All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:29 pm

Post subject: The Hobbit: Guard the Crossing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:14 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

We've played the scenario 'Guard the Crossing' several times but never succeeded a win for the evil side.
The dwarfs're always blocking the bridge so that we never get 10 Goblins on the other site. We also don't get the Goblin King or we get him too late.
Any tips/ideas?

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit: Guard the Crossing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I only played it once, but the evil side also lost there. Funny thing is, the goblin king got in at the first turn, and still the evil side lost. The goblin king although really crushed the dwarf on one of the bridges, and thus if the goblins had 1 more turn they would've run.

Maybe try and just have the goblin king automatically come in at the first turn. I don't think the scenarios are THAT well balanced, coz, with the first scenario the goblins always win, the dwarves can't make it to the other side within the turn limit.

Above all, i belive the scenarios are made to learn the rules a bit at the time, while providing fun scenarios. I think :) They also state in the scenario book that if you feel either side need a little more help, try and alter it a bit. I think if you let the goblin King enter automatically at the first Turn you will see a close fight :) that's what i saw at least :)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Alot of those scenarios are designed to be linked so the good team get progressively weaker, which sadly means the evil team are almost guaranteed to lose early on :(
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well, the evil team seems to have an easy time in the first scenario imo? :)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I had a similar experience, with the evil side not getting past the choke points on the narrow bridges: Thorin holding one side, Dwalin on the other, with Balin floating behind on the platform just in case some goblins got through.
Afterwards, it occurred to me to wonder whether the Goblin King couldn't have used Barge in a nasty way, to throw the dwarf/dwarves trying to block him right off the edges... is this legal? It's not clear if the full set of rules are to be used in these scenarios or not, and if so what wargear options are in place. For instance, this is a great place for Thorin to use the Oakenshield to shield+strike; the point isn't to kill goblins, merely to keep winning fights.