All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 6:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thermo's 500pt All Cavalry Rohan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:40 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Preston Tournament

There you go buddy, a link to the event on facebook. Still waiting for the rules pack though.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
RRG with an axe and possibly a head swap would look good.

Dr Grant wrote:
The King's Huntsman would be another good donor head.

Thermo wrote:
To be honest, Eorl the Young on foot with a head swap and axe instead of spear would be most perfect, considering the armour.

Great suggestions, thanks!

(put the quotes together for other users 8) )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:27 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

To be fair; Hama, gamling or even grimbold would work with head & weapon swaps. Could also use dunlending warriors but they'd need a bit more work.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

All good suggestions...

Anyone recollect anyone on the forum doing this and having examples of the conversion?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hmmm after playing Hashut a little tonight and discussing a few things, we pondered an alternative list to one I have built and I wondered which you guys thought would work best and why...

List A (The one from the opening post)

W1 - Eomer, KotP (armoured horse)
1 x Son of Eorl
1 x Mounted RRG (TS)
8 x Riders of Rohan (or Westfold Redshields)

W2 - Erkenbrand (horse)
1 x Son of Eorl
1 x Mounted RRG (TS)
5 x Riders of Rohan
3 x Outriders (Mounted)

The above list has 16 shots per shooting phase, 3 at a better shooting value. It has 22 models (breaking point of 11) and 49 attacks on the charge...

However... thoughts on the below?

4 x Son of Eorl
4 x Mounted RRG
2 x Riders of Rohan

W2 - Erkenbrand (horse)
5 x Riders of Rohan
4 x Outriders (Mounted)

Now this list has one less model (although breaks at the same point (11) and no option to upgrade to Westfold Redshields or to take Throwing Spears for the RRG like list A does...

It also has 5 less shots during the shooting phase, although an extra shot at the higher shooting value. Both lists have 49 attacks if all models were in charge at the same time...

However, for that one less model, we now have double the number of Son of Eorls and therefore, an extra two models with higher fight, defence, attacks, extra 2 inch movement, armoured horse as well as an extra two RRG which again is more models at higher fight, defence, courage... which also allow for the extra outrider.

Which list do you prefer and why?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thermo wrote:
List A (The one from the opening post)

1 x Son of Eorl
1 x Mounted RRG (TS)
8 x Riders of Rohan (or Westfold Redshields)

W2 - Erkenbrand (horse)
1 x Son of Eorl
1 x Mounted RRG (TS)
5 x Riders of Rohan
3 x Outriders (Mounted)

Sorry for the noobie question…

...BUT why is list A legal?

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Ignore heroes and RoR.

That leaves 2 x sons of eorl, 2 x mounted rohan royal guard and 3 x rohan outriders: 7 “warrior” models

7/3 = 2.3

Doesn't that mean list A is ILLEGAL because it should only have 2 outriders with bows and not 3? :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It's a reasonable question but the bow limit is worked out by rounding up.

As you say 7/3 = 2.3

You then round 2.3 up to 3 so are allowed 3 models with bows. The perfect numbers of models to have is 1 more than a number divisible by 3 as it allows you to squeeze in an extra bow shot.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dr Grant wrote:
You then round 2.3 up to 3

2.3 rounded… up?

Goodness we've been playing: #.5, .6, .7, .8, .9 is rounded up (Isn't that how you usually round up? haha).

Now that I think about it there’s no mention of rounding down… :?

It’s too bad the example in the sourcebook follows my train of thought (35/3=11.6).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:45 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Im liking that army alot but I think Gamling on horse with banner would benefit your rohan heroes more, least as a counter measure for draining nazguls and such.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Armandhammer wrote:
Goodness we've been playing: #.5, .6, .7, .8, .9 is rounded up (Isn't that how you usually round up? haha).

Yep, that's how everyone's been taught to round up since primary school but not how GW do it! :?

The wording on page 5 of the sourcebook says 'rounding up' I guess they did that just to make it cleaner, simpler etc.

@Galanur - I'm not sure Gamling will be that effective at this points level, his banner rule is nice (and of course he has the added benefit of your banner being carried by a hero) but I presume you're swapping him in for Erkenbrand which I can't see being useful. Erkenbrand is one of the most cost effective heroes in the game and gives the whole army a massive boost. Gamling's banner really comes into its own in larger battles where there are a lot of Rohan heroes about to benefit from it, the fact that you only get a Might back if you're on 0 makes it very situational, you can't benefit from it until quite late in the game. Finally, perhaps the worst problem is that Gamling (your second hero) then suffers a -1 in Duels making him far less effective which I don't think is a good trade at that points level. For me it would be mini-Eomer, Erkenbrand and Eowyn or Captain in an all mounted 500 point army.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

you can get hama on horse, hes a captain basically although he would benefit more with theoden there.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Any more thoughts on a the comparison between list A and list B?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:31 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Dr Grant wrote:
Armandhammer wrote:

Yep, that's how everyone's been taught to round up since primary school but not how GW do it! :?

No, that's normal rounding. If they just said to round it, that's what you'd do. But if someone says round up, then 2.0000001 = 3, and if someone says to round down, then 2.9999999 = 2
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thermo wrote:
Any more thoughts on a the comparison between list A and list B?

