All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:52 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finecast defects
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:42 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Chief wrote:
Hey!
So i got my first finecast model today and i need a little help. I noticed a couple of problems with it . I bought the dweller in the dark and there was a few air bubbles on the one of the horns and a couple of the claws in one of the hands were not there at all. The tail was a little bent and it had two small bubbles (easy fix). Just my luck that the head and arm that i was not going to use had no problems whatsoever but the ones i was planning to use had problems. :(
Now i don't know if i should take it back to the store or if i should try to fix it. Also i was planning to make a WIP about it. Not really sure what to do here.

Return it mate - if the parts you need are no good then return it and get another - you've paid a premium price for the model you are perfectly within your rights to expect a quality product. I have returned the easterling commanders box 4 times now as the dragon knight has been rubbish every time.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the help 8)
I actually noticed that the base scenery or whatever its called was bent too. Don't really know how i would have fixed that.
And FOUR TIMES! I was planning on getting that box too. Let's see how many returns i have to go through.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Just out of curiosity, do you think that 40K and Fantasy finecast models have as many problems as the LotR ones appear to have?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Constantine » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:33 am
Just out of curiosity, do you think that 40K and Fantasy finecast models have as many problems as the LotR ones appear to have?

I am curious too. I have not seen a lot of the young 40K players with painted models. I think all some of them care about is how powerful a figure is. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:50 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

From what I hear at the store, there are more mis-casts than good sculpts but they are generally getting better. Still an issue with bubbles and bendy weapons etc.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:28 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sauron - Lower half of chin/goatee missing, looked as though it had been sliced off. Didn't realise until I was home and had assembled the rest of the model, having saved the head for last. I took it back to GW and showed the manager what was wrong, though it took him a while to actually realise it. Though once he did another Sauron box was opened up, the head in there was perfect and swapped out for my faulty one.

On a brighter note, I also recently purchased White Council Saruman. I can't stress enough how happy I am with this mini. I spent a long time searching over every little detail looking for faults, but found none whatsoever. But whether I've simply been lucky, the Finecast methods/process/product is improving, or it's more to do with the sculpt itself I have no idea.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It's probably a combination of the 3.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:21 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Since when did any Sauron model have a goatee?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Vampire countess - sword is nigh impossible to get into a straight position, have tried warm water and a hair dryer, keeps reverting back to the curve it was in originally.
Finecast crossbowman, ripped off at the foot when I cut him off the sprue, some careful gluing has fixed it. Rest of the crossbows were fine.

Ultimately my biggest issue with finecast is the price increase whenever they turn a metal model into a finecast one. I was lucky enough to order Erkendbrand the day before he went to finecast and doing so saved me £7. I do not consider finecast that much more detailed than metal to justify such a jump. Same feelings regarding the metal warrior blisters which have doubled in price. This is the reason I haven't bought much finecast because I just don;t think the cost is worth it.

My thoughts anyhow.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gondorian Captain wrote:
Ultimately my biggest issue with finecast is the price increase whenever they turn a metal model into a finecast one. I was lucky enough to order Erkendbrand the day before he went to finecast and doing so saved me £7. I do not consider finecast that much more detailed than metal to justify such a jump. Same feelings regarding the metal warrior blisters which have doubled in price. This is the reason I haven't bought much finecast because I just don;t think the cost is worth it.

My thoughts anyhow.

Add to that the fact that GW has chosen a pretty cheap resin, far, far, cheaper than metal and you may even cry tears of rage. :sad: Buy a mini from this German company and you see a beautifully cast resin figure. http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?group=84
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:34 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Until recently I have only purchased finecast in the form of Iron Hands Conversion kits for 40k (which were rather nice).

