All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:27 pm

Post subject: Knight of the white tower vs Capt Gondor?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So I am finishing up my army list for a Tourney in Nov. I have an option with my force to either run a Knight of the white tower vs a captain of Gondor with shield.

Pros/Cons of the Knight
Pros: Higher fight value,2 H sword +1 to wound, special: inflicts 2wounds per hit.
Cons:one less might, one less def than captain. -1 on attack rolls.

this unit (either one I choose) will be on the front line with a spear support on him and a banner directly behind the spearman.

Pros: spear support works with 2 handers now so extra dice and a reroll
Cons: Capt Gondor offers better protection for himself and bannermen with solid in the way from ranged at Def 7 vs most of evil's Str2 bows.

Input please, Im doing painting now and there are not many people to play test against between now and Nov I am finding out. :sad:
 Post subject: Re: Knight of the white tower vs Capt Gondor?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Where are you based?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd go with the Knight. Captains aren't anything special, but the Knight is so incredibly powerful when up against a monster or multi-wound beastie, it's probably better to use him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Knight every time!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am based in Denver CO. I am guessing with the new Hobbit rules I will see more monsters, so that Knight might prove more important. I do have 10 guard of the fountain ct and Cirion to face down some fear based monsters if needed in my army.

Also, I am thinking about dropping a horn blower and 3 gondor warriors for 4 knights of Minas Tirith instead. Think 4 cav might help get some more kills on the flanks? or with a 60 model count army, do you think I will need the horn blower more? Seems like he would be an obvious target once I am deployed. :?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'd go with the Knight, but only because I like the model and flavour. Gamewise I think he's a liability, and his only real use is when paired with a decent hero (e.g.: Faramir) to team up on something big.

Since Gondor has average Courage (who knew the heirs of Numenor were so feeble...?) I'd prefer having the horn, especially if there is a wraith around.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

True, I guess I would deploy the horn blower as far away from the wraith as possible to aviod black darts. The Tourney will be good vs evil and also Evil vs good. You got to bring two armies to play. When I am playing Gondor, I will be seeing a lot of Nazgul I am guessing across from me.
Iv'e seen what one round of bad courage checks can do when your heroes are based. with a wraith close, i'd be courage 2 on everything which is horrible.
I should probably deploy the knight if I use him close to like Cirion against armies with monsters,. Call heroic strike with Cirion and let the knight clean up the mess when rolling to wound.

Yeah, I think I might go with the knight.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Okay my advice: drop the hornblower first off, I really don't think good armies need hornblowers, especially when they cost like 20pts (that could be spent elsewhere).

In terms of Captain v.s Knight, well I think it depends on what you have in the rest of your army, if you already have a handful of fight 5/6 heroes that can handle themselves and have enough might, go for the knight of the white tower, his higher fight will make choppin up enemy troops easier, he will not be slowed down by fight 4 elites like ferals, watchers of karna, and can draw with god damn reavers.

On the other hand if you feel you are not doing all too good on the might front take the captain, being able to call another heroic move/strike is important, but as i said the knight is a more solid choice in terms of slogging through troops.

Ignore the knights sword rule, two handed weapons suck and you will probably just use his one handed weapon anyway.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Currently I dont have anything above fight 4 (including my Heroes) :lol: .

But I have enough rangers and spear support in places that in effect, every model on the field will have fight 4 during the fight phase once we engage a smaller model count force(either in front or by spear support).

Also while we are talking rangers, can my guys in the front ( warriors of MT fight 3) feign with thier blades while being supported by fight 4 rangers with spears? In theory I should still be considered fight 4 in the case of the tie and get to reroll any ones the warriors in the front when rolling to wound correct?
Also if I have 60 models total in the army (that includes my heroes), I can run 20 rangers of gondor? thats 1/3rd of 60 or do I not add my heroes into my model count when calculating bow limits?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You are right on every count my good sir. If you do not have any fight 5 models then definitely take the knight. Have you got any named heroes in there like Damrod, Cirion, or Madril? Also holy cow a 60 model minas tirith army is a pretty terrifying concept :p
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am running Cirion, Madril, Damrod, Beregod, and the 5th Warband leader is still up for grabs, White Knight or Capt of MT. Cirion and Madril will be out on the flanks with thier 3 might each for Heroics and monster control ( Heroic Strikes packed with Ft Court Guard to follow them in for surrounds) the Center force will be rangers w spears with MT warriors infront as meat shields. Then I have a banner amongst them for rerolls once I cant fire at the enemy anymore.

Thats my basic deploy and then depending on the scenario, i can vary where I put my strong and weaker warbands.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok yeah definitely go for the knight if you aren't already running a f5 hero. What points list is this army? If this is 750pts like I think it is you seem to have a really solid list here :)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you use the knight in conjunction with another hero (giving you the chance to use the 2h sword), remember to feint! +1 to wound, rerolling 1's, on top of double wounds per successful strike, SO crazy!