Two-Handed Weapon
-Warrior with Banner
-4 Warriors with Shield
-6 Warriors with Two-Handed Weapon

Warband 3
Barrow-Wight
-Spectre

498/500 pts

Idea is that Wights and Spectres compel/paralyze enemy minor heroes so the King can take them down. Shield Orcs are a screen for Dunlendings, and the Warriors with shield and Spear Orcs create support for 2 Handed Warriors.

I haven't had the opportunity to play much, so I'm still trying to get a feel for numbers and how to make a list, so let me know if I'm being particularly boneheaded.

Post subject: Re: The Muster of Angmar, 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:03 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If your deployment doesn't happen as planned, warband 3 will be immediatly decimated. I advise you to protect the wight, and a spectre is no protection, as it would in fact make it worse.

Dunland as Carn Dum however is a nice tough.

Two-handed weapon troops can be supported by spears you know.

It might be too low on numbers, but you know exactly what you need to do that can be okay, as long as you protect that Wight.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
It might be too low on numbers

I usualy play 24 models on 700-1000 points and I'm still able to play it competitive, I think he's not that low on numbers at all.

Aside from that, the list looks pretty good. I'd give the shield orcs spears in order to support all of your barbarians. I personaly like to use ringwraiths on FBs as annoyers and for forcing breakthroughs. Spectres are nice too, as they're able to gap enemy formations or help in trapping important enemy models. I don't know the rules of the Barrow Wights though, so I'll not comment on that one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If your deployment doesn't happen as planned, warband 3 will be immediatly decimated. I advise you to protect the wight, and a spectre is no protection, as it would in fact make it worse.

Dunland as Carn Dum however is a nice tough.

Two-handed weapon troops can be supported by spears you know.

It might be too low on numbers, but you know exactly what you need to do that can be okay, as long as you protect that Wight.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with the Wight. I'm playing around with the Warbands now, so I can give him a few more models to support him. With my current points I can do either 5 shield orcs, or a Spectre and 2 Orcs.

Also, I haven't read the Hobbit rules yet, but it's sweet that spears can support 2 handed weapons.

mastermanje wrote:
It might be too low on numbers

I usualy play 24 models on 700-1000 points and I'm still able to play it competitive, I think he's not that low on numbers at all.

Aside from that, the list looks pretty good. I'd give the shield orcs spears in order to support all of your barbarians. I personaly like to use ringwraiths on FBs as annoyers and for forcing breakthroughs. Spectres are nice too, as they're able to gap enemy formations or help in trapping important enemy models. I don't know the rules of the Barrow Wights though, so I'll not comment on that one.

Barrow-Wights have the "Paralyze" spell. Basically it shuts down a model hit unless you roll a "6" at the end of a fight phase. He'll basically shut down captains for execution runs, after the Spectre(s) draw them out.

Right now I've got

The Witch-King of Angmar
Fell Beast
2 M 8W 2F
-10 Orcs with Spears

Dunlending captain
2 Handed Weapon
-9 Dunlending Warriors with 2 Handed Weapon
-1 Dunlending Warrior with Banner

Not sure on Warband 3.
Either
Barrow-Wight
-5 Orcs with Shield

OR

Barrow-Wight
-Spectre
-2 Orcs with shield

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looks good, how're you going to play it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks fine but there is a problem however...

witch king with 8 will only? mount on fell beast? well that just 8 turns of combat you can use him, and even less if the enmy got a wizard to waste the witch king will store or break youre army.

I would make a key point for example spending radagast will trying to break the fell beast courage, at the point the fell beast would run or you resisted all attempts, you would notice yourself that the witch king would had been already gone spending all his will or almost at the brink of disappearing to resist a wizard (a model almost half his cost in total)

Then you would be concerned about the army, while this is a small toll, the other warriors just need to break youre army and you would see 50% youre army running away if not entirely.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Either list would eb okay.

@Galanur, he means 8 EXTRA will, he has 10 minimum.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ahhh 10 will, ohh yea my bad :P

Seems better but even so.... still want to know how good he could resist in those fights hmm carefull planning it seems :)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:32 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey mates. Sorry, didn't have time to post lately, been working a lot.

mastermanje wrote:
Looks good, how're you going to play it?

I was planning on using the Dunlendings as my hammer, the S4 and 2HW means they are going to be wounding those tricksy elves(my main opponent) on 4s or 5s(depending on their shield situation). The Orcs lend support with shields. Witch-King runs interference and pulls apart enemy formations and assassinates leaders. Barrow-Wights Paralyze key threats and make them easier to handle.

Galanur wrote:
Ahhh 10 will, ohh yea my bad :P

Seems better but even so.... still want to know how good he could resist in those fights hmm carefull planning it seems :)

Careful planning, or absurd luck :twisted:

Started converting my Spear Orcs today. I'll start a Plog as soon as my conversion bits come in the mail