive to gain control. Keep a measurement at the side of the board as well as a marker (starting at 6") to keep track of the battle's tide.

At the end of every round, count the number of models slain on each side. Take the evil side's total number of casualties and subtract it by the good side's casualties. Move the marker 1/2" forward for every positive number or a 1/2" backward for every positive number.
Ex) Total orcs killed = 4
Total dwarves killed = 1
Move the marker forward 1 + 1/2"

*Killing a hero counts as 3 for the purpose of battle favour.

Reinforcements:
At the end of every round, each side will gain reinforcements. The side with the most battle favour will return d3 casualties to any board edge within their control (control: the area which is behind the battle favour marker).
The side with the least battle favour will regain d3-1 casualties (to a minimum of 1) to any board edge within their control.
In the case of choosing re-spawn point for the evil side, choose the farthest board edge from their original edge.
If at any point there is not enough room for reinforcements, those models may not enter play.
The force is broken rules in not applied during this scenario.
This simulates the effect of the surrounding battle on this focus point.

The evil move:
Priority will automatically be given to the good side on the first turn. From that point on, priority will switch from evil to good for the remainder of the game.
During the evil move phase, each evil model must attempt to charge the closest good model. In the case of Azog and Bolg, they will behave similarly, but attempt to charge a dwarf hero if possible.

Azog the Defiler:
Once Azog takes his first wound, his attack value is reduced to 4. The good side will now have priority for the duration of the game.

Momentum:
Thorin's exploits on the battlefield inspire his allies and demoralize his foes. Thorin gains the following special rules once he has accomplished each challenge:
-5 kills: Terror
-Moves in base contact with the oakenshield: The oakenshield
-Slays Bolg: + 1 Attack, +1 Courage, +1 Strength

Profile Changes:
These units have the following profiles:

Azog: F9, S5, D5, A7, W3, C7, 0M/0W/0F
Bolg: F8, S5, D7, A5, W3, C7, 0M/0W/0F
Balin: +1A
Gundabad Orc: F3, S5, D5, A1, W1, C2
-Hand weapon
-Shield

Thanks for reading this... I hope it works :wink:

Last edited by LeadTheRise on Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: uRe: The Battle of Azanulbizar: complex scenario
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Why no Thror and Train?
 Post subject: Re: The Battle of Azanulbizar: complex scenario
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

*Thrain
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:08 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

There is no way azog and bolg can have 12 attacks at fv9/8 between them. They'll wipe out the dwarves singlehanded.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:58 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

why would you only use grimhammer and gundabad orcs? Why not other warriors?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like the idea of the scenario but there's a few obvious problems that jump out!

I have to agree with Southy here, why change the profiles for Azog and Bolg? They're more than capable of taking on the dwarf heroes as it is and the way you've modified them makes them all but unstoppable. As far as I can remember 3 is the maximum attacks ANY human/orc sized model in the game has and I think the maximum a monster has is 6. A Fight 9, 7 attack orc is crazy!

Also, by a 12 x 12 map I presume you mean 12 foot by 12 foot? Not only is that incredibly impractical to actually set up (I can just about manage a 6x4 area at my place and anyone who can fit an 8x4 would consider it a luxury) but you'll barely be able to reach the models once they get to the central hill! Also, the fact that they'll start 11 feet apart means you're going to have about 10 turns where the armies just walk towards each other which will be incredibly dull, particulary given the complete lack of missile troops. It's also far too big a table for the number of models, with just over 40 models on each side there's absolutely no need for a space anywhere near that big.

If you use the standard profiles and play it on a 4x4 table then I think this could work well, although you should definitely include Thror and Thrain.

Just my 2 cents, feel free to ignore as you wish!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm inclined to agree with all my above posters. 12-foot square is WAY to big a table for this small a battle, plus the reinforcements would be worthless as they would take forever to reach the center of the board.

I also think Thror, Thrain, Fimbul, and Yazneg should be present in your lists s as they were all there.
If you are going to give priority to evil you should make a rule that once Azog is wounded Good siezes the iniative and has priority from there out

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ditto with the above guys, Bringing slow moving dwarf reinforcements across vast distances sounds beyond tedious! I honestly think back to the drawing board with this one!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

To clear things up:

The battle is 12x12 inches. It is supposed to be small to represent a very tiny, enclosed space where Thorin must inevitably stand up against Azog. Because of this scope, there are few heroes involved as I wanted to focus on a very narrow part of the battle. And who ever thinks of playing on a 12x12 inch field? The close quarters situation will make for a very different style of play. It should be chaos. I think it is pretty innovative and will make for a very intense fight.

The reason that I made Azog and Bolg so strong is because the evil team plays on artificial intelligence. They must charge the nearest enemies and they have no M/W/F to make tactical moves. The player needs to rethink their strategy in order to get around the massive stats of the enemy. Also, because Azog starts in the rear, he may take a few turns to reach the front of the battle, at which point, Bolg may be slain by the three dwarf heroes, and Thorin may have a chance to "build" himself up.

Yes, it may seem in favour of evil but I like evil more than good :-D . The game is almost designed for good to lose so that it may be played over again with the player trying to get around pitfalls of their last loss. This makes it so that the game is less boring and more of a personal challenge.

Although Bolg and Azog would be extremely powerful in a normal game, I'm trying to get this scenario to mimic the flow of the movie, hence why they seem "unstoppable".

That being said, I do realize that anyone that loses a fight against Azog is almost automatically dead due to his special rule. I will think of something to change that but I have a paper due soon so any suggestions are welcome.

I like JameR's rule about priority going to good after Azog is wounded. I'll throw that into the rules.

As for other models involved, unless I'm mistaken all I saw were grimhammers and gundabad orcs. Feel free to change this scenario to your liking.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

While interesting in size, I think so many models in so little space won't be as much fun as you might presume. It's pretty much kill or be killed in such a cramped space, and I don't see how any tactics would be involved other than the occasional heroic fight. BUT, I am interested in an actual battle report about this, so someone get to it! ;)