All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:53 pm

Post subject: Knighty vs Thermo - Battle of Baconbutty
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Introduction

What a great community we have here at The One Ring. In the past month I have chatted to and gone on to meet and game with three superb chaps from this forum. So before I go onto this summary (rather than full battle report) a quick tilt of the hat to the forum and to KnightyKnight (Mark), Hashut's Blessing (Pete) and ste271276 (Ste!) for helping me with this great hobby!

As mentioned above, this won't be a turn by turn report as I've done before as no notes were taken and although Knighty took some photos and I have a couple, none of mine paint a picture of what was going on!

So apologies in advance Knighty for any inaccuracies! But I shall endeavour to do my best.

Post subject: Re: Knighty vs Thermo - Battle of Baconbutty
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

With Knighty unable to make the last few Thursday's in Cheadle and me taking a rare Saturday off, the original plan was for me to drive up to Warrington. Knighty tried to get us a table in his local GW but when that failed I invited him to be my guest for the day at Casa del Thermo in Stockport.

Realising last minute that my dining room table was in fact two and a half foot by four foot and not six by four, I quickly dashed to B&Q to have a board cut for us. With Stockport County playing at home, as well as some fun and games trying to squeeze the board into the back of my van, I finally managed to pick Knighty up from the train station (sorry to keep you waiting buddy!)

Really cool and friendly guy, I enjoyed meeting him muchly! I live around the corner from the station, so once we'd got ourselves and the board in, I brewed up and we got chatting and introducing ourselves properly.

I'd explained that I was very green to this hobby and would be trying cavalry for the first time and the game would be a perfect opportunity for him to try something new or different.

So Knighty brought with him tasty Witch-King led Angmar force, which allowed me to drool over some models I hadn't seen before, including his lovely fell beast and the shade model too.

The Armies

Thermo (Rohan)
W1 - Eomer (horse, shield)
8 x Westfold Redshields (TS)

W2 - Erkenbrand (horse)
8 x Westfold Redshields (TS)

W3 - Eowyn (horse, armour, shield)

VS

Knighty (Angmar)
W1 - Witch-King (3M, 10W, 3FT) Fellbeast
8 x Mordor Uruk-Hai (shields)
4 x Mordor Uruk-Hai (two handed)

W2 - Orc Captain
7 x Mordor Orcs (shields)
4 x Mordor Orcs (spears)
1 x Shade

(I think!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Scenario and Deployment

So we placed terrain and rolled for the scenario and on this day we would be playing High Ground. Victory points would be given for wounding the enemy leader, killing him, breaking the enemy and having models in base contact with the objective.

We marked an area in the centre of the board to represent the high ground (using some ruins) and then began rolling for deployment.

Knighty placed his Orc captain's warband with the shade reasonably centrally and close to the objective, whilst his fellbeast and mordor uruks would start closer to the board edge on his left flank.

All my warbands rolled to deploy close to the centre, so Eomer positions his cavalry on the left flank but quite high up, Erkenbrand deeper in the centre with Eowyn out on her own on my right flank.

Inevitably, our priority rolls matched... fine for Knighty but no shooting for me turn 1!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
I could spend ages typing out a big long article on how much I've enjoyed reading this so far (and its just the set-up!) but instead I'll just leave it at this, if I was the editor of White Dwarf, you'd be hired. Very enjoyable.

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:33 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I love the idea of people improvising stuff on the fly - it adds to the fun.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

greendragon wrote:
I could spend ages typing out a big long article on how much I've enjoyed reading this so far (and its just the set-up!) but instead I'll just leave it at this, if I was the editor of White Dwarf, you'd be hired. Very enjoyable.

That's very kind of you Greendragon! I'm glad you've been enjoying the reports. I apologise in advance that when we get to the nitty gritty of this battle, it'll be less report and more summary! But I hope it will be enjoyable all the same :)

Back to writing!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

We want to hear all about the baconbutty. Food is very important in this vicinity!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dorthonion wrote:
We want to hear all about the baconbutty. Food is very important in this vicinity!

And so you shall my friend! In good time of course, wouldn't want to spoil the tension prematurely :o

So back to the apparently now infamous Battle of Baconbutty... Get your popcorn and tissues ready one ringers, for this battlefield would run bright red (and not with tomato ketchup either!)

The Battle of Baconbutty

Screwed by the matched priority roll so unable to shoot, our first turn of battle was very much a turn of careful posturing, my own somewhat more sheepish than the Knighty's Witch King straddled fellbeast soaring forwards to dominate the right side of the board as I faced it. Eowyn accordingly drew out of his charging range of 12", her first steps not the boldest nor most courageous. But as Knighty observed, it was more tactical withdrawal than full blown retreat. And we hadn't even started fighting!

In defence of our Eowyn, she was a last minute inclusion to this force and obviously had missed the pre-tour training with the rest of the warbands! Down the Sons of Eorl I had wanted to include and with the brand new mounted Royal Guards from muppetslayer101's trade still unassembled, I went with Whafrog's advice of getting some cheap might into the force instead. With no support, we can forgive one of her less than historic choices this time around!

With his Mordor Uruk-Hai advancing towards the Witch-King side of the central objective (again, really liked these models on the battlefield Knighty!) and his Orc Captain leading his more advanced orcs and shade right into the central objective, I shifted the weight of my force to the left flank. Partly to move the bulk of the Rohirrim away from his Witch-King anchored left, but also to take a flank myself.

As the next turn proved, with his furthest right troops being those infantry in the centre who were very deep and without support, this allowed me to move many of Eomer's warband in a large C-shaped arc from the edge of Erkenbrand more centre/right position facing the hill right round behind enemy lines.

But this wasn't before black murder... the first ketchu...sorry, blood was spilled, the first drop that would act as pre-requisite for the torrent that would follow. The Witch-King, an utterly malevolent presence on that far right, moved adjacent to Eowyn, conjuring foul words I shall not utter here...

Channelling black dart and rolling for two wounds from his D3, Knighty scored the hits with the 5+

Less lucky with his strength 9 to wound rolls, he bumped them up with might and with Eowyn clearly green for this battle, her fate was death as she failed her own rolls...

A hero down in the second turn, I was already nervous as to what I'd let myself in for with the all mounted rohan test in game 4...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have been looking forward for your first battle leading the Rohirim since I sent you that link with Rohan tactica. I hope it proved useful in this encounter with the forces of the Witch-king. Keep the commentary coming. I am genuinely apprehensive about this Eored. I hope the will manage to pull it off. Did you end up ordering the Sons of Eorl you were planning to?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ah Thermo Reading this is helping my pounding head!!!! Looking forward to the rest of the report!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ah what no pics :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
I have been looking forward for your first battle leading the Rohirim since I sent you that link with Rohan tactica. I hope it proved useful in this encounter with the forces of the Witch-king. Keep the commentary coming. I am genuinely apprehensive about this Eored. I hope the will manage to pull it off. Did you end up ordering the Sons of Eorl you were planning to?

Thanks for your support and encouragement Constantine! You shall see how useful/useless that tactica proved soon enough, but won't give anything away either way :P certainly exciting to play nonetheless!

SouthernDunedain is sending one as a trade so I'm just short one more to complete the original Eored we all discussed and agreed on. Then just to get those bad boys painted!

Quote:
Ah Thermo Reading this is helping my pounding head!!!! Looking forward to the rest of the report!

Glad it's keeping you all on the edge of your seats! The delay in between installments isn't intentional!

Quote:
Ah what no pics :(

I have a few and Knighty has some too so we'll stick them in at the end :D I hope the writing can do it justice in the meantime!

The Battle of Baconbutty resumed...

Where were we? Ah yes, the utterly premature demise of our would-be heroine, with an instantly fatal black dart to the face! A ghastly chuckle could be heard echoing across the battlefield, sounded from the dark sorceror who cast the mortal blow. There would be no "I am no man" moment during this battle!

Nervously, I continued to shift my Rohirrim around to the left and away from the Witch-King and his malevolent steed. With a large arc of horsemen creating an invisible thin and spaced out perimeter in bow range of his advancing orcs just about entering the central ruin marked objective, the angles created for shooting were good and soon, orcs were falling in retribution for good Eowyn. I was particularly keen on targeting spearmen, various one ringer advice about ensuring the odds were stacked in my favour before any cavalry charge was ringing in my ears.

Knighty was keen to address this and with his Mordor Uruk-hai advancing to the right of the central ruins on towards my deepest units in the centre, he split his own, more central orc warband. Some made for the objective whilst the majority turned and headed towards some of the rohirrim that threatened to encircle them, with the shade close behind. Most of my cavalry were now broken into smaller groups, strung out away from their warband leaders creating a wide and stretched flank around the enemy's right.

Seeing an opportunity to isolate or overwhelm the split warband now some odds might be in my favour in combat, with more orcs being felled by bow fire too, three riders surged up the centre to the edge of the objective, with Erkenbrand and three more riders staying deep to check the movements of the Witch-king and the advancing mordor Uruks. I must admit, having to be so careful as to not put my cavalry within charging range was really getting the adrenaline going and this battle was already becoming a mixture of chess and cat and mouse!

