All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:35 pm

Post subject: Opinions on army choice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey there,

6 years ago I bought some models, painted some of them, but couldn't really play the game. Now, my friends and I are getting back into this wonderful hobby again.
I own 1 mumak, 36 warriors of harad, 1 haradrim captain (the one standing on top of the mumak, he's in the mumak pack along with 12 warriors)
18 riders of rohan, 24 warriors of rohan

I read that Rohan isn't really the best army of choice.
I like the looks of Harad, but I'm slightly more attracted to the Good forces.
Should I further build my Rohan/Harad army.
Or should I start a Gondor army for example?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Opinions on army choice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey there,

6 years ago I bought some models, painted some of them, but couldn't really play the game. Now, my friends and I are getting back into this wonderful hobby again.
I own 1 mumak, 36 warriors of harad, 1 haradrim captain (the one standing on top of the mumak, he's in the mumak pack along with 12 warriors)
18 riders of rohan, 24 warriors of rohan

I like the looks of Harad, but I'm slightly more attracted to the Good forces.
Should I further build my Rohan/Harad army.
Or should I start a Gondor army for example?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Opinions on army choice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you've got a great starting point for both a Rohan AND Haradrim army from a warriors point of view :)

Which one you would like to expand on first is really down to your gut feeling. The best advice I was given in here when first starting not so long ago was to go with the models I liked the look of first, then go from there.

I'm yet to try my Rohirrim our yet, but by many accounts they can be great fun to play, if not slightly difficult to master and be competitive yet.

Your next step is to get the sourcebooks - kingdoms of men for Rohan and fallen realms for the Haradrim. This will give you a great insight into how to build your force. The warbands rule means for you to get started, you need a hero from the same army for every 12 warriors.

So maybe an Erkenbrand and Eomer for your cavalry and Grimbold and a captain for your infantry and you're good to go :)

Good luck and keep us up to date with your progress :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've answered this in the army thread :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:05 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Delirivm wrote:

Welcome back to the game! This is only true if you're playing very competitively, otherwise Rohan is plenty fun...don't give up on them yet :) There have been a few recent changes that make Rohan more viable, such as RoR not counting towards your bow limit, and throwing spears having an 8" range. Like Thermo said, Erkenbrand is a must-have hero, and if you want to field infantry, then you'll probably get good use out of Grimbold.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thermo wrote:
I've answered this in the army thread :D

Thanks, I didn't really know where it belonged :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thermo wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

So maybe an Erkenbrand and Eomer for your cavalry and Grimbold and a captain for your infantry and you're good to go :)

Wow, thanks! I think I'll stick to my rohan and harad army then, eventhough the other "factions" seem really fun too :D

I think I'll buy Erkenbrand, Eomer (there's no difference between the normal version (mounted+on foot) and the 'marshal of the riddermark' version? So the mounted and on foot package seems a better deal?), and Grimbold.

This would get me going, maybe after a while I'll buy some royal guard. Are they worth buying?

I'll keep you guys posted!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
Delirivm wrote:

Welcome back to the game! This is only true if you're playing very competitively, otherwise Rohan is plenty fun...don't give up on them yet :) There have been a few recent changes that make Rohan more viable.

Thanks! I'll stay loyal to Rohan, and maybe, who knows, they'll get buffed again in the future :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I suspect the next hobbit movie will make it so throwing weapons strike at the strength of the thrower, and remove the moving penalty on throwing weapons, making helmingas exceptionally good.

Either way, i'd stick with Harad, they are the most versatile army in the game in my opinion.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Delirivm wrote:
Thermo wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

Wow, thanks! I think I'll stick to my rohan and harad army then, eventhough the other "factions" seem really fun too :D

I think I'll buy Erkenbrand, Eomer (there's no difference between the normal version (mounted+on foot) and the 'marshal of the riddermark' version? So the mounted and on foot package seems a better deal?), and Grimbold.

This would get me going, maybe after a while I'll buy some royal guard. Are they worth buying?

I have a spare Eomer (mounted) Theoden (foot and mounted) and Eowyn (foot and mounted) which could save you some cash if you have anything to trade. Just fire me a PM and hopefully I can help:)

Royal Guard have a higher defence and are useful for giving support to a hero with the bodyguard rule. Grimbold improves warriors strength and Erkenbrand improves riders fight if you choose upgrades. But before you buy anything, definitely definitely invest in Kingdoms of Men sourcebook first. Check out greendragon in the suppliers forum, he gives great discounts for one ringers :)

Sons of Eorl are also arguably the strongest mannish cavalry in the game so worth a look :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thermo wrote:
Delirivm wrote:
Thermo wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

I have a spare Eomer (mounted) Theoden (foot and mounted) and Eowyn (foot and mounted) which could save you some cash if you have anything to trade. Just fire me a PM and hopefully I can help:)

Royal Guard have a higher defence and are useful for giving support to a hero with the bodyguard rule. Grimbold improves warriors strength and Erkenbrand improves riders fight if you choose upgrades. But before you buy anything, definitely definitely invest in Kingdoms of Men sourcebook first. Check out greendragon in the suppliers forum, he gives great discounts for one ringers :)

Sons of Eorl are also arguably the strongest mannish cavalry in the game so worth a look :)

Unfortunately, I don't really have anything to trade.
+ I'm from Belgium, which would make it hard to arrange things.

Anyway, thanks for the advice! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As I said, I would keep you guys up to date.
I bought the entire BGIME package 2nd hand for 250 euros.
Almost everything was on sprues or in the blisters + some special models you had to order seperately.
I now have a few heroes to lead my Rohan army, but I'll probably buy Erkenbrand somewhere in the future!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

And a heads up! Despite opinions regarding the lack of competativeness of the rohirrim, they've performed exceptionally thus far with me, with 100% win record! Great fun to play although you feel like you're always on the precipice with them!