All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 9:12 pm

Post subject: An Isengard army
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Was wondering if anyone could help me with a list for beginners, not really sure what should go into it or what size i should play. Mostly i just got what i liked. I was hoping to keep it pure Uruk if possible, but i do have a ton of mordor orcs with spears and bows and heroes if i needed to throw them in for support. I don't have any moranan orcs other than the command which would be better i thought. I don't know if it would be legal to maybe put in moria goblins since their points were cheap, or even if that's a good idea
As for what i have of Isengard and wanted to use:
Maybe an Isengard troll
Ugluk and Vrasku
Uruk command
Uruk captain with picka
Uruk banner
At least 40 Uruk pikemen
12 Uruk crossbowmen
I believe 8-10 Uruk berserkers
Uruk crew with siege ladders and bombs
Uruk crew with ballista
30-40 Uruk warriors with sword and shield
And i believe that's it. I would have to double check when i got home

"Bring your pretty face to my axe!" :gimli:
 Post subject: Re: An Isengard army
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:24 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Looks like you have everything you need for small and large games.

Isengard is pretty easy to start with. Begin with Vrasku and your xbows, then add Ugluk- and captain- and shaman-led warbands until you reach your point limit. Three warbands of 12 xbows, 12 pikes, and 12 shields should come in around 600 points or less.

If you're just starting out, you might want a smaller game. This is around 380 points:

1: Vrasku
8 xbows
2 berzerkers
2 shielded warriors

2: Ugluk
8 pikes
4 shielded warriors

For the non-shooting troops, go with, say, 1/2 pikes, 1/2 other. Of the other, maybe 2/3rds normal warriors, 1/3rd berzerkers. Pikes can support 2 deep, so it may be tempting to take 2/3rds pikes, but you'll need those other troops to hold positions, flank, etc. Just a rough guideline, you'll want to tweak it to suit your needs.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:13 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

whafrog wrote:
Looks like you have everything you need for small and large games.

Isengard is pretty easy to start with. Begin with Vrasku and your xbows, then add Ugluk- and captain- and shaman-led warbands until you reach your point limit. Three warbands of 12 xbows, 12 pikes, and 12 shields should come in around 600 points or less.

If you're just starting out, you might want a smaller game. This is around 380 points:

1: Vrasku
8 xbows
2 berzerkers
2 shielded warriors

2: Ugluk
8 pikes
4 shielded warriors

For the non-shooting troops, go with, say, 1/2 pikes, 1/2 other. Of the other, maybe 2/3rds normal warriors, 1/3rd berzerkers. Pikes can support 2 deep, so it may be tempting to take 2/3rds pikes, but you'll need those other troops to hold positions, flank, etc. Just a rough guideline, you'll want to tweak it to suit your needs.

Thank you very much! I will try going with the smaller force first to try and get a hang of things, and learn them and how they should be played. I appreciate it a lot! :)

I also was wondering if you or anyone else could answer what armies I should be careful with playing against, I'm still learning, but I saw earlier that elves didn't fair too well against uruks in a thread, so I assumed they too must have a weakness or group they're susceptible to?

"Bring your pretty face to my axe!" :gimli:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Uruks are probably one of the most forgiving armies for beginners, so you shouldn't have too much trouble, at least in death matches. You are lacking cavalry, so some scenarios may be more difficult. A few warg riders led by Sharku can help with that, or the new hunter orcs on fell wargs.

I said forgiving above because their high strength, fight, and defence can help buffer your mistakes. But once you know what you're doing, nearly any army will work, at least for friendly games.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:51 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A good tip for Isengard (or so I've found): Model all of your standard warrior warbands this way: hero(fighty one), 3x uruk with shield, 8x uruk with pike, and possibly a banner. The banner, though expensive, really helps, if you still lose a fight with 3 uruks and a banner you can start cursing your luck.

:puppy: