All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:18 am

Post subject: 2000ish point dwarf army help for a forum n00b
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:47 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have about 2200 points of dwarves in my collection and I would like help making the best 2000, 1000, and 500 point armies out of them. I have:Gimli, Durin, Mardin, Balin(the old one), Dwarf king, Thorin's company, 3 iron guard, 11 khazad guard, 2 vault warden teams, 12 warriors of Erebor(6 w/spear and shield, 6 w/shield), 12 Grimhammers,a banner bearer, 4 Dwarf warriors w/bows , about 6 dwarf warriors w/2 handed weapons, and about 5 w/shields.

Post subject: Re: 2000ish point dwarf army help for a forum n00b
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hello,

500 points':
12 dwarf warriors with shields and spears

gimli
2 iron guards
3 kuazad guards

balin+durin's axe
1 iron guard
4 kuazad guards

This looks like a good list to what you have.
i think you should drop some erebor troops and drop some shields/spears.

Bolg
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I've made two lists, 500 and 1000 points. I dont think you have enough troops (non-heroes) for an effective 2000 point list. Really even in these smaller points lists I think you need more basic troops (Dwarf Warriors, Rangers, Etc.)
500 Points

Warband 1
Balin, son of Fundin w Druin's Axe (Army Leader)
4x Khazad Guard
6x Dwarf Warriors w shields
2x Iron Guard

Warband 2
Dwalin
12x Warriors of Erebor (6 w spear all with shields)

Warband 3
Dwarf King

1000 Points

Warband 1
Durin, King of Khazad-dum (Army Leader)
8x Khazad Guard
2x Vault Warden Teams

Warband 2
Gimli, son of Gloin
3x Iron Guard
5x Dwarf Warriors w Shields
3x Dwarf Warrior w 2-h axes
Dwarf Warrior with Banner

Warband 3
Dwalin
12 Warriors of Erebor (6 with Spear, all 12 with shields)

Warband 4 (Thorin's Company)
Thorin Oakenshield w Orcrist and Oakenshield
Oin
Bombur
Dori

Warband 5
Balin, son of Fundin
1x Dwarf Warrior

I know you have the Grim Hammers, I just can't bring myself to put them in a list, they just are not worth their points (now if you wanted to field them as Khazad Guard we'd be in business). Also you can of course change up warbands 1,2, and 5 I have just listed them as such for ease of point calculation. I would again recommend building your basic troop base for point battles of even this size, you really need more Dwarf Warriors and some Dwarf Rangers to maximize effectiveness.

For recommended Heroes to get, The King's Champion is a must! Absolute beast and comes with 2 banners! Also a Dwarf Captain or two would be good. I always recommend Murin & Drar, I have more success with them than almost any other Dwarf heroes.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok, as far as I am concerned, here is how dwarf armies work:

Use all your khazad guards in every army, make that a priority, the same goes for your vault wardens and iron guard, elite dwarf warriors are incredibly effective for their points and are the backbone of the army. Convert all your dwarf warriors with 2h weapon to have spears, you can buy bags of 40 spears for like £4 from places like gripping beast, and the conversion is very easy to do. Then I would reccomend allying in 12 dwarves with spears from Erebor. All 3 of the erebor heroes you have (Thorin, Dwalin, Balin) are very effective for their points, Thorin and Dwalin especially. A dwarf army can afford to have all of it's heroes be big heroes that cost 85 points upwards. Do not forget about your bows by the way, dwarf archers have the highest defence, strong bows, and a decent shoot value, all for only 9 points, I rate them very highly.

In terms of heroes that are not from erebor; never use a dwarf king when you could use Balin, for the same points you get someone with more might and equipment, and then Durin's axe is also really nice. Then when it comes down to Mardin vs dwarf king, the dwarf king has more fight value and will, so is better at leading a force and fighting/resisting spells, whereas Mardin has more might, and is thus a bit of a 'backseat' hero.

Gimli and Balin are both total steals for their points, I personally really like Durin, he has a horn and causes terror, and defence 9 is not to be laughed at, neither is his axe, or his save. That said 1 fate is a bit pants.

If you actually plan on playing 1500-2000 point games, get hold of Floi, all the dwarf heroes you own (except Balin) are very fighty, and considering the amount of dirty special rules evil models have *cough cough* Shades *cough cough*, he can come in very handy.

I hope this helped.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks all. I plan on using my Grim Hammers as Khazad Guard and my friend and I use warriors of Erebor As regular dwarf warriors who can get spears. I mostly face Men of both allegiances, good and evil. I am looking for the most OP list I can get. I also have Gamdalf Radaghast and some high elves. :gimli: