All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:40 pm

Post subject: elven army help
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:27 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

what are your guys thoughts on the Guards of the Galadhrim Court as i was looking into them yesterday at my local gaming club and thought them to be very useful being high def and high fight elves that can support and shield and wondered the use of them in a army is a good idea or are they to many points
 Post subject: Re: elven army help
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:42 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've used them and found them to be pretty effective, especially when standing supporting Rumil they make a very solid unit that can take on far more than their points would suggest they should. Admittedly this was mostly before the new hobbit rules so they could stand behind another elf with a spear, now they need both have pikes they are probably slightly less powerful but i still think worth it.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, considering that you can field a galadhrim warrior with a shield and a spear for 10pts, you are essentially paying 2 points for the pike effect, and the 6 fight value. This means that, like sentinels, a handful of them in small numbers is great. The reasoning for this is that no other warrior in the game (besides elves and corsair reavers) has fight value 5, so the fight 6 is only needed to counter heroes, and since armies typically only have a handful of heroes, you only need a handful of these guys to counter them without wasting your heroes on them, capiche?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So when you say small number 5-8 or more
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Depends what points level you are playing at/how much you like them. Common sense is telling me that fielding 1 for every warband in your army seems like the logical choice. All i'm saying is don't go buying any more than 1 pack of them until you've used them.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree use them first then decide if you want more. If you end up with a decent amount (around 8 )then you could put them all in one warband with rumil and 3-4 other spear/shield and maybe a banner, this gives you a very solid center for your army. 8) but that would only be viable at about 700+pts as it eats into you points a lot.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The only benefit they hold is that of fight value and increased ranks, but since you can only have 12 men in a warband fielding 12 of them in one warband essentially means you have a 4 man battle line, i strongly believe their biggest advantage over regular Galadhrim warriors is the fight value, which is used to help your regular troops counter enemy heroes with fight 5 like uruk captains etc etc, and for them to do that they shold be regularly spread out.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Fair enough, I just really like having a pike block even if its small. To act as an arrowhead in your shield wall. A two warband sized shield wall could have 8pikes and 16 shields, it could look something like.....(R=hero,G=spear/shield galadhrim,C=pike)

GGG,GGRG,GGG
GGG,CCCC,GGG
G ,CCCC, R

Again only in bigger games, but it would be pretty strong. If an enemy captain with more than F4 charges part of the line without a Pike, simply swap the spear support for a 3rd row pike.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Surely you should all in some high defence troops (dwarves of AotD) to be in the front line and then support with 2 rows of gotgc?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Common sense is telling me that fielding 1 for every warband in your army seems like the logical choice.

1 per warband, even if you end up grouping them in one warband, isn't really enough. At 500 points that's 2-3, and you'll rarely get a chance to use them to their full potential. Since we can't make spear-sandwiches anymore, you need lots (say, 6 in 500 points) or none.

The F6 is a big deal too. Suddenly you have warriors that outclass wraiths, and tie up cave trolls and spider queens. Used properly, those extra 2 points over a normal shield+spear are more than worth it.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree whafrog, however my logic is simply that having 1-2 per warband in your spear line does the simple job of having someone who can nullify any enemy hero/spider queen cave troll regardless of where they place them, whereas grouping them up means that an enemy player can just deploy their big hitters away from that warband. I believe using them like this is the easiest way to field them now that you can't do 'spear sandwiches'.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

pre hobbit I used an army of Thranduil, Rumil, Haldir, War form galadriel, 9 sentinels, 24 Galadhrim court and a few others to mixed effect. Basically formed a massive pike block with the sentinels in the front rank singing away to mess with the enemy, move monsters etc while galadriel cast blinding light to protect everyone from bow fire. Might have to revisit that list at some point and see how it gets on now.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

See war form galadriel is a other one I would like to find out what people think also thanks guys for the advice so far
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I really like the war-form Galadriel, simply because she is a 3A 3W hero who can also cast blinding light, thus nulling the regular wood elves biggest downfall (low defense against shooting). That said, most alot of evil armies now hit on a 6+ anyway if they have moved, but i still like her.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Out of my two games with her she has been the difference mainly her -1 bubble is great against all evil players and helped hold the line after terrifying aura and sentials terror songs