All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:42 pm

Post subject: The Hobbit - first scenario very hard for the good guys?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all,

I just had 3 tries at the first scenario in the hobbit starter set (alternating between good and evil), but i actually found it very hard for the good guys to win this battle.

Please note, as suggested by the rulebook i am not using all the rules, simply those covered in that quick-starting book, and then adding the extra rules as each scenario suggests. So i'm using basic rules + the might and fate rules added in this scenario.

However, i find it hard to win as the dwarves? So anyone got some tactics, or maybe i'm simply doing it wrong? I don't find it hard to beat the goblins down, but i can't reach the end of the map in 10 turns, since the goblins are just massing up at the walkways, forcing me to only fight 2 goblins at a time, so it's impossible to win (since there is 9 on the other side, and i can kill 2 each round since they block for each other, so just killing those without thinking of the reinforcements will take 4 rounds, taking i win all duel rolls).

Also, i am a little uncertain on the reinforcements for the goblins. Where are they placed? i just place them on one of the big platforms (where they also start), but maybe it would be more balancing if they started where the dwarves do?

Whats your thoughts? :)
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit - first scenario very hard for the good guys?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I keep the bow back and shoot down the supporting Goblins. This means if you do a heroic you can move further up the walkway.

Yet to win but did come within 3inches last game.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Played the game twice. Once with evil and once with good, won both games. With the good side I think you just need to use te new rules perfectly. You must use heroic moments and fights to advance and reach te other side. I did it in only eight turnes :D . Honestly I had some nice diceroles too :-D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Seerex wrote:

Also, i am a little uncertain on the reinforcements for the goblins. Where are they placed? i just place them on one of the big platforms (where they also start), but maybe it would be more balancing if they started where the dwarves do?

The reinforcements come in, one in each corner (on a successful dice roll). You roll one dice for each corner and you get one Gobllin per 4+

If you are playing with all the rules and not just the scenario ones, then you would also get reinforcements from the scribe also.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

where did you get that idea from?
Mission The Breakthrough

NEW GOBLINS ENTER HERE is written at the top of the map so the goblins enter there. And by there I mean in base contact with the top most edge of the map but stood on the platform.

No confusion unless you have no eyes :P
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hmmmm, I thought he was talking about the first scenario (the one with the full platform and throne,). I don't know remember of they count it as a real scenario but think that is the one he is referring too.

I don't have my book with me so I might be wrong ;)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

cereal_theif wrote:
where did you get that idea from?
Mission The Breakthrough

NEW GOBLINS ENTER HERE is written at the top of the map so the goblins enter there. And by there I mean in base contact with the top most edge of the map but stood on the platform.

No confusion unless you have no eyes :P

Oh lol i didn't see that, terribly sorry. How silly haha :P

Well i hear everyone talking about heroic moves and stuff, but so far i don't think the rules have covered those, and it's just the basic move-shoot-fight + might to alter dice rolls and fate to save from a wound that are the only rules in this one. I'll have another game before Xmas and see how it goes, might try the second scenario :) its a good game, and the whole "learn a few rules for each scenario concept" is really good.

Thanks for helping lads :)