The other day I received a Dwarf Command box and while the shield bearer, banner bearer, and horn blower were all pretty great (a few minor and easy to fill in bubbles), the captain was horrendous. The lower rim of his shield was missing entirely, part of his splint mail jacket was gone, and he had two very large bubbles in his cloak. Unfortunately I got this off ebay, so no chance of GW customer service. Fortunately I'm pretty skilled at using greenstuff with all my experience converting models for Mordheim and Inquisitor in 28mm so I was able to sculpt the lower rim of the shield and the mail and fill in the bubbles (though it was not fun). At least it wasn't the face or I would have been screwed.

I will say after this experience though I am very apprehensive about buying any more finecast (I have no local stores that stock lord of the rings finecast :x ).
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
ITEMS BOUGHT : Warg Marauder and Easterlings commanders box

DEFECTS on first attempt - Warg marauder - Goblins arrows snapped and loose in the box, miscast Goblin face.
Easterlings - Helmet spikes miscast on 2 models

luckily checked whilst in store and exchanged - checked the second lot of the same box

DEFECTS on second attempt - Warg Marauder - Wargs foot miscast
Easterlings - thought I had a good box but nope .... Dragon knight has no fingers

Got my money back on marauder as no more in stock to exchange .... not a good start to my fartcast experience. Seriously worried now about an order I made from an online Indie - ordered Great Beast , Watcher , Dweller , Ashrak and Groblog . don't fancy my chances.

Got my replacement easterlings box through the post today - opened it up - 3 perfect sculpts and another fingerless Dragon Knight. Yet again kept the 3 good sculpts and returned the dragon knight for replacement to be sent. I'm going to end up with an army of Easterlings made up of captain, war priest and banners at this rate :roll: just want a dragon knight with fingers... too much to ask?

On a brighter note - Ashrak and Groblog turned up both sculpts flawless, Dweller also turned up with a bit of work needing doing but nothing major. Few bubbles , few broken ends on elbow spikes, huge bubble in end of horn on the head i'm planning to use .. bit of green stuff should be ok.

Still waiting for the watcher and great beast to turn up :o

Don't you get to keep the defect dragon knight?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:27 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Why is anyone buying finecast at all? This is ridiculously poor quality control at the very least, and they are charging what - about £10 for a single foot version?

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dorthonion wrote:
Why is anyone buying finecast at all? This is ridiculously poor quality control at the very least, and they are charging what - about £10 for a single foot version?

I agree.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dorthonion wrote:

Because I have a very hard time finding deals on metals and the sellers are willing to ship to the U.S. Most of the time when I try and find them on ebay they only offer shipping to Europe or even in some cases only to the U.K. As a result I've found that I have to order them from GW. But to make things worse for me, I'm find myself unable to capitalize on their fee shipping for the season a few weeks ago because the U.S. website always crashes when it comes to the verification of my card, so I find myself having to go to my local hobby store (No official GW stores in Las Vegas) and have them order it then I have to pay Tax on it and thus pay more than if their useless site would have worked...

Now for the two packs of Finecast High Elf spearmen, overall they looked good when I inspected them before paying for them in the store but when I got home and looked them over more closely I found that I had to pretty much re-sculpt the feet; most of the detail had been lost in thick flash. So I (who have almost no experience in sculpting) had to take out my hobby knife and files and reshape them. Didn't prove to hard to do with how soft the resin is but still took me a bit of time to make them look like boots.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That's terrible. :x Those are those are the only finecast I'm thinking of buying. I have 3 metal spearmen but I need a lot more. :sad:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

kidterminal wrote:
That's terrible. :x Those are those are the only finecast I'm thinking of buying. I have 3 metal spearmen but I need a lot more. :sad:

They are one of the oldest metal blisters, released during the heyday of the game. Be patient and hunt eBay and you'll find some. There are, literally, thousands out there...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hmmm... I've avoided evilbay for a couple of years now. Perhaps you're right. it could be the lesser of 2 evils.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They'll certainly be cheaper. I myself much prefer metals anyway, even over a flawless "Fine"cast specimen.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Me too! I let my ebay account expire. Oh well time to start a new one.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next