All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:18 pm

Post subject: Deciding what sort of army to build
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:22 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

After the advice I received previously, I am torn between 3 types of army. Should I make a:
Rohan army
Gondor army
Easterling army
What do you think?
 Post subject: Re: Deciding what sort of army to build
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Which models do you like best buddy?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personaly I think Rohan is a really really neat army, but, as thermo said, its whichever models you like best 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This is what I do.
1) Pick the hero you like the most from those 3.
2) Pick the warriors you like most for that hero to lead, could be cavalry.
3) If you still are really torn between those armies then ally them e.g. Boromir and 12 Minas Tirith Warriors allied with Theoden and 12 Riders of Rohan.

For Evil I think you should collect that army anyway if you can afford it. You can bring in more people like friends and family and it's easier to play having another army ready. Maybe make 2 small forces 1 good and 1 evil.

Hope I helped and like the others said it's really which ones you like best.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What Imladris said - follow the froth 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you are down to those 3 I would say start a Gondor army, because you could always collect Rohan along with Gondor and ally them together.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

When I first came to the forum, the best and most frequent advice from the hardcore was to go for the models I liked the look of first. Start small, don't be wildly ambitious or overly competative and just learn the game and learn to love it before thinking bigger or overly complex.

As such, I went to two factions that aren't overly competative but I'm loving the themes and painting them!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

As the others said, go what army you like the most, bearing mind if youwant to start more than 1 army, it would at frst be best to stick to the same side. For eg, if you started a Rohan army, liked it, then you decided you want to expand with a few MInas Tirith allies, then build up that arm until you can field them both, it would be easier than starting with Easterlings, because Evil cannot ally with Good. Of course, if for eg, you then wanted Isengrad, then maybe Easterlings and Isengard etc...

Thermo wrote:
As such, I went to two factions that aren't overly competative but I'm loving the themes and painting them!

Except, if you started a couple of years ago, one of those (Grey Company) was extremely competitive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:

Thermo if I remember correctly you play Rohan? I have found a topic in Warseer that discusses (among the usual bickering about Rohan being underpowered) useful tactics. I will link it to you.

Gandalf the Grey, as the others have already said, the most important thing is to like the army both appearance wise and background wise. If you play with an army you don't wholeheartedly like you will soon get bored of it and you will have wasted your money.
For a brief period, some years ago, GW's articles had convinced me that I liked Haradrim and Easterlings.... It turns out that I didn't... I quickly got bored of painting and gaming with them.
For some months now I have wanted to start a Moria force. I first made sure that I liked the army and then gradually invested in it. I have not regretted my prudence.

The bottom line is start collecting an army you truly like.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Constantine wrote:
Quote:

Thermo if I remember correctly you play Rohan? I have found a topic in Warseer that discusses (among the usual bickering about Rohan being underpowered) useful tactics. I will link it to you.

Gandalf the Grey, as the others have already said, the most important thing is to like the army both appearance wise and background wise. If you play with an army you don't wholeheartedly like you will soon get bored of it and you will have wasted your money.
For a brief period, some years ago, GW's articles had convinced me that I liked Haradrim and Easterlings.... It turns out that I didn't... I quickly got bored of painting and gaming with them.
For some months now I have wanted to start a Moria force. I first made sure that I liked the army and then gradually invested in it. I have not regretted my prudence.

The bottom line is start collecting an army you truly like.

Great advice and exactly the type this forum gave me when I started :) For which I am thankful! Otherwise I might have gone for an "Umbar" or "Angmar" force to start things off, even though I love the Grey company and Rohirrim models.

@Constantine - That's right buddy! Got a 500pt all cavalry force being painted up, just short 2 x sons of eorl and 2 x mounted rrg but also have a 500pt grey company, short of arathorn and 6 RotN (but DMS has some lined up for me I think)

Thanks for the link! As always, I appreciate it my friend!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you all for your contributions, sorry I couldn't reply sooner as I was at school.
I think I'll go for a Gondor army as they are the lotr equivalent of knights in shining armour. I think the thing that pushed me to considering Easterlings is the fact that they have oliphants which appealed to me as they look cool
Once again, thanks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

And the Fiefdoms have the knights of Dol Amroth who are the closest you can get to a chivalrous knight in shinny armour. They belong to a different faction to Gondor, but are not so distant thematically, (Dol Amroth is actually a fief of Gondor).

But I don't want to coax you. I think the best think to do is to get a hold of a Kingdoms of Men sourcebook (which also has the stats for Rohan).
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

[quote="Gandalf The Grey"]. I think the thing that pushed me to considering Easterlings is the fact that they have oliphants which appealed to me as they look cool./quote]
Your confusing Easterlings with Haradrim. Haradrim have the Mumakil. The Easterlings are the guiys with the gold helmets with the ears. And they play similar to Gondor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've also just been looking at the knights of dol amroth.
Ahhhh, thanks for pointing that out.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you want to go for a Gondor army Boromir of the White tower, Faramir and Beregond are good heroes. :)

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you like knights then dol amaroth may be a better bet. Although to be honest, all good 'good' armies are comprised of a few warriors from kingdom A, a few from kingdom B, etc etc. So don't worry about 'choosing' which army to go for, because, especially with good, you will end up playing with multiple armies at once.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:01 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

ElfLover wrote:
If you want to go for a Gondor army Boromir of the White tower, Faramir and Beregond are good heroes. :)

Oh and how did I forget Aragorn :oops:

Check out my WIP! :meh: