All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:23 pm

Post subject: Re: Gondor 1000pts
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It usually is actually, Just come back from a long day, first time posting in a few days, wanted to point out the liability of Lonely Knight.

You've already said most of what I'd say. I did research on how to make a good Minas Tirith army earlier, but still haven't used it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hmm Boromir Cpt of the tower is a definate must, Gondor elites - Fountain, citadel are a must too. I would ditch all your womt spearmen and replace with elites. I would get rid of the allies and mass womt infantry. Also a few banners is a must. Have a play around. The amount of times i have edited my army lists is carzy. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

WB1 Denethor
5 WoMT with spear and shield
6 WoMT with sword and shield
1 WoMT with banner

WB2 Capt. of Minas Tirith
7 WoMT with sword and shield

WB3 Capt. of Minas Tirith
4 WoMT with sword and shield
8 WoMT with spear and shield

WB4 Cirion
4 WoMT with sword and shield
1 WoMT with war horn

WB5 Damrod
8 Rangers of Gondor with bow
4 Rangers of Gondor with bow and spear

WB6 Madril
8 Rangers of Gondor with bow
4 Rangers of Gondor with bow and spear

WB7 Beregond
2 Rangers with bow
5 WoMT with sword and shield

Cost: 1000 points
12 Might, 78 Warriors 85 models (breaks on 43 casualties). 29 bow armed figures (26 warriors, 3 characters).

It outnumbers quality armies normally by a good 20+ or so figures, in my experience, and the large number of warbands enables me to place the all important Rangers last. Against horde armies such as Goblins and Mordor Orcs the F3 and D6 tend to be decisive.

The look on most players of Evil when they have to rack up 43 casualties to break uou is worth it alone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi boromirofipswich your list certainly looks effective and I've considered doing the same thing at 750 point level , basically a WOMT swarm. Two things bother me though.One , it looks very boring to play with. Two , how do you go about manovering so many troops effectively , doesn't everything just get choked up and move really slowly especially if you have the advised amount of terrain .
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

boromirofipswich LOL Loving the sheer amount of models in that list
I think going off the advice on here Id prob put fountain guards with denethor but loosing a few WOMT just in case he does fail a courage roll
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes same as what Doctor Death says, are you playing with a recommended amount of terrain? It looks more like what I used to play, WOTR. That sort of army list is great on an open field, but you put the right amount of terrain on the board and you cannot manoeuvre everyone correctly, you end up having men just stood around not doing anything, yeah not dying, but also inflicting no damage. I have a large Goblin army and I find it a little boring playing with a horde, no real tactics needed, just charge in as many as possible. x
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Notlegolas: The last game I played had three GW woods, one Ruins of Weathertop (the one that comes in about a 1000 tiny plaster blocks, forget who made it), one other ruin and three copses, IIRC. The big difference, following my reading up of the Throne of Skull posts, is that we are now playing on a 6' x 4' board. It makes a HUUUUUUGE difference. Suddenly that new Heroic Action, 'At the Double' or whatever it is called, becomes very important.

Ste & Duc: It feels like my old WoTR Gondor army (looks a bit like it as well, come to think of it). I haven't grown bored of it yet because it feels 'Gondorian'. I quickly tired of my Goblin horde a few years ago, but that was when we used to play on a 4'x4' board.

I'm really starting to see the big difference that the introduction of war-bands has made. The number of minor heroes that you now need to deploy somehow makes your warriors coalesce around them, giving the skirmish game a more 'squad-like' feel, especially on the larger boards.

What staggers me is that I used to be a big WoTR fan and thought that LoTR didn't 'work' after 50 figures.