It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:25 am

Post subject: 1200 Harad + Agmar allies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Warband 1:
Golden King
11 serpent guard
1 harad warrior with war horn and abrakian upgrade (extra courage)

Warband 2:
Harad Chieften + bow and spear
12 Watchers of Karna with bows

Warband 3:
Harad King on horse with war spear
6 Serpent Riders

Warband 4:
Hasharin
10 Abrakian guard
1 harad warrior with banner

Warband 5:
Betrayer on horse

Warband 6:
Shade
1 spectre

Warband 7:
Gulavhar, Terror of Arnor

1200 pts on the nose.
 Post subject: Re: 1200 Harad + Agmar allies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've noticed you have 1might per 100points there
do you own all these models?
Are you intending to play with this army?

I advise you mix up your unit amongst different warbands, I know it makes it easier to keep track of which units are doing what, however having a warband of spearmen is a bad tactical move, spread them so their always supporting someone better, like your watchers or even better your abrakaan guard.
See if the scenario has your units scattered around the board your warbands need to be self sufficient to avoid being targeted by powerful enemies.

If I were you I would swap the harad chieftain for a taskmaster, If you don't said model It's an easy enough conversion with a bit of electric wire, leather cord of even greenstuff to make a whip

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

good list, but just put some man in the warband of the betrayer and make some watchaers of karna warrior with spears and bows.

I Always have my daubts at gulavar, but that's personal i gues.

Bolg
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Eh another evil army that is basically a list that is 100pts lower than the limit with a shade tacked on just to make up for the shortcomings of the troops :/

Regardless of that, serpent guard are pretty poor infantory, harad spears and watchers/reavers/abrakan guard are more effective.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Regardless of that, serpent guard are pretty poor infantory, harad spears and watchers/reavers/abrakan guard are more effective.

Serpent Guard are the ultimate spear-support for Abrakhan Guard. It gives them the opportunity to feint without any loss of Fight value, making their Burly 2h even deadlier.

Also their Poisonend weapons works even while giving spear support.
Worth that extra point (Warrior with spear -> Guard) imo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:31 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

cheers for the feedback guys - will attempt to answer some questions:

Quote:
I've noticed you have 1might per 100points there
do you own all these models?
Are you intending to play with this army?

1 might per 100pts is purely coincidental, I do own all the models in that list and fully intend to play with the army on a regular basis (mostly against isengard but elves, angmar, easterlings and rohan make a showing now and again.)

Quote:
I advise you mix up your unit amongst different warbands,

yup was thinking that, this at least just made it easier to work out points/what models where being used. Will think on how to re-arrange the units.

Quote:
If I were you I would swap the harad chieftain for a taskmaster

yup agree again, like the idea of a taskmaster only problem was did not own one - though might try my hand at converting one.

Quote:
make some watchaers of karna warrior with spears and bows.

Why? from my experience watchers of karna are significantly better then warriors with spears and bows! better shoot value, more attacks base, better fight value, better courage vs terror, resistant to magic all for 2pt more then a warrior with spear and bow.

Quote:
I Always have my daubts at gulavar, but that's personal i gues.

yeah on paper he seemed a bit meh, tried him out and he performed very well indeed - like most big monsters bit of a finesse piece you need to be careful with but in the right place can cause havok.

Quote:
Eh another evil army that is basically a list that is 100pts lower than the limit with a shade tacked on just to make up for the shortcomings of the troops :/

the only shortcoming my troops have is low defence, beyond that all fight value 4, plenty of attacks (And supporting attacks) burly two handed weapons, poison ahoy and banners - they pretty much hold their own in most games without the aid of a shade.

Quote:
Serpent Guard are the ultimate spear-support for Abrakhan Guard. It gives them the opportunity to feint without any loss of Fight value, making their Burly 2h even deadlier.

agree, being fight value 4 with poison even in support is decent for 1pt. (doubly so since the betrayer might be around to boost the poison some more.) Serpent guard definetly have their place - in fact sometimes use them to guard the watchers and my opponents get very surprised just how nasty that unit is in combat (2 attacks from watchers, 1 supporting attack, banner from golden king and usually the shade nearby.)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Pox wrote:

Quote:

the only shortcoming my troops have is low defence, beyond that all fight value 4, plenty of attacks (And supporting attacks) burly two handed weapons, poison ahoy and banners - they pretty much hold their own in most games without the aid of a shade.

Then do not take the shade, your opponent will respect you more for it. I am a competitive player who plays often, attends events, and hates it when people complain about models like Legolas or Saruman being broken. That said, I totally agree with all the people who despise shades, they are the only model in the game that essentially gives every model you own 1 might point to use to affect the outcome of a fight. On top of that they do not require line of sight for their affect to work, nor is there any way to resist it, nor is there any element of chance (one of the basis's of the game) involved in their affect taking place.

I know I came across as a bit of a bumder in my original post, so sorry for that, but I am serious when I say it will be a more noble and honourable victory when you win without the use of a shade, sadly they have a broken and poorly designed profile.

On a more serious note, I recently converted a harad chieftain into a taskmaster, cut the spear and bow off, give him a hand weapon, then roll out a thin long line of green stuff, roll that into a coil, and glue the coil to a tiny, hand-sized, piece of plastic/metal (to be the handle) then glue this to the chieftain's belt. If you have a spare 'back banner' as I like to call them from the Harad raiders set, glue that to his back for EXTRA ACCURACY.

Also your models do lack the all important fight 5, i'd call that a shortcoming if you plan to play against elves. Perhaps the 100pts you save from not taking the shade could get you some reavers. But whatever you do don't take a shade AND reavers, literally no point playing against that sorta army :p
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
But whatever you do don't take a shade AND reavers, literally no point playing against that sorta army :p

On every tournament there is that one person... :p

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

used the shade for the first time in a long time recently (don't use him in 600pts) and can see what you are saying, if you know how to deal with him and are prepared he can be a massive waste of points but if you are not he can be a real pain.

so more then happy to drop him, and got some half trolls on order, either that or fill the gap with 2 barrow wights I have grown to like.