All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:28 pm

Post subject: Re: Future All Cav Rohan 500pts
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes, that would be good, and he people on this site might start to like Rohan (most of them think that they are not competitive
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Constantine wrote:
I think it's a solid list. The only minor comment I have would be to include a Son of Eorl in which warband since your army will be focusing on hitting power. Remember to pick your fights prudently and using Heroic Moves only when absolutely necessary.

I was just reading the GW Cavalry tactica on WD 375 by the way!

Nice! Can you bullet point some tips? Would make for good reading!

Thanks for the feedback buddy, do you mean include a son of eorl in each warband? so they each had 1 RRG + 1 SoE?

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
The list looks solid as it is. Lucky for you grey company make decent allies for rohan infantry, although the warband system slightly ruins this :(

Thanks pal :) That's good to know, in what way do they make decent allies and in what way does warbands slightly ruin it?

Some interesting theories on what would make rohan more effective! I've heard all sorts from changing the horse bases, to giving the riders terror on the charge so it's harder to counter charge them. All sorts!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well they have spears, bows, and cheap might, all of which are things an army need. For Rohan in specific being able to have a large bow force means picking off wild warbands and keeping enemies in place will maximise the effectiveness of your riders. The might is especially good now that heroic accuracy is a thing that exists. Warbands ruins this simply by potentially making battle lines much closer and thus less turns can be spent shooting.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Except that they don't have spears- they have throwing spears. You cannot support with them
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

LordElrond wrote:
Except that they don't have spears- they have throwing spears. You cannot support with them

He's talking about the Grey Company, the army that the OP wants to ally his Rohan with
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh
Sorry
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

KiliandFili wrote:
LordElrond wrote:

He's talking about the Grey Company, the army that the OP wants to ally his Rohan with

Thanks Fili n Kili.

I forgot to mention that Eowyn is a very viable choice and arguably the best for her points in the game (no joke she killed a hasharin and dalamyr in the same game this one time)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
RangerofTheNorth wrote:
SouthernDunedain wrote:
cough dont post specific rules like that cough. But yes, Erkie gives them a nice upgrade.

That wasn't very specific, I'll have to look at the book in store. Rohan has needed higher fight value troops since TTT, glad that's fixed, now if we can just get lances they'd be perfect

No, Rohan needs a standard spear option for it's infantry, or, as would be more logical considering rohan is the only army with throwing spears, make throwing spears behave like normal spears AND throwing spears woooah.

Sure, for the sake of not arguing, but I never take Rohan infantry, there's no point to me. Only thing they are good for is defending in seiges. Rohan is all about Cavalry so to me they should have the best, by contrast I'm ok if the infantry suck. It goes with their theme
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Aye, theme is why I fancy the all cav force, even though it sounds like it won't be too effective unless I master the tactics.

Look forward to giving it a good go I have to say!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Rohan is very finesse, you can be successful, but the best way to use them is like unarmoured wood elves, in and out strikes, always hit on the charge and make use of your heroes as your anchor points
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like the 2-warband list so far, but wanted to throw something else out there. After the nerfing of Throwing Spears (I'll accept the -1 penalty with bows but really dumb on thrown weapons too) wouldn't it be more effective to drop them and add one more RoR? I can't remember the match exactly so maybe it wouldn't be enough.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback buddy, do you mean include a son of eorl in each warband? so they each had 1 RRG + 1 SoE?

Exactly :)

Some advice I can give you is to always be able, if circumstances become unfavorable, to swiftly withdraw your cavalry from the fray, especially the light cavalry. Thus it will prove very useful to always have a hero nearby to call Heroic Moves in case you lose priority.
Furthermore, always keep track of the objectives and use the speed of your cavalry to take out important and unprotected targets.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I might be trying this out tomorrow, but am lacking the 2 x Sons of Eorl to complete the force...

Anybody have an suggestions to fill those points up?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Tomorrow! U gaming tomorrow pal??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ste271276 wrote:
Tomorrow! U gaming tomorrow pal??

I am! With no one to play with yesterday, I had to keep myself on a roll! Was going to head up to Warrington to meet and play Knighty but the GW is booked up so he's going to head down about 1ish I think.

You up for it pal? Are you free?? Be great if you are :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

How about instead of

Quote:
W1 Eomer, Marshal of the Riddermark (horse, shield)
8 x Westfold Redshields (TS)
1 x Rohan Royal Guard (horse, TS)
1 x Son of Eorl

W2 Erkenbrand (horse)
1 x Son of Eorl

... because of the current lack of SoE models

Quote:
W1 Eomer, Marshal of the Riddermark (horse, shield)

W2 Erkenbrand (horse)

W3 Eowyn (Horse, armour, shield)

or take up Knighty's kind offer of borrowing a couple more mounted RRG for the day and go with...

Quote:
W1 Eomer, Marshal of the Riddermark (horse, shield, TS)
2 x Rohan Royal Guard (horse, TS)

W2 Erkenbrand (horse)
2 x Rohan Royal Guard (horse, TS)

I will be learning cavalry and rohan for the first time hopefully tomorrow, thoughts and tips team?!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

1. Charge only when you don't have priority, ideally when you can place a hero and a couple others on a single model and prep a heroic combat
2. Don't be tempted to charge 2 infantry models with 1 cavalry model because of the even odds. You have to maximize the odds of every fight you choose to be in. You've upgraded your RoR so it's not terrible against normal troops, but don't try it against uruks.
3. Reserve Might for running away if you lose priority

Good luck!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
1. Charge only when you don't have priority, ideally when you can place a hero and a couple others on a single model and prep a heroic combat
2. Don't be tempted to charge 2 infantry models with 1 cavalry model because of the even odds. You have to maximize the odds of every fight you choose to be in. You've upgraded your RoR so it's not terrible against normal troops, but don't try it against uruks.
3. Reserve Might for running away if you lose priority

Good luck!

Thanks whafrog! Invaluable advice as always, I'll let you know how it goes! Any thoughts on what to go for, since I'm lacking the Sons of Eorl I wanted right now?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:07 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'd say Eowyn is worth the two RRG, plus you get more Might. Also, since all your RoR already have a missile weapon (bows), you might consider dropping a bunch of TS and taking another model. It means a little more finessing with warrior placement, but only the first guy in the charge can throw anyway if you're double-teaming (which can be a good idea if you're facing D6)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, I'm back to report on the 500pt Mounted Rohirrim after their first glimpse of action today against Knighty... Since we've not put together a report or summary of the game yet, I'll try not to give anything away in this thread. Rather, summarise the undertaking!

Firstly, it was a COMPLETELY different experience on so many levels to playing with my Grey Company force. Much more intense, with a dramatically larger emphasis on careful tactics. In my opinion, playing with them was incredibly enjoyable.

I was lucky to have a patient and understanding opponent who continually told me off for apologising for taking so long, but it really did feel like every little move had to be carefully considered and the slightest error could result in the catastrophe that would set off the chain of events to my demise.

I went for Eowyn in the end instead of the 2 x Mounted Rohan Guard... in retrospect, having played an Angmar force with a shade and a WitchKing on Fellbeast, the bodyguard rule would probably have proved useful.

Anyway, as I'm writing this post I'm becoming very very aware that it's difficult to continue without giving things away, so on to write a summary! Thanks again for everyone's advice and support. And to Knighty today 8)