With his centre now threatened and there being a real danger of his forces being split in half, the Mordor-Uruks abandoned their less central advance to move in and into the objective to their right.

With everything carefully balanced, it was time to distract Knighty with a well timed bacon butty! With the smell of bacon drifting like a thick, mesmerising mist across the field of battle, our contest earned it's name.

It was time to enjoy a cup of tea, take a breath and survey the contest so far. It must be mentioned, we were having lots of fun!

Only Eowyn has been felled on the Rohirrim side and so far, combat had been avoided, although various spearmen and two handed troops had been picked off by my well spread firing lanes. I was enjoying the skirmishy and careful nature of playing the horse lords, having had to be incredibly careful in positioning, of when to move in and when to move out. Knighty had reacted to all my threats and probes as of yet and thus far, I had resisted any temptation to charge in. Instead, the tension was created by an overawareness of distances. Distances to shoot, distances to charge, distances to be charged and distance from the Witch-King on his terrible fell beast...

I was more aware of 6inches, 8inches, 10inches and 12 inches than an adult movie casting director.

The distance I had moved in the centre was millimeters out of range of both an Uruk and Orc charge. Further recognising my designs to split his centre and isolate the smaller group of orcs, he pulled his sortie on his right flank back away from my furthest afield Rohirrim, who peppered him with arrows and throwing spears.

And then I won priority...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Do I dare make a comment about that third last paragraph....

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LOL wouldnt find that in a WD batrep!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ooooo tense......
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Battle of Baconbutty continued...

With priority won, I surveyed the battlefield. Sure, I could charge in but the counter charge would almost certainly guarantee the death of my riders on the centre. It was tempting as many riders were now in range of targets but something just didn't feel right.

And as they teach you in the military, if something doesn't feel right, it usually isn't!

Were the odds in my favour yet? I didn't think so... The casualty count for the forces of Angmar may have been escalating, by this point to maybe 8 dead, but charging in would turn this turn this battle from one of delicate finesse and posturing that was suiting the maneuverability and skirmishing ability of the Rohirrim, into a dirty, slog match in the centre, one which I wasn't sure I would win.

I resisted, with various one-ringer guidance again ringing in my ears. As of yet, just presenting the threat had been enough to execute a degree of control. The position and involvement of the witch-king being a testimony to this, staying as the anchor of Angmar's right flank, where Erkenbrand and several riders were squared off, as oppose to in the thick of it, slaughtering horsemen across my thin battle lines.

But with heroic moves to consider, I used the movement to bring Erkenbrand and some more riders into counter charge distance, moving more central, as well as tighten the noose to the left of the objective going right around behind his lines. I now had options to charge the rear, side and front of his orc and shade warband, as well as a few threatening the Mordor Uruk-hai on his own left, where the witch-king also lurked.

A mixture of throwing spears and arrows were loosed an again, less orcs would grace our field of battle with a beating heart.

Knighty moved to address my central probe, millimetres from charging them, such was the precise nature of our chess match. Both Orcs and Uruks surged across and squared up to my sortie.

Moving second, I carefully drew the string to ensure I was in counter charge range with many of my cavalry, before finally committing two riders to the charge. Knocking their adversaries flat, more Angmar met their deaths but now cavalry were committed to combat and in danger of being mobbed and dragged from their horses should priority be lost...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Battle of Baconbutty continued...

At this point of the battle report, nearly 4 days later, I'm struggling with the details having taken no notes and having intended only to summarise this piece, only to be goaded and flattered by the forum's interest in the contest!

However, I will press on and do my best.

Duly, the brave rohirrim who had entered the ruins were pulled from their saddles and dragged into the mud. Where I had probed, I pulled back, with the Witch-King now landing amongst the objective and supporting his own troops. As I pulled back out of his range, throwing spears were loosed and more volleys fell into the compact mass of orcs and Uruk-Hai filling the middle of the field.

I looked towards my opponents casualty pile and it was stacking up. He was only two from breaking and I did feel like I had a good grasp on the situation and what was required. However, I suddenly had flashbacks of the last contest between an alliance of Ste and I vs Hashut and how, in smashing our foe, we snatched a draw from the jaws of victory, forgetting the objective in our bloodlust.

I realised that if the game ended then, which was a real possibility if I broke him, he would go on to win! His entire force was now crammed into the objective, surrounded almost entirely bar 12 to 2. If I kept up my harrying tactics and we rolled a one or a two, I had no troops in the objective whereas his orcs and Uruk's barred the advances in thick ranks, supported by the shade and the Fell Beast.

