All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:48 pm

Post subject: SouthernDunedain & Chris GCOM (Pic Heavy)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

So if you have been following the chat, you'll probably know myself and chris are fairly local to each other. Needless to say we have arranged a couple games now and the scores look like this

SouthernDunedain = 2 Updated 28/10/12
Chris GCOM = 1

Chris won our first game couple weeks back but unfortunatley I dont have pictures.

We played again today (I was good), to the death, 1000pts.

His list was Witchking w/ CoM, Horse , KoU mtd, Khamul mtd on armoured fellbeast, dragon w/ tough hide and fly and a spider queen.

I had Grey company led by malbeth and the twins plus Thranduil, rumil and some galadhrim.

Anyway, enough talking and on with the pictures :D

Lowdown is I won 10-3. Surround the KoU (his general) with the twins and rumil and eventually managed to kill him. Also got the dragon down to 2 wounds before it fled but lost General Thranduil in the process. Keep an eye on this and I'll update it everytime we play.

Mid Sussex Wargamers

Last edited by SouthernDunedain on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: SouthernDunedain & Chris GCOM (Pic Heavy)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice pictures, and battle. I really liked the pictures of the chaotic battle line.

Go elves!!!!!(and grey company)

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

For me the best picture is the one taken as if the cameraman was in among the troops as the battle raged all around.

Well done folks.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dorthonion wrote:
For me the best picture is the one taken as if the cameraman was in among the troops as the battle raged all around.

Well done folks.

I shall bear that in mind when we next meet up for another game 8)

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The photo taken as if from the midst of the battle is the most evocative - great stuff guys.

More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Excellent pictures, thanks for sharing! And good job SD ;) :yay:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I blame my loss on the curse of the unpainted models ;)

It was a good game, Malbeth will certainly be on the lunch menu next time though, he managed to save Thranduil's and the Twin's bacon far too much, although I expect those Rangers and Galadhrim will be getting a well deserved archery lesson - who needs the Shadowlord :P I definitely need to pick up more Fell Beasts if I try this army again

I like the shot with the two Orc banners in the background ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:40 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

that shoot phase was indeed appalling. Think out of like 30 shots I only caused 1 wound to the def 4 Spider queen xD And dont worry, I have given those involved (and their dice) and stern talking too :rofl:

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Back to Elven boot camp fellas :lol: it is rather amusing how ineffective archery can be sometimes. My last game however, my Elven archers were the top players, raking in kill after kill. You never know how it'll turn out ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I've been waiting to see this battle. I was sort of hoping for it to be some epic fail so I wouldn't feel so bad about not getting a game so often :oops: but alas, it was certainly no fail.

Good game guys, nice pics. I really liked the look of those monsters, and as I'm no fan of Thranduil it was nice to see him kick the proverbial bucket 8)

Anyways, hope you had fun :D :D :D:D

ENCORE! :D ( :oops: I mean, REMATCH! )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
that shoot phase was indeed appalling. Think out of like 30 shots I only caused 1 wound to the def 4 Spider queen xD And dont worry, I have given those involved (and their dice) and stern talking too

I hate it when this happens. Although it can add an extra element of fun for the battle, but when units underperform so much... If it was somewhat below average I could understand but this is just too bad. On the other hand according to statistics your archers should be performing really well from now.

An extra question if I may. When you said Grey Company did you mean Rangers of Arnor substituted for Grey Company models? I always thought that Grey Company was the same as the Dunedain, just with different models. Do they have their own profiles and rules? If so that be neat. :twisted:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Constantine wrote:
Quote:
that shoot phase was indeed appalling. Think out of like 30 shots I only caused 1 wound to the def 4 Spider queen xD And dont worry, I have given those involved (and their dice) and stern talking too

I hate it when this happens. Although it can add an extra element of fun for the battle, but when units underperform so much... If it was somewhat below average I could understand but this is just too bad. On the other hand according to statistics your archers should be performing really well from now.

