All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:25 pm

Post subject: Re: 500 pt Rohan - thoughts welcome
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Agreed about the Str3. I suffer that with my primary Good army (Wood Elves) and often include a number of Elf Blade models to help with the strikes when I have the numbers for winning the Fight. Not much help with that in RoR though. It is discouraging when you win the fight, get the extra dice, and just can't penetrate the armor. :-( GW really left Rohan behind many years ago.

And as you pointed out, facing an experienced SBG player with a cavalry heavy force is always a challenge. They have very specific weaknesses and a good player is going to make your life hard.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In reference to the 'hit and run' tactic the op mentioned a few posts ago: No, once you are in a fight, you are committed to it. Chances are atleast one of your models will have no line of retreat so backing away any of your models only gives your enemies free kills and a chance to regroup. Almost any decent good army makes good use of allies. In the case of the rohirrim, i think eagles are the best bet, as they provide much needed hitting power against high defence models.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
In reference to the 'hit and run' tactic the op mentioned a few posts ago: No, once you are in a fight, you are committed to it. Chances are atleast one of your models will have no line of retreat so backing away any of your models only gives your enemies free kills and a chance to regroup. Almost any decent good army makes good use of allies. In the case of the rohirrim, i think eagles are the best bet, as they provide much needed hitting power against high defence models.

Free kills? Not if they're infantry, they'd be unable to keep up. As is clear from the entire tactic, this is made to plow through infantry. Take or steal priority, charge and watch the strikes add up.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

DingK wrote:

Free kills? Not if they're infantry, they'd be unable to keep up. As is clear from the entire tactic, this is made to plow through infantry. Take or steal priority, charge and watch the strikes add up.

Sorry, the point i was trying to make is that once lines there is a 90% chance that at least one of your models will have any potential line of retreat blocked off by enemy models/terrain, that's just the way things will almost always turn out. Because of this that 'trapped' model will essentially be a free kill. And even if all your models do have a clear line of retreat, running away only gives your enemies a free turn of casting spells/shooting at you. Breaking away from a fight with a chunk of models once you have already secured a victory against an opposing chunk is all fine and dandy, but hitting and running will never win you a fight, only the hitting part will.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Breaking away from a fight with a chunk of models once you have already secured a victory against an opposing chunk is all fine and dandy, but hitting and running will never win you a fight, only the hitting part will.

I guess I was speaking more from my most recent experience; the Dwarves contingent had one throwing axe (which my opponent kept forgetting) and no spellcasters.
In the end, it all comes down to the right tactic for the right situation. Against a block of Elven archers, running might not be wise, but against Mordor Orcs I'd risk it.