Was it time to charge in? Knighty felt so, but I wasn't quite feeling it yet. I did, afterall, have him hemmed in, at bow range with good arcs of fire with some clear firing lanes on all sides. I'd only lost Eowyn early in the game and one horseman. His fellbeast had taken a wound earlier in the game and victory points could be gained by felling the Witch-King and so it became quite obvious that everywhere I could target him, I would.

Knighty, who had brought his fellbeast into the centre to support his foot troops for the suspected melee that seemed imminent, now found his main character being peppered and duly moved his fellbeast back out behind a treeline just north-east of the ruins as I looked at it.

This was surely my opportunity. Heroic marching some of my cavalry who had drawn slightly further away to avoid the Witch-King when he had been central (thanks to Knighty who advised me on the new heroic actions) The rohirrim charged the centre Orcs and some of the Uruks supporting. I moved some horsemen up on the right in range of the Uruk's that guarded that entrance, but also in range of the witch-king to attempt to pin him down whilst I made the odds count in the centre. More Rohirrim moved in from across my left flank around the back and into charging position but were still out of range. Some combats were won and others lost but where possible I tried to keep the odds stacked in my favour. Crucially, now my horsemen were in the objective, the Angmar horde broke.

However, the horsemen directed with charging the witch-king failed their courage tests. As I charged horsemen into his rear through the ruins, on the right into the Ururks, into the centre with Erkenbrand, Eomer and more rohirrim and also charges coming through the woods on the left, his witch-king was free to counter and duly landed amongst the horsemen that were charging the rear.

I had priority and picked the combats and learnt a harsh lesson when I DIDN'T do the witch-king combat last. Knighty proceeded to demonstrate the new Monster rule HURL, picking a rider up and hurling it into two others who had charged an orc. The hurled rider was dead, but those he hit were knocked prone and therefore, missed out on their combat.

I was surprised to learn they weren't automatically thrown and there was a lucky escape.

On my right, those rohirrim failed more courage tests in trying to charge the shade, who had helped Knighty win a few of the combats in the central melee. But the charges were hard and although we rolled for one more turn to continue, the Rohirrim had wrestled supremacy by the time the game ended.

Knighty and I shook hands and totted up the scores. Only 6 units of his had survived this bloody battle and 6 points were thus awarded. Meanwhile, with 3 points gained for breaking him and 13 riders in amongst the ruins this all mounted cavalry experiment had turned into a great victory for the horse-lords!

Seeing my opportunity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Summary

Firsty, a massive thank you to Knighty for travelling to Stockport and being a true gent throughout. He's a really top guy and the most important thing in the whole afternoon was that we both had a great laugh!

I'd also like to say that so so much was learnt during this battle, hopefully on both sides but certainly on mine.

The Rohirrim were massively fun to play, every move seemed delicately balanced and incredibly tactical. I could see very clearly why some might struggle with this type of force but I found it hugely enjoyable and I'm looking forward to doing it again.

I'd never played cavalry before but getting the charge is clearly vital and if you're going for it, it's not that turn you should be thinking about but also the next two or three. It's also about levelling the odds and despite all changes in the Hobbit regarding bow fire, it's still strong enough for the patient player to do this.

In retrospect, against a Witch-King on fell beast and shade, taking the 2 x RRG instead of Eowyn might have worked better in this case and certainly one of the most difficult things about taking the all cavalry is the low model count. Even with only 6 models killed, that's still a sizeable chunk of a 19 model army. But with 20 enemy models deaded by the end of this, on the whole they had performed well!

I'm really looking forward to meeting up with Knight again and getting another game in. He was a patient teacher, pointed things out I may have missed and offered some fab opinions.

From a tactical point of view, I stuck to a strict gameplan which worked on this occasion. I just really looking forward to seeing how they fare next time.

Thanks for reading all! Next time I'll take notes :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for the report. Though I believe hurled riders are auto thrown.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Pictures!

Knighty was in charge of photos so I only managed a few, but maybe pieced together with bits of the description, you might be able to paint the picture!

Knighty enjoying his bacon and cheese barm with the game unfolding in the background. You can make out on the board the rohirrim circling his left flank and his splitting of his orc warband to meet them, along with the shade.

Quite far down the line, after much posturing and the little sortie to the centre, I fell back out of range of the witch-king. This is Angmar pre-breaking and as you can see, already a thinned out force.

Shot from my right towards the centre

The rohirrim that failed the courage tests!

The noose tightens and we close in

Charging in!

The casualties!