All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:16 pm

Post subject: Khazad Guard Heavy + Introducing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:11 pm 
Well this is my first post on this forum, and I'd like to ask feedback for my army list, but also to clarify a few questions.
A little bit about myself, I've been into this hobby since 2006, sometimes a few breaks (some as long as a year) in between, even trying to do WH Fantasy and 40K but I quit doing that because the SBG gaming community/opponents are mostly friendlier but that's just my experience.
Along with the new films I felt it was right to start again and make an account on the One Ring.

So here is my army list, it is not meant to be competitive, but instead representing a small Dwarf Hold somewhere in Middle Earth.
The profile of Balin (along with Durin's Axe) has to represent the Dwarf King (because he is better than a regular Dwarf King and costs almost the same points) and the Khazad Guard (I plan to use those new Grim Hammers!) as his council/bodyguards, along with 12 Warriors to represent some of his people.
Besides that I've included Boromir because I always use him in my games :).

500 points list:

Warband 1: (195)
Balin + Durin's Axe (leader)
10 Khazad Guard

Warband 2: (198)
Gimli
12 Dwarf Warriors (4 2h weapons, 4 bows, 4 shields)

Warband 3: (105)
Boromir of Gondor :boromir

--------------------------- total 498 points

Is that too many Khazad Guard? Too expensive heroes?
I'm not a veteran in making lists, so feedback is appreciated!

Then a final question:

I heard the new Dwarf models released along with the Hobbit sbg are slightly different in scale than the old ones, is that true?

I hope you could help me with these questions, any response is appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Khazad Guard Heavy + Introducing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, I'm sure you could see this coming but Boromir makes no sense (thematically or tactically). HOWEVER: If you like using him, use him! If you aren't making a competitive list i assume your opponents won't be using magic, meaning Boromir is being fielded in optimum conditions. Luckily the nature of dwarfs (high courage, high fight, high defence) means that taking chunky heroes alongside them actually works really well, the warriors can take alot of damage, while the heroes do the killin'. Nevertheless i would rather take Beregond+Spear warriors any day than Boromir.

However if you are going to field Boromir, then there is one thing you must do; mount him on a horse! If you haven't used a 3A hero on a horse before then oh dear will you notice the difference!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:27 pm 
Yea I know Boromir does'nt make any sense at all, however my 'plan' involved using his large amount of might, Fight and Attack values to rack up the kills (atleast it worked against Uruk-Hai last game) whilst the Dwarves hold the line and act defensively, seems about right if you look at their Defence and Fight values, while 'Balin' uses his might for heroic moves etc, and Gimli can be used for both roles, to give me more flexibility and hopefully saves me from stupid actions which I seem to make a lot.

I'm indeed not familiar with a 3 attack model on a horse, so I will try that out however I only have MoM & BGiME models in my collection, and Boromir on horse (as fellowship member) is not available at GW anymore, ah well I suppose I could maybe find him on Ebay or something.

To go back at the Khazad Guards however, is it useful to have so many, I mean they look nice and their rules are pretty good on paper, and while they fit in perfectly in my 'lore friendly army list' if you could call it that, I don't plan to lose a lot of games because of choosing a wrong core for an armylist even for friendly games, so maybe some advice on where they really excel at is appreciated so I can use them correctly (never used Dwarves before) or should I just stick to the regular warriors and play save?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey man welcome to the forum and to dwarves! 8)

I wouldn't worry about putting in too many khazad guard these guys are great(I've got 26)! I'd say your numbers are a bit low for 500pts, you could sort this by dropping Durins axe, swapping the warriors with 2handers and bows for shields and adding 2 more khazad guards to balins warband.

Boromirs actually not a bad call here because its hard to fill that 3rd warband in 500pt Dwarf armies the alternative I use is a captain and a couple more warriors. Good luck! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I don't believe the Marsbar said anything against the amount of Khazad Guards. As ardbo says, using large number sof them is a good idea, and a major factor in the competitiveness of this army.

In fact, if you didn't want Boromir, you could get even more Khazad-Guard. However you don't need to. Normally, 500 pt armies have 3 warbands and about 30-40 models, but since a large quantitiy of your Warrior troops are Khazazds I don't think it will be a problem for you.

You don't need archers or cavalry either. A banner would be nice if you don't have spears though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

good list, don't remove durin's axe, this is a good playable list, I play with less models at 500 points, but I should replace the 2-handers and the bows for more models with shiels or kuazad guards, they are so mutch better
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I had a recent 500pt game against a friend that has a large Dwarf army with a lot of variety.

http://tacticsinminiature.com/lotr-mainmenu/battlereportslotr/lotrbattlereportssbg/108-br-sbg-11jan11

He often plays with Khazad Guard and they are VERY good on the table as you know. This time however he had a number of Iron Guard in there. The 2-attacks really made a big difference as they can hold their own better when out numbered. I think a mix of the two would be great. I think this was one of the few games when he had Balin and did NOT include Durin's Axe. It wasn't really needed in this case but had he gotten into combat with my Troll Chief I'm sure he would have wanted it. :P He also rarely uses Dwarf Warriors with bows but often has some Rangers which he uses with good effect.

Depending on what forces you typically face, a few 2H weapons can be helpful, but probably not needed in your case since you have so many KG with the higher Strength.

My ONLY general suggestions would be to drop the few bowmen you have and also drop Boromir because I am a bit more of a theme geek and also because I think his points can be used to beef up the Dwarf force. If you want to stick to Boromir don't worry about it then. It's a game, and you should have fun with it. I generally build all my lists first from theme/fun and then tune for increased playability myself.

My suggestion to try (sans Boromir) would be:

Warband 1 10/12
Balin, son of Fundin with Durin's Axe
10 Khazâd Guard

Warband 2 12/12
Gimli, son of Glóin
8 Dwarf Warrior with Shield
4 Dwarf Warrior with Two-handed weapon

Warband 3 3/12
Shieldbearer
3 Iron Guard

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you want to be elite heavy, then Beowulf makes a good point, a handful of Iron Guard can mop up pesky 'straggler' units much quicker than KG's and you don't have to waste a hero to sort 'em out.

KG's have been overpowered since day 1, they are a fine core for any dwarf army. Also, YES do drop your 2H warriors for bowmen, dwarf bows are surprisingly good in my experience. A king's huntsman is always a cheeky way to fill out your points as well :)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:54 pm 
Beowulf that looks like a good list, everyone thanks for all the answers, I'm going to try the suggested lists/suggestions, a Khazad guard heavy list and/or a mix in between. Now I only need to improve my tactics...

I really like it that fielding a lot of KG are actually quite viable !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A 3A hero on a horse is beast!

Glorfindel and 2 galadhrim knights took on 3 phalanxes in consecutive turns and massacred the uruk hai