All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:22 am

Post subject: 300pts Exiles Theme
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Had a 300pts match with Hashut last night... This was the list!

Gildor Inglorion
6 x High Elves (spear/shields)
4 x Noldorin Exiles (elf bows, wood elf spears)
1 x Noldorin Exile (wood elf spear)

Legolas (armour, elven cloak)

Post subject: Re: 300pts Exiles Theme
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My suggestion is to switch Legolas for someone cheaper or more resilient ;)
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Like haldir and a sentinel?
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thing about legolas in 300pts is that he can snipe the cheap heroes your enemy will likely be fielding, meaning that you'll likely have 2 decent heroes without any real opposition.
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just talking from our shared experience of him - his shooting has done diddly squat in all of our games so far and that's where the majority of his points lie, tbh.

Allying in some cheaper troops may be a wise choice (with a generic captain), just to bulk out the numbers a little.
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'm with Marsbar on this one, I think whoever has been using Leggy in your games must've been very unlucky.

I play against him a lot and he's a deeply frustrating enemy hero. I think some of the reason he might not seem to do a lot is that, when starting out, a lot of players see his strength as being able to shoot 3 times whereas his real strength lies in his auto hit rule.

Every turn, Leggy can essentially pick any important model within 24", no matter how well hidden they are and roll a single dice to wound them. He's great at taking down banners and enemy heroes. He'll need a 5+ against D5 or less and a 6+ against D6 or 7 and he's got 3 Might to top up those rolls meaning that against a D5 enemy he's essentially got a 50/50 chance of doing a wound every turn - it's terrifying.

I recently played with Marsbar in a 300 point tournament and my only loss of the day was against a Wood Elf army with Leggy. Throughout the game he managed to kill Vrasku (my leader) and my shaman who was running channelled Fury, the loss of Fury meant that when I broke my force disintegrated. Leggy essentially won the battle single handed.

He's particularly deadly in small games as your opponent's leader is quite likely to be D5 or less and possibly 2 wounds/1 fate making them all the more vullnerable.

If you give him armour and an elven cloak he also becomes incredibly hard to neutralise and he's no slouch in combat either.

In conclusion: Legolas - Urgh.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think the problems facing Legolas in our 300pt game were...

1) Deployment - You had 4 warbands to my 2 and both Gildor's warband and Legolas rolled 1-3 and had to start within 12 from the board centre. With you choosing to deploy all of your forces close too, this made the board very small. And with you outgunning me for a change, with your Rangers and Rangers of the North, this wasn't going to be a shooting match... not after turn 1!

2) Numbers - with us starting close and you outgunning me, I had to charge in. But because you outnumbered me, I had no choice to get Legolas in there to avoid getting swamped.

Basically, his strengths were negated. Sure, he rolled very very poor, quite like the first time you used him to be honest, but not sure rolling poorly should get him the chop from this!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A really solid list with Leggy at 300 is;

Leggy
Stormcaller
As many wood elves as you can fit (17 IIRC) with maxed out bows.

Leggy and the archers hurt you at range and the stormcaller messes up enemy formations allowing the fragile elves to either attack prone enemies or run away for a bit more shooting.......... Nasty.

I really like 300 point games. The low model count means that each model matters that little bit more..... and it plays nicely on your kitchen/dining table.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If I understand correctly you two play blue on blue as well, which certainly hinders Legolas' effectiveness due to the high defence of Dwarves.