All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:28 am

Post subject: What are the positives and negatives of a Moria goblin army?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What should I do and what should I not do with a goblin army? Are those Gunabad Blackshields useful? I do not have the Moria and Angmar source book yet so I don't now all the rules yet for goblins and other monsters such as the the Balrog and Cave Drakes ect. Can the goblin Scribe be used in random skirmish's? :? I normally play 500 to 700 point size games so what hero's should I use? Thanks for taking the time to read this.
 Post subject: Re: What are the positives and negatives of a Moria goblin a
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That's quite a big topic really as the Moria list has lots of stuff and lots of combos that are really good. Firstly you'll need the book as we can't be too specific about rules on the forum, so you'll need to have the rules in order to better understand peoples suggestions. The goblin scribe is not in the Moria list, but can be used as an ally.

In general a balanced Moria list will have a number of elements.

1) Heroes. Moria has some cheap heroes with useful abilities like Durburz, Groblog and Ashrak. They're all useful, pick the ones you like best. Captains are cheap might and Shamans have 'fury', both are useful.

2) Lots of bodies on the table. Goblins are not good fighters (and Gundabads cost a lot of money), so the more basic goblins you have the better. Drums make them better fighters but cost a lot of points. Don't overlook bows, they won't kill much, but unhorsing cavalry at range is very useful.

3) Speed. Sometimes you just need to catch stuff. Wild Wargs, Spiders, Warg Marauders and Bats all help here. Wargs are cheap, spiders are very good fighters, Bats help you out against good fighters, Warg Maurauders give you useful cavalry bonuses.

4) Heavy Hitters. This is where the monsters come in. With the new Brutal Power attacks they all got much better. Cave Trolls, Dwellers and Spider Queens all have their uses. You're probably better off staying clear of Dragons and the Balrog until the 1000 point mark, but the Watcher and Cave Drake would be fine at 750.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the advice.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Cave trolls are always good! Swarm the enemy heroes with goblins and use your trolls to hurl stones at them! The stone is strength 8 and can do a lot of damage if you hit your targets, dont worry about killing your own goblins doing so - you'll kill the enemy model/hero before you run out of goblins! But dont forget that the cave trolls are even fiercer in cqb! :)

Durbuz also works well using his stand fast for your Goblins in combat, keeping them from running away in fright!

Remember to download the update v.1.1 from gw's homepage once you get the sourcebook!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Hobbit rules include a few changes that make a Moria force more effective. First, Cave Trolls are not actually useful thanks to the additional Monster Attacks (and other Monsters on the list become even more effective). Second, the nerfing of bow fire means that Giant Spiders and Wargs (and Cave Trolls for that matter) have a better chance of closing the distance to melee where they are useful.

But a cheap Goblin swarm is one of the key aspects of most successful Moria lists. Lots of models helps absorb losses and overwhelm your opponent. Cave Trolls, Giant Spiders, Bat Swarms (as an opponent I find these are frustrating to deal with most of the time) and Wild Wargs are all relatively affordable options to boost the force. If you go with a Drake, Dragon or Balrog (all of which should be better now with the Monster rules) you will loose your number advantage so you really need to play a different game. Another advantage of these monsters though is you don't have to paint as many Goblins. :-)

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Funny
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

/slipping into very bad Joe Pesci voice:

Funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

...sorry...too good of a setup.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:56 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

mass. one of their strongest points is the massing 1000 pt of goblins just goblins is 1: lots of volly fire hits. 2: lots foe surrounding and. 3: lots of fights. bad things losing fights a lot. when broken runs arway oftin. they hardly charge terra cousing modles. that's how i play my goblins and i do very very well
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:32 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Just a shame there is no volley fire now. If you ally in a shade, it makes your goblins a lot better.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

w8 no more volloys? hmm i gotta look that up now if its true D: that so Devlan Mud i wonder why they would remove it i found it usefull
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It was the first thing to be deleted. I queried Adam troke about it at the ToS last weekend and he said his reasoning was that volley fire took away the essence of a skirmish game.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:58 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hmmm on army's like a full bow army maybe so but on army's that don't do that i don't really see it as taking away the essence. and i don't play full bow army's since their just boring to play with