All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:24 pm

Post subject: Best army ever
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wanna make a 500pt list comprised of mainly dwarves. I'd like it to be competitive and fun so keep that in mind when critiquing . Anyway here we go:

List 1

Gimli
10 Khazad Guards

Dwarf Shieldbearer
10 dwarf warriors (5 shields, 5 bows)

Dwarf Shieldbearer
10 dwarf warriors (5 shields, 5 bows)

33 models is pretty good, 5 might is not great but the two shieldbearers can bodyguard each other then catapult themselves into more combats.

Then there is:

List 2

Gimli
8 Khazads
4 dwarf bowmen

Legolas with everything but a horse
8 Wood Elf warriors with spear
3 wood elf archers
1 sentinel

Young Bilbo with sting/Nori on pony

Only 27, but Bilbo can work his magic on enemy heroes, and everyone knows Legolas and Gimli are great

Last but not least:

List 3

Kings Champ
8 Khazad Guard

Young Balin
8 dwarf spears

Dwarf Shieldbearer
4 Khazad Guard
2 Iron Guard
4 dwarf bowmen

This one is kind of a mix between the first two, and right now I am thinking it is the best one.

Either way let me know what you think everyone, along with any suggestion on what to do :)
 Post subject: Re: Best army ever
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:27 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I like the third list, but I'm a purist. Khazad Guard do pair well with the Kings Champion. I'd swap the Dwarf Bowmen for rangers with DLB so they can better counter enemy fire. I'm also not the fan of the Shield bearer, never had much success with them. I like Dwalin paired with the KC they just pair well

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't like dwarf bowmen or Ranger w/ bow as they are very expensive and not efficient. I'm gonna try a 500 pts list in the morning.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't bash dwarf archers, highest defence archers in the game and they have str 3 bows :)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Don't bash dwarf archers, highest defence archers in the game and they have str 3 bows :)

Totally agree, their only real weakness is, of course, their range. Rangers have that prob fixed and still have great D

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:59 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

From a competitive angle I'd go for the first list but personally I like the second list. I like having different races allied together and it has a nice BOFA feel to it + Legolas is an absolute beast particularly at low points levels.

Must ask though, why Nori on a pony? He's pretty much the worst of the dwarfs, why not go for Oin, Ori or Bombur, or even Dori if you're taking Bilbo (at the lower end of the Dwarf company points) who can give your army some nice buffs?

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I will try to defend my point. In my lists either I stack bow to the max either I don't take any. Thus either I use them to bend my opponent to play under my rules with them or I rush through bow fire using terrain, heroic marches, high def minis. Dwarf bowmen can be outranged and thus can't really put pressure onto you opponent. If you fancy rangers, a 10pts S2 24" bow is way overpriced imo. That's 20% more than regular human rangers. Dwarves are very difficult to play at 500pts you can only get 2 warbands or low might (cheap but good heroes like the shieldbearer) and few iron guards.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:02 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Manadar wrote:
I will try to defend my point. In my lists either I stack bow to the max either I don't take any. Thus either I use them to bend my opponent to play under my rules with them or I rush through bow fire using terrain, heroic marches, high def minis. Dwarf bowmen can be outranged and thus can't really put pressure onto you opponent. If you fancy rangers, a 10pts S2 24" bow is way overpriced imo. That's 20% more than regular human rangers. Dwarves are very difficult to play at 500pts you can only get 2 warbands or low might (cheap but good heroes like the shieldbearer) and few iron guards.

Those are all valid points. I actually have never had difficulty with Dwarves even in small points battles. For myself I have no problem using rangers as they do have the 3+ shoot and help negate the greatest weakness of the dwarves. The original Balin and Gimli work great in battles of that size.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Manadar wrote:

The main counter argument I have to you is that with the new warbands scenarios, you almost always deploy right next to your enemy, and thus you only have 1 or 2 turns of shooting and range is never an issue, hence why I think dwarf warriors with bow are better than the rangers because they can lay down some heavy fire in turn 1 or two then rush in to fighting with a hench defence 6.