All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:33 am

Post subject: Wild Warg Chieftain
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Just a quick question is he a good miniature?
 Post subject: Re: Wild Warg Chieftain
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You might not find much to read about him because up until recently the Spider Queen was 75 points, in all the same army lists as the Wild Warg Chieftain and was far better, and thus everyone just used her instead at every interval. However now that she is a 115pt unique hero who cannot lead troops the Warg Chief is a more viable option.

I personally like having a combat hero with enough will/wounds to withstand a round of combat or two being harassed by immobilise, but having only 1 might (and whose heroics/stand fasts will only affect wargs) is pretty weak. Take him if you have enough might in the form of Groblog/Durburz/other 3 might heroes.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, since i´m using grinnah and the great goblin (both 3 might) he may be a good option.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would recommend using a Moria shaman alongside those two as well, that way The Great goblins fatal flaw, courage, gets balanced out :)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I would recommend using a Moria shaman alongside those two as well, that way The Great goblins fatal flaw, courage, gets balanced out :)

... and he's made near invincible isn't he? He'd have a5+/6 fury save, then his 3+ save, then fate

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That`s brilliant! I´ve conveted a goblin to a shaman today!(before reading that with the shaman)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
SuicidalMarsbar wrote:

... and he's made near invincible isn't he? He'd have a5+/6 fury save, then his 3+ save, then fate

Defence 5 on a 120pt model makes him really vulnerable, bigger base size also means if he does lose a fight, there can be way more rolls to wound him than normal. Both of the above generally balance out the 3+ save.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
JamesR wrote:
SuicidalMarsbar wrote:

Defence 5 on a 120pt model makes him really vulnerable, bigger base size also means if he does lose a fight, there can be way more rolls to wound him than normal. Both of the above generally balance out the 3+ save.

Yeah in case you assume every warrior has Piercing Strike. I fought him plenty of times and he's kind of invincible. I heard someone killing him once, needing 24 dices (he was surrounded by A LOT of Moria Goblins).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well I regret bringing up the Great Goblin, as I don't want Hill Trolls thread to become about something else. If y'all wanna call him a broken model maybe we should start another thread, and stop talking about it here?

Back to the wild warg chief, keep in mind he cannot use monster strikes unlike every other str 6 model in the game. Nevertheless I always liked him for his toughness, speed, and ability to take care of almost any sort of infantry. Also if you field him alongside the great goblin, your opponents will pee their pants and focus everything on him, so having a secondary brawler is a good shout :)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don´t mind talking about the great goblin :)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As people have said, he can be good or bad. The way I see it he is there to fill in when you want something specific. You can use him with Druzhags enrage beast which can be handy with the wargs fate point and Druzhags bestial fury - so you are looking at a 50% chance to save the wound then having the option to use a fate point. If you need to pick off a high D hero, like a wraith or dwarf, this is a solid option.

Given his high movement he can get places your opponent doesn't want him very quickly which can put a spanner in the works. He is basically comparable with a cave troll - very much the same stats except he trades an attack for M/W/F.

The best way I see of using him is to pick off spellcasters - typically he will win the fight because they have low attacks and he has enough will to resist their spells.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:00 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hodush wrote:
The best way I see of using him is to pick off spellcasters - typically he will win the fight because they have low attacks and he has enough will to resist their spells.

That's a really good idea I hadn't personally thought of that one. He is definitely fast enough to out-maneuver enemies. Leading a pack of wargs could be an effective head-hunter group of utilized properly

MiniWargaming