All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:34 pm

Post subject: 400pt Moria and 400pt Isengard
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey guys, started to get into competitive play and my first ever opponent has been fielding dwarves. I do want these lists to work for any army, but mostly to kill dwarves.

400pt Moria

Goblin captain w Bow
10 Goblins w bow 50

Goblin Captain
10 Goblins w spear 50

Goblin Shaman
11 Goblins w shield 55

Goblin Captain w shield
Cave troll w troll chain 85

400pt Moria

Goblin captain w Bow
12 Goblins w bow 60

Goblin Captain
12 Goblins w spear 60

Goblin Shaman
11 Goblins w shield 55
Goblin Drum 100

400pt Isengard

Lurtz
8 Uruk Scouts w bow 72

Uruk Captain w armour and shield
8 Uruk warriors w shield 80

Uruk captain w armour
8 Uruk scouts w shield 72

Anyways what do you guys think? This is my first army lists btw so yeah c and c welcome :)

EDIT: removed some point values. Please reconfigure so the points reflect the total for the warband.

Post subject: Re: 400pt Moria and 400pt Isengard
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well I play Dwarves as my main and Moria as my first alternate so I can help you there.
Ill comment on both Moria lists but i like your first better so ill focus on it.

In a 400 point game the Moria Goblin Drum is not really worth it as it takes up 25% of your points lol, it's banner effect is of course nice, but not nice enough to offset that fact.
I would also drop all your goblin shields (unless he plays a majority of his force as Vault Wardens, Iron Guard, and Khazad Guard) as the +1 Def does nothing against his str 3 attacks, and with the points you can add a few more goblins. Also drop the troll chain to add even MORE lol (you will notice a theme here).

Drop the Captain's bow, he is far more effective in close. And to be honest I'd swap him for another Shaman, you just want that Channelled Fury to cover as many troops as possible. If you would rather not have 2 Shamen I'd consider Groblog as he boosts your fury to channelled automatically.

Final note: don't forget to charge your archers into combat once the battle is joined! You need every goblin in the fight!

Suggested Revised list:

Warband 1
Goblin Shaman
10 Goblins w bow

Warband 2
Goblin Captain
10 Goblins w spear

Warband 3
Goblin Shaman
12 Goblins

Warband 4
Goblin Captain
3 Goblins
Cave Troll

Total 400 points
You can take out the Shaman from Warband 1 and the 3 Goblins in Warband 4 to add in Groblog if you want.

Edit: Point Values Removed. Thanks for the heads up

MiniWargaming

Last edited by JamesR on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

First things first, you both might want to edit the points values in your posts, they're too specific for the forum.

As to your lists JamesR makes some good sensible points re. shields, Drum and numbers. I'm not gonna get into the whole Blackshield/prowler/bat swarm thing as it sounds like you want to make the most of your existing figures. I'd take JamesR's list with some character changes. Groblog's definitely worth it over a normal captain, with 2 shamen you should be able to cover most of your force and his special rule is superb. He also brings an extra point of defence and an extra Might to the table AND saves the shamen having to channel their Fury, essentially bringing another 2 Might - all for 20 points! I've also shuffled the goblins around to balance out the warbands and put the cave troll with Groblog for some protection. Assuming you've got all the plastic goblins and the cave troll all you'll need is the Moria commanders box and Groblog.

Warband 1
Goblin Shaman
8 Goblins w bow

Warband 2
Goblin Captain
8 Goblins w spear

Warband 3
Goblin Shaman
8 Goblins

Warband 4
Groblog (Leader)
7 Goblins
Cave Troll

400 points

As for the Isengard list it's (like your Moria list) nice and perfectly acceptable but won't be competitive in a tournament setting. All of your (OP) lists remind me of how the game would've been played when the films were coming out before all the evil armies got swamped with elites. Isengard is my main army and, unfortunately, the Isengard list above doesn't make the most of the strengths of the army. At 400 points a D7 uruk captain makes a good leader, but you'd then want Vrasku and an Uruk shaman. The list below would terrify most opponents and beat a lot of similar sized armies:

Uruk hai Shaman with Armour
12 Feral Uruk Hai

Vrasku
8 Crossbowmen
4 Feral Uruk Hai

That's 395 points so there's some wiggle room but you get the idea. If you wanted a third warband I'd go for what's below, it's low in numbers but high in Might and channelled Fury should protect your warriors and Ferals will rip through almost any other troop in the game.

Uruk Hai Captain with H. Armour and shield
6 Feral Uruk Hai
1 Beserker

Uruk hai Shaman with Armour
6 Feral Uruk Hai

Vrasku
6 Crossbowmen

400 points

Obviously feral Uruk Hai are expensive models but the fact is if you have access to them it's very hard to justify taking any other warrior type in their place - they really are that good! If you want to use the uruks you've already got then just get some different characters. A Shaman and Vrasku should be high on your lists.

Hope this helps - have fun!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr. Grant made a good point about making the most of your current collection and not going into the whole 'prowler/blackshield' thing, which I think was wise advice. That said, all you need to do to make prowlers is get some green stuff and make some hoods and bandannas for your shield goblins, then you suddenly have a hoard of semi-elite goblin infantry.

I would also advise against goblin bows if you have athe models to do so. I only say this because I have little luck with them.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I would also advise against goblin bows if you have athe models to do so. I only say this because I have little luck with them.

I only didn't do the same because my Goblins are freaks in the other direction, I most consistently fight elves with them and they outshoot the opposing elves almost every time lol.

MiniWargaming