All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:30 am

Post subject: Grey Company 500pts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thinking of starting a Grey Company army.
My proposed list:

Arathorn
12 Rangers (6 Spears)

Halbarad
12 Rangers (6 Spears)

6 Rangers of the North (6 Spears)

500pts

Opinions on the list would be welcome.
I assume the tactic is just to start 24" away, move back 3" whilst firing bows and when the enemy comes into charge range, use the RotN's might point to gain favorable combats.
Is this correct, or have I missed the point?

Cheers,
BR
 Post subject: Re: Grey Company 500pts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would really advise against a grey company army, a traditional Arnor force of Warriors of Arnor with 1/3 rangers is far more fun to play, and is extremely effective. If you are going to play Grey Company then definitely invest in both Malbeth and Arathorn.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As for C&C, that's the standard GC 500pts list.

Never ever let your army get near and cavalry, particularly RoR, who will outshoot you with their higher defence and itw on horse roll and also komt or skoda, as their lances will be the end of you.

Also, retreating back 3" is not a good idea, as they then have 4+ shooting, which, with an s2 bow, is pretty ineffective.

Also, always keep out of line o sight of xbows, as they kill your average ranger on a 4 and a hero on a 5. They too are deadly, and make shure you call a heroic shoot whenever you come up against them.

Because of these 2 weaknesses, the grey company work best in an army with solid front line troops to hide behind, of which warriors of arnor with arvedui and Malbeth are maybe the best for their pts in the game
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I would really advise against a grey company army, a traditional Arnor force of Warriors of Arnor with 1/3 rangers is far more fun to play, and is extremely effective. If you are going to play Grey Company then definitely invest in both Malbeth and Arathorn.

I agree with SuicidalMarsbar... Love the theme and have the exact force you have listed as my first complete Sbg army, but I don't think you can truly love or appreciate the game with a grey company list. Sitting back and shooting isn't fun for anyone after a few games!

Definitely getting warriors on Arnor in on the act is a good way to go. Malbeth is decent and the Twins are at higher points value.

But if you like the theme, go for it! I did, but nowhere near as fun as other lists I've played with (rohan, high elves, mirkwood elves, all monster, Arnor)