An extra question if I may. When you said Grey Company did you mean Rangers of Arnor substituted for Grey Company models? I always thought that Grey Company was the same as the Dunedain, just with different models. Do they have their own profiles and rules? If so that be neat. :twisted:

I used the 4 rangers of arnor for every ranger of the north (following warbands) thingy. I just called irt grey company as a collective term.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So we had another game today, this time I was the good side, taking Gandalf, Radagast, Thranduil, Haldir (Defender of Helms Deep), Gildor (I forgot Rumil) and Floi, with 23 Wood Elves (8 Spears, 8 Throwing Daggers, 7 Bows), 12 Galadhrim (4 Shields, 4 Spears, 3 Bows) and 5 Khazad Guard. I was up against Gorbag, 2 Black Guard Captains, a Troll Chieftain and a Mordor Uruk-Hai Captain with Bow, with about 25(?) Morannon Orcs, 8 Black Guard, 2 Orc Banner Bearers, a Mordor Troll and 12 Trackers. The scenario was Lords of Battle.

The game started off going well for me, Gandalf used Blinding Light to prevent the Trackers from doing too much damage to the lightly armoured Wood Elves, whilst my archers took down 4 Black Guard with Throwing Weapons and their bows, with Thranduil shooting an arrow straight into Gorbag's eye :D (although he passed his Fate roll :() I didn't really think about shooting everything I had at Gorbag and the Black Guard Captains, even though they were in the front rank.

After a few turns of shooting (and two Orc Trackers jumping off a building and falling to their death) later, and combat was reached. Radagast and Gandalf (and Gildor to some extent) kept both Trolls immobilised for the majority of the game, the Troll Chieftain only had one turn where it wasn't immobilised and at that point in time a Wood Elf had charged bravely into four Morannon Orcs nearby, stopping it from getting through the gap. I tasked Gildor and four Galadhrim with taking out the Mordor Troll, whilst four Wood Elves moved to deal with the Chieftain, managing to deal a wound to each of them - at one point the immobilised Troll managed to win combat against Gildor and the Galadhrim :roll:

The rest of my line was getting annihilated - I lost about 8 Elves a turn, with my Khazad Guard and heroes managing to kill around 12 Orcs/Black Guard in total over the course of the game (Haldir and Thranduil teaming up to take out a Black Guard captain and a spear supported Thranduil hammering the arrow into Gorbag's head) but eventually I was broken. Haldir and Radagast both failed a Courage Test, using a Will Point to make sure they passed it, whilst Floi (who still had 2 Will points left) and Gildor both fled the battle. The game ended before I had even managed to break the Mordor army - I think I won more combats when using my Dwarves against a Shade :rofl:

SouthernDunedain = 2
Chris GOM = 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

:twisted: <- This just sums it up. After gorbag and the BGC were shot and with the trackers falling to their deaths I really didnt think it would be my game. But squishy squishy wood elves. killing on 3/4 + is quite fun :D Didnt take any pictures this time, will make sure I do for the next encounter.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I feel that Floi was not very useful in the game. How did the Khazads fair against the Black Guard?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:17 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

he negated terror off the troll chieftain once before i got into combat with him. The Khazads didnt get near the black guard, they were bogged down by morannons and trackers. I killed more KG with trackers at str 3 than i did with morannons at str 4 :roll:

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I still can't get over losing to an immobilised troll. Shame on you Chris, shame on you... :no:

At least you had (slightly) better shooting than SD had in your last game ;)

It's a sad day for the Free Peoples.

Have to laugh at the leaping Orc Trackers though :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Constantine wrote:
I feel that Floi was not very useful in the game. How did the Khazads fair against the Black Guard?

Floi didn't really do anything, apart from batter a couple of Orcs with his book :) (and run away :(). The Khazad Guard did better than the Elves, but they mostly went up against Morannon Orcs and Orc Trackers (the Trackers killed more Dwarves than the Morannon Orcs).

KnightyKnight wrote:
I still can't get over losing to an immobilised troll. Shame on you Chris, shame on you... :no:

It takes skill to do that ;)

KnightyKnight wrote:
At least you had (slightly) better shooting than SD had in your last game ;)

It's a sad day for the Free Peoples.

Have to laugh at the leaping Orc Trackers though :lol:

My shooting was great :D (my choice of targets was not :P), and I think those were the only Orc Trackers that died :P. It's a very sad day for the Free Peoples, but not as sad as it's going to be next game ;) - revenge will be mine :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Photos? We want Middle-earth's finest photojournalists down there in the midst of the action.

More to come!