All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:17 am

Post subject: Opinions on Khandish chariots/SUPER AWESOME MONSTER ARMY
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Heey y'all, just won a lot of two Khandish chariots, one with a king, one without, and I was just wondering how competetive everyone thinks these bad boys are. I'm thinking of slapping these guys in my monster list so it will look something like this:

Khandish King in chariot
Khandish Chief in chariot
Dwimmerwaik on armoured horse
Mordor Troll Chief
Burdhur
2 cave trolls

9 might+Dwimmerwaik sappin all da might.

Alongside the regular discussions about how effective the list is, i would like to know if anyone thinks it has too much cheese to it, no theme, no fun factor etc. To me the fact it is an evil all hero/monster list, makes it spirited enough. I have strayed away from the goblin king this time because he is kinda broken and one annoying model (dwimmerwaik) is enough.

Thanks everyone :)
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on Khandish chariots/SUPER AWESOME MONSTER ARMY
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Maybe a Shaman on a Warg to give fury saves to your monsters as some of them have no fate?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sadly there is no shaman in the game that can use fury on a troll, if there was I would be spamming dat bad boy all day long.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Sadly there is no shaman in the game that can use fury on a troll, if there was I would be spamming dat bad boy all day long.

If there was he'd need to be in the range of points of 800+ simply because I'd hate him that much...

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Its certainly an original list, with the potential to do a lot of damage, particularly with the monsters having "hurl" which will stop them getting bogged down. The ring wraiths courage modifyer will stop a lot of enemy charging you as well.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like it, it's as fun as the lists I've come to expect from you Marsbar! :-) I don't think there's much theme but I do think there's a lot of fun factor to be had.

As for how competitive chariots are I'm afraid it's all bad. I've only played Khand once and they had about 10 chariots but I was able to take them down without too much hassle. They have all the liabilities of cavalry but on an even larger base, even if you get priority and charge with them its incredibly hard to prevent them being swamped and trapped. The fact that yours both have characters on them should mitigate this to some extent but I imagine it'll be very hard for them to make their points back. Normal chariots are also quite susceptible to missile fire as you only have to kill the rider to remove the model, again, having characters on top should help with the durability. In addition, the fact that you have an army of juicy missile targets might make them slightly more durable as your enemy's missile fire will likely be spread amongst your beasties. They're also better in the new rules as they gain the Monstrous Attacks Hurl, Barge and Rend, although this is likely to be removed in the next set of FAQs - make the most of it while you can! :-)

Looking at the changes you've swapped Goblin King, 1 Cave Troll and Spider Queen for Burdhur and the Chariots harp?

Cave Troll for Burdhur is a good swap as you increase your Might, I'd probably be inclined to start with 1 chariot in place of the Spider Queen and keep the Goblin King but then you seem to be keen to ditch him.

Again, I feel the need to commend your attitude to your gaming, normally when people are complaining about 'broken' models it's because they're playing against them not with them! The fact that you want to make things fairer on your opponents is a rare quality to find in a wargamer - well done sir! That said, I don't think the Goblin King is all that broken, I think particularly in the context of the Misty Mountains list they need a big beasty like him to make them effective. Also, in an all monster like this that will break relatively quickly his low courage will cost you dearly come the courage tests (as we found in East grinstead!). I think ultimately your monster list is going to struggle in the current scenarios that depend on number of models to win so i say take the Goblin King, he's not incredibly broken and even if he is it's down to your opponent to find a way through him.

It's a fun list in any configuration - have the most fun you can with it!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569