Anyone?!

Just because I'm working out what else I need to purchase and paint up for this tournament?

If I go for list A, I need 3 Outrider models foot and mounted, 2 x RRG on foot and 2 x models that will proxy for Sons of Eorl on foot.

If I go for list B, I need 4 outrider models foot and mounted, 4 x RRG on foot and 1 more mounted and still 2 x models that will proxy for SoE.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'd go for the second list, the D6 of the Royal Guard will be invaluable against S3 (primarily elf shooting and most combats) and the extra punch of the sons of Eorl will really help you. Their 2 attacks will also mean you have a fighting chance when you inevitably get charged, finally you get an extra outrider which should help your shooting. I wouldn't worry about dropping the 5 ROR shots as 5+ (because you'll move) S2 shooting is rarely effective against most armies.

Finally, I would consider giving as many Throwing Spears as possible to your viable models (11) although this might be limited by the models you have. Throwing spears will make up for the lack of bows and pack that extra punch at S3, they also have an 8" range so allow you to sit out of infantry charge range and pelt the enemy. A lot of people don't like Throwing weapons but remember, if you paid the 22 points then against most armies you'll only need to kill 2 or 3 with them throughout the whole game to make their points back - personally I think they're more than worth it.

You'll obviously have to drop a model to afford them, I'd probably drop 1 Royal Guard to buy you 9 TS.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Grant wrote:
I'd go for the second list, the D6 of the Royal Guard will be invaluable against S3 (primarily elf shooting and most combats) and the extra punch of the sons of Eorl will really help you. Their 2 attacks will also mean you have a fighting chance when you inevitably get charged, finally you get an extra outrider which should help your shooting. I wouldn't worry about dropping the 5 ROR shots as 5+ (because you'll move) S2 shooting is rarely effective against most armies.

Finally, I would consider giving as many Throwing Spears as possible to your viable models (11) although this might be limited by the models you have. Throwing spears will make up for the lack of bows and pack that extra punch at S3, they also have an 8" range so allow you to sit out of infantry charge range and pelt the enemy. A lot of people don't like Throwing weapons but remember, if you paid the 22 points then against most armies you'll only need to kill 2 or 3 with them throughout the whole game to make their points back - personally I think they're more than worth it.

You'll obviously have to drop a model to afford them, I'd probably drop 1 Royal Guard to buy you 9 TS.

All very good advice, thanks for getting back to me pal. Having played the first list a few times, I can see how the second list improves upon it. Two sons of eorl seem to always become target priority so getting them into combat is tough. Having four gives them a chance. Agree regarding the D6 increase... effectively an extra four models at higher defence on the second list.

Yup, losing 5 x 5+ shots from the moving rohirrim seems to be worthy of sacrificing, especially for the single added Outrider firing at 3+ (or 4+ moving) I find that because it's impossible (nor sensible) to get an all cavalry army into combat in one go, it's good to keep guys back for the shooting and counter. And as you say, 5+, str2 doesn't end up being too effective anyway.

Throwing spears are interesting as never really done too much in games I've play tested them, mainly because the minus 1 to shooting value for moving/charging and firing them.

Although it involves buying/trading a few more models, I think I'm keener for the second list myself. Plus, enjoyed painting the Son of Eorl models no end so another two and I can't complain.

If anyone comes across 2 x Sons of Eorl, Rohan Captains holding Orc, Eorl the Young on foot, King's Huntsmen, 1 x RRG mounted, 4 x RRG on foot and 4 x Outriders foot and mounted, let me know!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Agreed, I'd prefer list B too.
Cavalry generally needs quality to perform well, as the base sizes mean you'll be up against many models and won't be able to get into the action with many yourself.
Sons of Eorl will stand a chance against many things even if they didn't get to charge, and must be lethal when charging. Similarily, Royal Guard have that essential F4 and a higher D to last longer, and with D6 many opponents will choose to hurt the horse instead - a bad thing, but usually leaving you with a still rather capable guy on foot.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Also dont forget sons on eorl pocess something most dont, its a minor advantage compared to other models that has nothing to do with their profile (heavy armoured horses) dont seems much diference but vs S2, S4 and S6 those horses comes handy, so those annoying orc bows, uruk crossbows will be less effective vs either horse or rider if they move and shoot needing 6s on both (in case on bow, 5+ vs crossbow) increasing the survivabilities of the horse not to led your soldiers tangled on foot during to move to the charge and eventually in melee if you face oponents like uruk hai or uruk captains meaning they dont need 3+ or 4+ to kill the horse to effectively reduce your fighting prowess, they actually need pretty high standarts on dice to wound the beast which I think its pretty important to keep the horse alive as much you can.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Indeedy, thanks for the input guys!

Just shows how important play testing is - thinking up a decent list, seeing how it gets on, where it's strength and weaknesses are and how you can improve on it. Glad you all agree with the updated second list!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't listen to Dr. Grant he is subhuman scum, if you have spare points then upgrade the riders into Westfold Redshields, that upgrade is far more worthwhile.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next