All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 5:26 pm

Post subject: High Elf Army
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi guys, I'm trying to put together a high elf army and I would really like some feedback on an army I've put together.

So the army includes:

Warband 1:
Elrond on Horseback
5 Rivendell Knights with shields

Warband 2:
Glorfindel with armor
12 High elves with spear and shield

Warband 3:
Elladan/Ellrohir with armor and elven bows
6 High elves with bows

Warband 4:
Gwaihir
1 Eagle

If I am doing my calculations right this should come out to be around 1000 points so I might give or take a few shields here or there but this is the what I've come up with so far.

Some of the things I really like about this army:
1) It includes some elven cavalry, which I am a big fan of! I really like the rivendell knights because they come with almost everything from bows and lances to shields. They are some pretty elite cavalry and I would really like to have them in the army.

2) The army still has the elven warriors with shields and bows as a kind of "core" to the army. Glorfindel and the twins are no joke and I've seen them rip things to shreds when the task needs. Plus the bows from the twins adds some more firepower to the force.

3) I really want to use the eagles in this army because they are counted as monsters, they can fly, and they are pretty powerful in their own rights. They add a lot of mobility with this force along with the knights. With the new rules they have, I like to think of them as flying trolls for the good force in a way.

Some of the things I don't like about this force:
1) Of course being composed of High elves, they are really low in numbers for a 1000 point army. Not only are the eagles a warband of elves I'll never have on the field, but also the rivendell knights with elrond are really expensive. I'm afraid that the numbers really are just too small of a force to deal with a swarm. The only solution I can really think of to this would be to replace the knights or the eagles with more elven warriors on foot.

2) Bows are a really big threat to this force I feel. The knights don't have heavily armed horses, and if they are hit and killed, the knights turn into normal high elves with spears/bows/shields. Without the lance, or the charge on the horse, the rivendell knights are not worth their points. It just seems like a risk. Also the eagles are really big targets for this army. Some uruk-hia crossbows would rip these two parts of the army apart, and at this high of points, they would outnumber my bows by a lot.

Anyways, these are my feelings on the army. I really like it in a way, but I'm also doubtful in a way. I would really like to hear from people on what they think about this army. I'm not very good at putting together armies, I'm more preoccupied on painting stuff right now, but I think this is at least a good start to putting together a functioning high elven army. :)

Post subject: Re: High Elf Army
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'd mount glorfindel and let him run around with elrond benefiting from each others heroics and elronds magic. Also very powerful.
An all cavalry elven army would be cool.
But back to the point, with such low numbers, you will struggle to hold a battle line I fear. The problem is that the cavalry and archers probably won't be in the front line, so you're left with 12 elves vs 50 orcs or goblins or whatever. Not a good situation to be in.
Also, for the twins, they already have armour, so do you mean heavy armour?
 Post subject: Re: High Elf Army
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordElrond,

For the twins they have an upgrade for more armor in their stats so that's what I was trying to add in :)

A mounted Glorfindel would be awesome, but since I can't add him to the warband with Elrond and his knights or have him lead the knights, I'm not sure about letting him join up with them. If I place the two warbands right next to each other, or close, then this wouldn't be a problem, but I'm just thinking of different situations where they may be far apart. But then again mounted Glorfindel is just a beast in his own rights. I like the idea and I will try to work with it.

What you said about 12 elves vs 50 orcs is exactly what I was worried about. They just don't seem to have enough troops. I guess it would be better to just have the knights or just have the eagles and add in more guys to replace one.