All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:19 pm

Post subject: EfGT Scenario 2 Question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This might be the wrong subforum, but it's not so much a rules question, more of a scenario question regarding jumping in Scenario 2. I've been doing some of the EfGT scenarios with a friend lately, and we stumbled on the jumping part in Scenario 2, Save the Baggage, where Bifur, Bofur & Bombur gotta pick up the baggage marker.

On the layout we can see a spot where it says the dwarfs can jump, my question to others is, if we can presume *only* the dwarfs can jump here, or is it a jumpable place for both sides?

If we'd follow the rulebook, and presume both sides can jump this, the Dwarfs get overrun pretty fast, and the whole scenario ends up being a brawl in the start, with the Dwarfs generally ending up losing, so not much point of playing the scenario.

Interested in other people's views, findings en ideas on this.
 Post subject: Re: EfGT Scenario 2 Question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hmm that's an excellent questions. I played the scenario only having the dwarves be able to jump, i never really thought more about it since i just read it that way, but according to the "real rules" the goblins can surely jump as well, but does it make that big of a difference? When i played, the dwarves held most of the goblins at the bridge where they start (1 dwarf can hold a horde of goblins since he will only be fighting 2 at a time, given he wins the duel rolls). Having the best fighter hold i could have the other 2 jump across to fetch the baggage and kill the goblins present.

That's how my battle went at least :P

Edit//
Was curious, since you've played the second scenario i assume you've tried the first as well. How did that work out? i find it very hard for the dwarves to win this, tried 2-3 times and they just can't make it :P
 Post subject: Re: EfGT Scenario 2 Question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I actually haven't tried scenario 1 yet, since I haven't been able to paint up Fili & Kili yet, but I can understand what you mean, I take it the Dwarves can only kill max 2 goblins per turn when making good use of the clogging spots, that would mean atleast 7 turns, plus reinforcements. Maybe some heroic combats could do the trick, although if we'd follow the booklet the rules, these aren't allowed *yet* in this scenario.

Anyhow regarding Scenario 2, practically if goblins can jump, the dwarves should be surrounded by turn 2, and could generally loose and die on 1 bad roll, due to having less dice, and receiving double hits for being closed in. Also Bofur only winning on 5's doesn't help neither.

Also if we'd clog the passageway in the start, they should still be able to put up 4 vs 1 , or 5 when using Grinnah up front. Some goblins could even try the jump from that way behind the Dwarfs as well.

Anyhow if only the Dwarfs can jump it is indeed a stroll in the park, even though goblins could block the jump zone by moving 3 goblins near the edge. We tried again yesterday, and Grinnah got killed on turn 1, plus another 6 goblins in the next 3 turns, which made it a free stroll to the baggage, game was over in around 10 mins.