All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:38 am

Post subject: The Garrison of Osgiliath - 1000 pts
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey there folks. I'm working on a Gondor list for a tournament and was just wondering if I could get some advice, comments, criticism and general notes. So far I've come up with the following list:

Warband 1: 202
Faramir w/heavy armour and shield
5 Osgiliath Veterans w/shield
5 Osgiliath Veterans w/spear
1 Warrior of Minas Tirith w/banner

Warband 2: 104
Denethor
4 Guard of the Fountain Court w/shield
3 Guard of the Fountain Court

Warband 3: 88
Beregond
7 Citadel Guard w/spear

Warband 4: 172
Cirion
5 Warriors of Minas Tirith w/shield
5 Warriors of Minas Tirith w/spear&shield
1 Warrior of Minas Tirith w/banner

Warband 5: 167
Captain of Minas Tirith w/shield
5 Warriors of Minas Tirith w/shield
5 Warriors of Minas Tirith w/spear&shield
1 Warrior of Minas Tirith w/horn

Warband 6: 111
Damrod
8 Rangers
3 Rangers w/spear

Warband 7: 156
Madril
3 Warriors of Minas Tirith w/shield
3 Warriors of Minas Tirith w/spear&shield
4 Rangers
2 Rangers w/spear

That comes to 1000 pts exactly. 77 troop count, 13 Might, 10 Will and 7 Fate.

I had originally wanted to throw a wizard into the list, either Gandalf the Grey or Saruman. Unfortunately I feel that even at 1000 they compromise the troop number too much, so have opted not to take them for now.

Or would they be worth their points? Gandalf's Strengthen Will could benefit Denethor and Blinding Light is always nice. On the other hand Saruman is cheaper, has access to a better Sorcerous Blast and has the Voice of Curunir. But then with a steady range of heroes already, maybe that last point isn't as important.

Another concern is lack of cavalry. I thought about throwing in some Knights, but I hear they're rather fragile for their points?

That's about it for the moment. Thanks for reading over this, and I'd be grateful for any and all comments or criticism.

Post subject: Re: The Garrison of Osgiliath - 1000 pts
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:36 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If you can go over, give the othe Fountain Court Guards shields. It looks live you have actually themed up the warbands whichis nice 8)

You have a nice high model count with a few different elite which is good. You have forgone massiev hitters and, as you mentioned, wizardry. By doing this though, it makes you less reliant on certain heroes, monsters and caster sto carry the day, as they are all of a similar calibre.

The lack of cavalry isn't too badif you want to maintain high numbers.

There was something else I was going to say, but it has slipped my mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:49 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Is this for the ToS? if so, then they are very strict on the points limit.

Looks good Knighty, lots of high def models and you stayed away from cavalry. Gondor knights are too fragile imo. Out of interest, whats your plan for dealing with monsters etc?

Another wizard you could consider is calm galadriel, she can immobolise and cast blinding light. And she gets 1 free will a turn and is cheaper than the other wizards.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Radagast is another option as he can immobilise and he has natures wrath which is perfect against cavalry and the healing power (forgot what its called) all for a reasonable cost.
But the list looks good the way it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you Gothmog. One thing you'll learn about me is that I'm a glutton for theme :P

Aye Southy, this is what I'm hoping to take to ToS. And since I know you'll be taking them, no, I won't tell you how I plan to counter monsters :rofl: Just kidding. To be honest that is one of my concerns and a downside of the army. I'm rather limited when it comes to heavy hitters. I think the Guard of the Fountain Court could be my best option - Bodyguard rule to charge straight in there, high defence and spear support.

I understand that tournaments are strict when it comes to point values, but surely 1000 points on the dot is acceptable? If not I can easily take away a spear from a ranger.

Calm Galadriel would be a nice option, but as I say to Gothmog, my inner themist cries out when it thinks about Galadriel by herself allied with Gondor. It's always an option though, and I appreciate the suggestion. If the benefit of taking her outweighs everything else I may well consider it.

Radagast is also a good option for a supportive role as you point out Thecow. Again though, I'm really unsure when it comes to the decision on magic - is it better to keep my high numbers or lose some in favour of a wizard?

Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well it matters what you want, for example if you want some wizardry support you shoud use Galadriel or Radagast.If you want high numbers keep your list the way it is.
As you mentioned youre a sticker for theme so wizards would probably no be themefull unless you use Gandalf.
I would also suggest sticking Boromir somewhere if you can, as he plays a big role in Osgiliath.
So theres my humble opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I should drop the last warband and switch it for sauruman (or radagast, but sauruman is better in my opinnion) and with the 6 remaining points you can give a shield to both of your banners and a shield to your warhorn (i thought that was possible)
the last warband is unballanced becouse that will be a small unit without mutch power

TIP find some other 10 points to put your wizard on horse.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:25 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The last warband may seem a little uneven, but only due to the following reasons -

When push comes to shove, I find that Rangers can be pretty darn good in a fight. Their lower defence means they could always benefit from a little extra support though. With Madril's special rule and higher Might I figured this warband could be suited to the mid/front lines.

However, saying that it becomes clear that maybe I should switch my Ranger configuration around - put the ones from Damrod's with spears into Madril's and have Damrod's with all the archers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:22 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

couple more points I thought of (thinking more about your list than I do about mine :lol: )

With the new spear rules, you can put the FV4 stuff (FC,CG, RoG behind the standard WoMT and still benefit from the higher FV while giving the elite stuff protection from shooting.

In my experiences with the new rules, wizards have lost a bit of their potency as command/ Immobilise have got weaker. Especially now most evil monsters are resistant to magic. If you can fit one in, great, if not - the army wont suffer because of it.

Also have a much might as possible, with the new heroic actions might is drained quicker than water in the sahara dessert.

Final thing, I would aim to have 6 spears per warband so your hero can also have spear support. Remember warbands are 12 + Hero.

Mid Sussex Wargamers